Kingsbury denied permission to talk to NFL teams

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Don't know anything about him. But USC denied multiple teams before they announced this. I know the Jets wanted him also.

But there is also this.

The Myriad Potential Legal Implications of Cloudy 'Kliff Kingsbury Situation'

In attempting to interview Kingsbury, both the Jets and Cardinals have followed a new league procedure. As reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the NFL recently imposed a rule that requires NFL teams to request permission from the athletic director of a college for permission to interview. This request must be made before the NFL team can conduct the interview. A failure to make such a request can constitute “conduct detrimental” and lead to forfeiture of NFL draft picks. The rule also strongly encourages that NFL teams honor a denial by the athletic director.

The Jets and Cardinals asked USC athletic director Lynn Swann for permission to interview Kingsbury. At least initially, Swann said no. Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reports that Kingsbury might now walk away from his job at USC by buying out the remainder of his contract. On Monday afternoon, both Schefter and Fox Sports’s Jay Glazer reported that Kingsbury had begun to interview with NFL teams.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/kliff ... plications

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow. I could see him getting an OC position in the NFL but jumping right to head coach? Thank you Cardinals for ensuring the Seahawks will win at least two games every season for the foreseeable future.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Lynn Swann of the Pitty burgh Stealers is AD there.....Wow. I remember him back when I was...........nevermind.. :mrgreen:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The guy led one of the most explosive and interesting offenses in all of college football. He never got the support from Tech that would be needed to turn them into a perennial powerhouse, even with support it's probably an impossible task, given the competition from bigger programs in the region. Pair him up with a solid D-coordinator, and a young, stud QB, and he could prove to be a thorn in our side. Perhaps the jump straight to HC is premature, but that's probably what it takes to land him.

The questions are, will he prove to be more Kelly or more McVay/ Nagy, and will he stick with Rosen or go after Haskins with the first pick?

I'm a fan of the hire, but then I really have enjoyed watching his offenses over the last several years, especially when Mahomes was there.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rat":3vsupun7 said:
The NFCW is now three guys in their 30s and 67-year-old Pete Carroll.

Sure, but those other coaches will be in their 60s by the time Pete hangs it up!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Rat":2e31nslh said:

But Pete has the energy of a guy half his age...at least that's what the commentators tell me EVERY damn week right after they show someone throwing fish at Pike Place, but before they talk about the Griffin brothers.

Rat

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3iuklj8s said:
Rat":3iuklj8s said:

But Pete has the energy of a guy half his age...at least that's what the commentators tell me EVERY damn week right after they show someone throwing fish at Pike Place, but before they talk about the Griffin brothers.

(Fade to commercial).... with the lights out, it's less dangerous... here we are now, entertain us.....

Maulbert

Reaction score
Rat":vr8m0amv said:

Since the Hawks hired Pete Carroll, the 49ers have had 5 different head coaches, the Cardinals have had 4 different head coaches, and the Rams have had 3 different head coaches (4 if you count interim). Pete has been older than all of them.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Not that the Cards are anywhere near being a threat at this point, but this should bring nothing but smiles to our faces.

The guy finally gets fired at TT (should have been run out sooner honestly)....TT a middling at best football school.....and gets hired for an NFL head coaching gig?????? Is there any precedent for this at all?

What a joke.

He looks like Sean McVay....slicks his hair like McVay.....grows his stubble like McVay......so hey he must be the same right? :lol:

NFL copycat league-itis strikes again. Love it. What a bunch of morons.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The real question that should be asked is, why is Klingsbury getting this kind of attention while Mike Leach, who paved the TTU path for him, doesn’t seem to be getting any attention at all. Without Leach, there is no Coach Klingsbury.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tom Cable and Kilffy K should are evidence that if you look like a coach in the NFL a team will hire you.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sdog1981":6wl21xxk said:
Tom Cable and Kilffy K should are evidence that if you look like a coach in the NFL a team will hire you.

Goldie Hawn.....Gooooooo Wildcats.