Top paid NFL Quarterbacks 2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Blanked from the playoffs. Combined for just 31 total wins.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/1079541315061403649[/tweet]

Polaris

Reaction score
Talk about minimal gain on an investment. Enough said.

Tical21

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":33hg6l64 said:

But I thought Russell Wilson was one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league. I'm certain I've heard that around here a bunch.
That isn't the correct takeaway from this. I don't think anybody has said he is paid at that level as of right now, heck, I don't think he was ever really top-5 highest paid. But he most likely will be soon. And now there is zero doubt that paying your qb that highly obviously effects the quality of your roster.

What this does, is exposes the flaw in the quarterback economy. It's a broken model. "He's a good/very good quarterback, open your checkbook and pay him whatever market price is." That has been the philosophy for decades, and for the past 7-8 years now, quarterbacks have really taken advantage of it. We are overdue for market correction. I've been following this for over ten years now. The last time a quarterack with a top-5 salary won a Super Bowl was 2007 (Peyton). And he did that with arguably the worst roster to win a SB as far back as I can remember.

The Bills chose not to pay Tyrod Taylor. They didn't want to participate in this broken model. It looks like it was probably the right decision for them. We're still waiting for a QB who is considered a top 10-12 guy or whatever to be let go. Soon, others will follow. Looking at you, Rams. For the most part, paying your QB like that is franchise suicide. You gotta be damn sure that your qb is good enough to make up for the holes that paying him is going to create on your roster. Even a QB like Rodgers, got paid, and they haven't been able to field a truly competitive roster since. It just puts so much pressure on your front office to draft well. Look at us. We paid Russell, and since, declined every year until this season, when his cap number became more manageable and we dumped a bunch of salary from other sources.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
You're right, Tical. The percentage of cap space that QBs are taking up has been creeping up for years, but the jump from 2017 to 2018 was quite large.

2015 - Rodgers - 15.4% of cap
2016 - Luck - 15.8% of cap
2017 - Stafford - 16.2% of cap
2018 - Rodgers - 18.9% of cap

So much cap going to one player makes the margin for error ridiculously small as far as managing the rest of the roster goes. You have to be almost perfect on who you're resigning, who you're letting walk and you have to consistently hit in the draft to keep talent in the program.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":9arq01rr said:
You're right, Tical. The percentage of cap space that QBs are taking up has been creeping up for years, but the jump from 2017 to 2018 was quite large.

2015 - Rodgers - 15.4% of cap
2016 - Luck - 15.8% of cap
2017 - Stafford - 16.2% of cap
2018 - Rodgers - 18.9% of cap

So much cap going to one player makes the margin for error ridiculously small as far as managing the rest of the roster goes. You have to be almost perfect on who you're resigning, who you're letting walk and you have to consistently hit in the draft to keep talent in the program.
There is reason why those 5 are not in the playoffs..
There is limit to how much your paying out before as Tical pointed out you have
serious holes..So that is what we are going to be facing but 85% of this forum
doesn't want to hear it...
The QB model is busted and needs to be dealt with..

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Not sure if this accurate, but in the thread from the Falcons Board, one of the persons mentioned this....

"They are already talking about a separate part of the CAP just for QBs - because of what has happened over last few years, essentially a sep escrow for QB and the other 52 players will be under the regular cap - makes sense because right now teams cant really team build if they have to pay a decent qb and are just going all out with a qb on a rookie contract."

I do not know if it is real or not, but I did ask where they got that information from. I hope for a response.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we have Russell one more year under his current contract, then things could get messy as a new Bargaining agreement period starts to happen and how that all is negotiated could really impact QB contracts as well as a lot of other aspects.

Does Wilson sign early for money viewed under this contract and lock himself in or wait to see what the new structure might be.

The other side does John and Pete sign him early or wait knowing what they want to push for in negotiations till a new contract happens.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Tical21":2it5jko4 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2it5jko4 said:

But I thought Russell Wilson was one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league. I'm certain I've heard that around here a bunch.
That isn't the correct takeaway from this. I don't think anybody has said he is paid at that level as of right now, heck, I don't think he was ever really top-5 highest paid. But he most likely will be soon. And now there is zero doubt that paying your qb that highly obviously effects the quality of your roster.

What this does, is exposes the flaw in the quarterback economy. It's a broken model. "He's a good/very good quarterback, open your checkbook and pay him whatever market price is." That has been the philosophy for decades, and for the past 7-8 years now, quarterbacks have really taken advantage of it. We are overdue for market correction. I've been following this for over ten years now. The last time a quarterack with a top-5 salary won a Super Bowl was 2007 (Peyton). And he did that with arguably the worst roster to win a SB as far back as I can remember.

The Bills chose not to pay Tyrod Taylor. They didn't want to participate in this broken model. It looks like it was probably the right decision for them. We're still waiting for a QB who is considered a top 10-12 guy or whatever to be let go. Soon, others will follow. Looking at you, Rams. For the most part, paying your QB like that is franchise suicide. You gotta be damn sure that your qb is good enough to make up for the holes that paying him is going to create on your roster. Even a QB like Rodgers, got paid, and they haven't been able to field a truly competitive roster since. It just puts so much pressure on your front office to draft well. Look at us. We paid Russell, and since, declined every year until this season, when his cap number became more manageable and we dumped a bunch of salary from other sources.

Lettting a top 10 qb walk may lead to a better overall team in the long run, but you also aren't going to win any superbowls until you find an adequate replacement. For every talent deficient team being pulled along by a great QB, there's a talent rich team being drug down by a bad QB.

I think when it comes down to it it's easier to have winning seasons with a bad team and a good QB than with a good team and a bad QB. It's simply safer from a win-loss standpoint to pay the qb, and in the end coaches are judged by wins and losses. And it doesn't take much to get you on the hot seat as a coach these days. For now at least I think GM's and coaches will continue to pay these QB's simply out of fear of what may happen without them.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I can’t wait for the first team that breaks the current model. Take a good to great rookie through his 1st contract, surround him with elite talent, and an offensive game plan that masks his deficiencies, make a couple of deep runs, then let him go in free agency. In the draft, you don’t need a Mahomes, a Foles will work.

This model requires a solid offensive coordinator, probably someone who combines head coaching and offensive coordinating duties. Unless something changes with QB contracts, it’s inevitable that someone will try this.

The Rams with McVay probably are the top possibility.

I know most of what I said here was said earlier in the thread, but it’s been the direction I’ve been thinking for several years now.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2652qlhs said:
Not sure if this accurate, but in the thread from the Falcons Board, one of the persons mentioned this....

"They are already talking about a separate part of the CAP just for QBs - because of what has happened over last few years, essentially a sep escrow for QB and the other 52 players will be under the regular cap - makes sense because right now teams cant really team build if they have to pay a decent qb and are just going all out with a qb on a rookie contract."

I do not know if it is real or not, but I did ask where they got that information from. I hope for a response.

Response.." I heard Mayock mention it on TV it was not in depth but said it is something a bunch of the owners are discussing amongst themselves."

THis may be a part of the new CBA if it goes thru. It will make things really different and probably end up making a New York Yankee type of League....with WWE implications as well. he he he

Marvin49

Reaction score
To be fair, the QBs of the teams remaining in the playoffs...

Texans, Ravens, Cowboys, Bears, Chiefs, Eagles and Rams all have QBs playing on rookie deals.

Rivers is ancient. Brady playing on team friendly deal because he can. Wilson will get big raise when he's up. So will Luck. Brees is in final few years and is well paid.

Yes, graphic is true that top guys didn't get to playoffs, but you have NO chance if you don't have a QB. Paying the QB makes it harder to succeed, but finding a QB you can win with on rookie deal is even harder and requires GREAT drafting at every other position as well.

The problems with alot of the teams that didn't make it with high priced QB isn't the high priced QB.

Garoppolo was hurt in week 3, is in a rebuilding project, and the team has loads of cap space. Paying the QB didn't hinder them.

The Raiders are stupid. Trading Mack and Cooper was moronic.

I never thought Cousins was a good investment.

Rodgers has NOTHING else on that team and can't do it alone. That poor drafting.

The Lions are the Lions.

Ryan certainly wasn't the problem in Atlanta.

Yes, it would be great to have a great team that coincides with a rookie QB playing like an all-pro, but you can never count on that. That model would have you dumping a pro bowl QB every 4-5 years and hoping a draft pick selected late in round one or in later rounds develops into a great QB immediately.

There are some team who have been waiting DECADES to get ONE of those guys.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3hvqf8dc said:

When Wilson first signed his contract, he WAS one of the highest paid QBs. You just forgot about this little thing called inflation, which is pretty fast in the NFL QB market.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/russel ... e-seahawks

"So if both sides win, how can Russell Wilson be overpaid? Because, come on: Russell Wilson isn’t worth Aaron Rodgers money. He’s not worth Drew Brees money. Heck, he really has no place near Philip Rivers’ tax bracket. Now he’s the second-highest paid quarterback in the league? It’s nonsense."
:les:

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
5_Golden_Rings":1dj5wyil said:
Seahawk Sailor":1dj5wyil said:

When Wilson first signed his contract, he WAS one of the highest paid QBs. You just forgot about this little thing called inflation, which is pretty fast in the NFL QB market.

"So if both sides win, how can Russell Wilson be overpaid? Because, come on: Russell Wilson isn’t worth Aaron Rodgers money. He’s not worth Drew Brees money. Heck, he really has no place near Philip Rivers’ tax bracket. Now he’s the second-highest paid quarterback in the league? It’s nonsense."

That was one thing I thought about too. He's not on his rookie deal anymore by a long shot. I remember this board :enraged: when he got paid, and we really didn't see an impact from it the way many thought. Yep, he'll get paid big again, just like all those those other names, and just like all the seasoned elites that are now on team-friendly contracts but were at one time. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees all were paid quite handsomely over their years in the league.

Those top-dollar contracts are only tops in the league for a year or so. After that they start looking pretty reasonable. As long as a team anticipates this, they don't have to break the bank and sacrifice 52 other guys to do it. Sometimes they do, but we didn't, the Patriots didn't, others didn't.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":225v2ff2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":225v2ff2 said:
Seahawk Sailor":225v2ff2 said:

That was one thing I thought about too. He's not on his rookie deal anymore by a long shot. I remember this board :enraged: when he got paid, and we really didn't see an impact from it the way many thought. Yep, he'll get paid big again, just like all those those other names, and just like all the seasoned elites that are now on team-friendly contracts but were at one time. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees all were paid quite handsomely over their years in the league.

Those top-dollar contracts are only tops in the league for a year or so. After that they start looking pretty reasonable. As long as a team anticipates this, they don't have to break the bank and sacrifice 52 other guys to do it. Sometimes they do, but we didn't, the Patriots didn't, others didn't.
But we did see an impact from Russell Wilson getting paid. Just look at the decline in depth that the Seahawks suffered. We had to let go many of our lineman, and we couldn't retain important depth pieces. Our team went to being a Super Bowl competitor to being a 10 win, one and done team since 2015. It absolutely did have an impact.

Unfortunately as it is there isn't much we can do about this. Wilson will be signed 100% and he might even have the largest contract in the NFL. Pete Carroll's job depends on it, especially with the ownership being in flux. Is it the right move? I don't think so, at least if you want a chance at competing for a SuperBowl. There is some really compelling evidence that QB's on huge contracts don't win Superbowls very often. It seems once these players get paid, teams change their identities around as well. We became a pass centric NFL team for a few years until we got back to basics this year. The Steelers won their SuperBowls with crippling defense, and a ball control offense. After Roethlisberger got paid they switched to being a high powered offensive team that passes a ton.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1io13krj said:
Seahawk Sailor":1io13krj said:
5_Golden_Rings":1io13krj said:
Seahawk Sailor":1io13krj said:

But we did see an impact from Russell Wilson getting paid. Just look at the decline in depth that the Seahawks suffered. We had to let go many of our lineman, and we couldn't retain important depth pieces. Our team went to being a Super Bowl competitor to being a 10 win, one and done team since 2015. It absolutely did have an impact.

Unfortunately as it is there isn't much we can do about this. Wilson will be signed 100% and he might even have the largest contract in the NFL. Pete Carroll's job depends on it, especially with the ownership being in flux. Is it the right move? I don't think so, at least if you want a chance at competing for a SuperBowl. There is some really compelling evidence that QB's on huge contracts don't win Superbowls very often. It seems once these players get paid, teams change their identities around as well. We became a pass centric NFL team for a few years until we got back to basics this year. The Steelers won their SuperBowls with crippling defense, and a ball control offense. After Roethlisberger got paid they switched to being a high powered offensive team that passes a ton.

The only reason we went to the pass offense is because Cables line couldn't block your grandma rushing. Not what Pete wanted.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":3n413ayz said:
Spin Doctor":3n413ayz said:
Seahawk Sailor":3n413ayz said:
5_Golden_Rings":3n413ayz said:

The only reason we went to the pass offense is because Cables line couldn't block your grandma rushing. Not what Pete wanted.
We also let go most of our lineman. We let Carpenter, Breno, Sweezy, and Okung all walk. I'd argue that this is how our team decided to compensate. They believed in Cables ability to turn nobodies into lineman, and they thought that they could get away with letting our talent on offensive line walk.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Spin Doctor":2qzop8q5 said:
We also let go most of our lineman. We let Carpenter, Breno, Sweezy, and Okung all walk. I'd argue that this is how our team decided to compensate. They believed in Cables ability to turn nobodies into lineman, and they thought that they could get away with letting our talent on offensive line walk.

I think that's it in a nutshell. It wasn't that we couldn't pay them, it's that they bought into Cable's "Let's turn this punter from West Virginia Christian into our left tackle!" plan. I can't believe it was really a money issue, because of the proven talent they passed over in the draft to pick these athletic freaks he thought he could train into usable linemen during the course of a preseason. I distinctly remember folks on this board pining pick after pick after the front office passed over the entire Alabama offensive line only to draft Who the Hell is This from Is This Even an Accredited University?

That's not on paying Russell Wilson at all.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ikzg5bnh said:

And let's not pretend that the only cap space issue was O-linemen competing with RW's contract. We had a number of big, fat Defense player contracts to fulfill, too. Pete believed the O-line could be patchworked and still function. I don't like it, but that's where he robbed from to pay both RW and the D, which are his focus.

Hopefully this year will create more stability on the O-line, and even if Russ gets paid, we can keep the rookie contracts coming.