Hall of fame Finalists

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Dunno if this is the right place as there are Persons familiar to our team...but it can be moved if necessary.

2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists
Finalist Pos, Team(s), Pro Bowls, All-Pro, Times as HOF finalist
Steve Atwater S Broncos, Jets 8 2 3
Champ Bailey CB Washington, Broncos 12 3 1
Tony Boselli OT Jaguars, Texans 5 3 3
Isaac Bruce WR Rams, 49ers 4 0 3
Alan Faneca G Steelers, Jets, Cardinals 9 6 4
Tony Gonzalez TE Chiefs, Falcons 14 6 1
Steve Hutchinson G Seahawks, Vikings, Titans 7 5 2
Edgerrin James RB Colts, Cardinals, Seahawks 4 1 3
Ty Law CB Patriots, Jets, Chiefs, Broncos 5 2 3
John Lynch S Buccaneers, Broncos 9 2 6
Kevin Mawae C Seahawks, Jets, Titans 8 3 3
Ed Reed S Ravens, Texans, Jets 9 5 1
Richard Seymour DE Patriots, Raiders 7 3 1
Don Coryell Coach Cardinals, Chargers
Tom Flores Coach Raiders, Seahawks
Pat Bowlen* Owner Broncos
Gil Brandt* GM Cowboys
Johnny Robinson^ S D.Texans, Chiefs
*Contributor Committee finalist ^Senior Committee finalist

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/1/3/1 ... y-gonzalez

Maulbert

Reaction score
Question: Steve Hutchinson belongs in the RoH, no doubt there, but does anyone think his jersey should be retired, or should that remain an honor for lifetime Hawks HoFers?

Edit-I don't blame Hutch for how it went down. I firmly blame Timmay, especially considering this is where the rift started that led to Holmgren's ignominous exit.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of no-question Hall of Famer there. Lots of good players, but Hall of Famers? Boselli certainly. Gonzalez, probably. After that? Meh.

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":eiw2pks0 said:
I don't see a lot of no-question Hall of Famer there. Lots of good players, but Hall of Famers? Boselli certainly. Gonzalez, probably. After that? Meh.

I'd say Gonzalez absolutely, Boselli, probably. He only played 6 full seasons.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know that. That's kinda d of wild. For some reason I missed Gonzalez's name on my first pass so I had to add him. But yes, he's more of a lock than a "probably".

My other guesses will be Ed Reed, Faneca . . . And then I'm just really not sure. How many do they do? Seems like it used to be 5 a year but that they started doing more in recent years. Coryell would be my pick/guess for the non-football player but I'm guessing Pat Bowlen gets in.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hutch at 5 times All Pro is getting hard to ignore for the hall. Coryell has been a finalist for awhile. He helped reshape the modern passing attack and was a consistent winner but without a SB appearance I wonder if he ever gets in.

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":g8jq74hr said:
Wow. Didn't know that. That's kinda d of wild. For some reason I missed Gonzalez's name on my first pass so I had to add him. But yes, he's more of a lock than a "probably".

My other guesses will be Ed Reed, Faneca . . . And then I'm just really not sure. How many do they do? Seems like it used to be 5 a year but that they started doing more in recent years. Coryell would be my pick/guess for the non-football player but I'm guessing Pat Bowlen gets in.

No one can argue in the time he played, Boselli was easily in the conversation with Jones and Ogden as the best LT in the game, he just got bit by the injury bug. He got hurt in '01, and the Jags had so little confidence in his recovery, they left him exposed during the Texans expansion draft. The Texans took him first overall, but he never played another down.

I agree on Reed and Faneca. Flores doesn't deserve it for what he did in Seattle, but he'll eventually get in. 2 Super Bowl victories are hard to overlook. Bowlen will probably get in this year considering his mental deterioration. They'll want to honor him while he even has a minor chance to enjoy some of it.

My locks would probably be:

Gonzalez
Reed
Faneca
Bowlen

I'm not sure about anyone else. Bruce will probably get in because they've been trying to break up the logjam at receiver.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":31c9xhqx said:
West TX Hawk":31c9xhqx said:
Rather shocking Gonzalez wasn't 1st ballot but he should get in this year. Reed too. Hutch at 5 time All Pro is hard to ignore.

This IS Gonzalez's first year of eligibility. He retired following the 2013 season.

My mistake. I read OP’s chart wrong. He, Reed and Bailey should all get in. All very well deserved. I’ve always thought Atwater should make it too-guy was tough and hit hard.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Lynch needs to be in because the 2002 Bucs defense is criminally underrated. They held opposing offenses to fewer yards per play than either the '85 Bears or the 00' Ravens (and most other all time great defenses), despite having I think it was the 27th ranked rushing offense (and we all know how a good rushing attack helps a defense).

So does Simeon Rice and Ronde Barber.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3b4px2qp said:
Maulbert":3b4px2qp said:
West TX Hawk":3b4px2qp said:
Rather shocking Gonzalez wasn't 1st ballot but he should get in this year. Reed too. Hutch at 5 time All Pro is hard to ignore.

This IS Gonzalez's first year of eligibility. He retired following the 2013 season.

My mistake. I read OP’s chart wrong. He, Reed and Bailey should all get in. All very well deserved. I’ve always thought Atwater should make it too-guy was tough and hit hard.

I dunno about Gonzalez getting in....he got flushed out the airplane by Xander Cage in an easy manner. And tossed by Xander on a pallet out of a C-17?....you may wanna reconsider. :sarcasm_off:

On the chart, I just copied and pasted. I tried to adjust it and well, it did not want to work. Such is life.

acer1240

Reaction score
kobebryant":oq4z07pk said:
It's time for Hutch. Greatest guard of his generation.

I hate that poison pill signing piece of shit but I tend to agree.

He deserves it

sdog1981

Reaction score
Reed, Baily, Gonzolez are the locks.

Then it is a mixed bag from the Oline position. Good to see more than one guard on the list.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How is Coryell not a HOF?

His concepts and coaching literally changed football.

A lot of the football we see now is the direct result of his work.

He might not be the greatest coach ever but he certainly was the inventor of a lot in modern football that we consider to be the hallmark of great football games.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":51u06l3x said:
How is Coryell not a HOF?

His concepts and coaching literally changed football.

A lot of the football we see now is the direct result of his work.

He might not be the greatest coach ever but he certainly was the inventor of a lot in modern football that we consider to be the hallmark of great football games.
Yes Coryell needs to be in, no question.

DJrmb

Reaction score
sdog1981":3re7psy5 said:
Reed, Baily, Gonzolez are the locks.

Then it is a mixed bag from the Oline position. Good to see more than one guard on the list.
This is 100% right. Those 3 guys should all be 1st ballot guys.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Isaac Bruce should get in IMO.

He is 5th all time in receiving yards (three of the top four are in and the other is Larry Fitz).

In 1995 he had 119 catches for 1781 yards - as a team the total amount of yards was 5236. That's a WR accounting for 34% of a team's yards.

On top of that, his QBs were Chris Miller and Mark Rypien - who combined for a passer rating of 77. The next best weapon on offense was a disgruntled Jerome Bettis, who totaled 743 yards and 3 TDs, with 3.5 YPC.

He also has the most underrated super bowl play of all time. It should be viewed as the best play by a WR in super bowl history, as it's the only play of its kind (long game winning catch in the fourth quarter of a tie game).

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2fwd0v2p said:
Isaac Bruce should get in IMO.

He is 5th all time in receiving yards (three of the top four are in and the other is Larry Fitz).

In 1995 he had 119 catches for 1781 yards - as a team the total amount of yards was 5236. That's a WR accounting for 34% of a team's yards.

On top of that, his QBs were Chris Miller and Mark Rypien - who combined for a passer rating of 77. The next best weapon on offense was a disgruntled Jerome Bettis, who totaled 743 yards and 3 TDs, with 3.5 YPC.

He also has the most underrated super bowl play of all time. It should be viewed as the best play by a WR in super bowl history, as it's the only play of its kind (long game winning catch in the fourth quarter of a tie game).

I was thinking this as well. As I recall most games in that timeframe, he was all over the place getting things done for the Rams. Great skills.