Is Earl the "final piece" in the Cowboy defense

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
As much as they are on the way up with a young front 7 and 2 studs at linebacker, they still have a way to go. So now that the season is over, when free agency starts are they going to make that big play for Earl figuring he will solidify their back end? It would probably help with the issue where they were one of the worst teams in the league vs play action.

The one thing that could be an issue is the 5-6 guys they have now that are going to be needing second contracts in the next couple of years. Would they think the next year or two is their window (before everyone needs to be paid) and go all in.
Despite the love for the Cowboys and the :"come get me" stuff, I still can't see Earl giving them a discount to sign with them.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has already said that they will extend Prescott. Now that the season is over, they can start negotiating. Elliott is also likely to get extended this year as well. They probably only have cap space for 1-2 more years before the franchise QB issue eats up the available space.

Could they afford Thomas for 1-2 years? Yes. Would Thomas take that contract? Tough call. He may need a one-year, prove your health, contract, but I think someone out there will give him a massive, long-term contract with roster contingencies bonuses.

Cap Space projections are tough right now because you have to dig into the rosters to figure out who is likely to be cut etc, but I think the Cowboys will have plenty of cap space to sign Thomas for the next year or two.

Someone like KC or Cleveland could probably give him an additional 2 years on that contract.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jones Junior already said they were NOT going to make any big FA signings.
So unless ET (who wants to get PAID) wants to take bottom dollar, it won’t happen IMHO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":d445pfho said:
Jerry Jones has already said that they will extend Prescott. Now that the season is over, they can start negotiating. Elliott is also likely to get extended this year as well. They probably only have cap space for 1-2 more years before the franchise QB issue eats up the available space.

Could they afford Thomas for 1-2 years? Yes. Would Thomas take that contract? Tough call. He may need a one-year, prove your health, contract, but I think someone out there will give him a massive, long-term contract with roster contingencies bonuses.

Cap Space projections are tough right now because you have to dig into the rosters to figure out who is likely to be cut etc, but I think the Cowboys will have plenty of cap space to sign Thomas for the next year or two.

Someone like KC or Cleveland could probably give him an additional 2 years on that contract.
Could see him (ET) going to KC (the rich get richer) or the Browns (an up and coming team that may not be that far away from being real good).

94Smith

Reaction score
I believe the 49ers are going to pursue him. He fits our D system (your system), we were record low in INTs last year and the front office is going to make him a priority a long with a pash rusher. I don't know if they will land him, but my gut says they will make a push.

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Thought of this after reading some of the post mortems on the Colts - team on the rise and close with a lot of cap room..

BubbaGump

Reaction score
He will go to the highest bidder. After his attitude this past season I think you can count both the Hawks and the Cowboys out. I think who ever has the most cash for him gets him. I don’t think either the Hawks or the Boys are willing to do that.