A long-forgotten, NFC West rivalry

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
The Saints versus the Rams, for the right to go to the SB. With our last meeting in the postseason against the Greatest Show on Turf. I could see this game being very high scoring with the two Sean’s as both teams’ head coach.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2tz2gb1a said:
The Saints versus the Rams, for the right to go to the SB. With our last meeting in the postseason against the Greatest Show on Turf. I could see this game being very high scoring with the two Sean’s as both teams’ head coach.

The Wizard of Az was my favorite GSOT member - but the author of one of my more painful football memories. Aaron Brooks was my least favorite NFL player for a long time. That guy turned into a HoF when he played us.

Hoping for a good game with no injuries (okay well technically I hope we blow you guys out but that's obviously not at all likely to occur).

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3hwnbgsl said:
BlackandGolden":3hwnbgsl said:

The Wizard of Az was my favorite GSOT member - but the author of one of my more painful football memories. Aaron Brooks was my least favorite NFL player for a long time. That guy turned into a HoF when he played us.

Hoping for a good game with no injuries (okay well technically I hope we blow you guys out but that's obviously not at all likely to occur).

Oddly enough, we ended up signing Az Hakim. Yeah it’s just strange. We’d perform well against the GSOT in earlier part of the decade, then we’d struggle against the Rams under the Payton/Brees tenure.

I have a brother-in-law that’s a Rams fan, so we’ll likely be headed to the game!

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
GeekHawk":nyz7ejyg said:
Remind me please - which decade/century was that in again?

The Saints were in the NFC West while the Seahawks were still in the AFC, until the divisions re-aligned in 2002 with the creation of the Houston Texans.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":15z2bdj3 said:

Let to victory by Aaron Brooks? IIRC

Mindsink

Reaction score
I always believed the league structure was best when it was 3 divisions per conference - West, Central, East.

chris98251

Reaction score
Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Rams and 49ers if I remember, in that time it was not so different from the Patriots in the AFC East.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":hznmi5sq said:
Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Rams and 49ers if I remember, in that time it was not so different from the Patriots in the AFC East.

The most geographically ridiculous division in NFL history. The 49ers were the only team in the West division that was west of the Rockies, and were the only team more than a mile west of the Mississippi River. One of the big reasons I wanted the Rams back in LA. The current NFC West is a true western division. Even the AFC West has Kansas City east of the Rockies.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":3409nq9b said:
chris98251":3409nq9b said:

The most geographically ridiculous division in NFL history. The 49ers were the only team in the West division that was west of the Rockies, and were the only team more than a mile west of the Mississippi River. One of the big reasons I wanted the Rams back in LA. The current NFC West is a true western division. Even the AFC West has Kansas City east of the Rockies.

Well before the Georgia years they were in L.A. for a time.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":g0pmsdq8 said:
Maulbert":g0pmsdq8 said:
chris98251":g0pmsdq8 said:

I said BACK in LA. I remember quite well before they moved to St. Louis, but that doesn't change the fact that the Rams move coincided with the inaugural season for the Panthers and for 7 years, the NFC West had more teams in each of the Eastern and Central time zones than it did in the Pacific and Mountain combined. Two teams in the NFC East were further west than 4/5 of the NFC West. It was ridiculous.

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1dgeto1m said:
BlackandGolden":1dgeto1m said:

Let to victory by Aaron Brooks? IIRC

Yessir. :2thumbs: The 2nd best passer that ever played for us.

94Smith

Reaction score
Maulbert":1yzn0dzi said:
chris98251":1yzn0dzi said:
Maulbert":1yzn0dzi said:
chris98251":1yzn0dzi said:

I said BACK in LA. I remember quite well before they moved to St. Louis, but that doesn't change the fact that the Rams move coincided with the inaugural season for the Panthers and for 7 years, the NFC West had more teams in each of the Eastern and Central time zones than it did in the Pacific and Mountain combined. Two teams in the NFC East were further west than 4/5 of the NFC West. It was ridiculous.

It was called the NFC West because the 49ers owned it... 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":2cezsx1r said:
Maulbert":2cezsx1r said:
chris98251":2cezsx1r said:
Maulbert":2cezsx1r said:

It was called the NFC West because the 49ers owned it... 8)

Then got found that they had falsley doctored the books about it and got it foreclosed to be claimed by the Seahawks and then made a respectible Division.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
No disrespect to Saints fans on this forum, but I can't really hang over there at Saintsreport.

The funniest part to me is that they think the Rams are giving the Saints bulletin board material when Payton is the one who started all this. Still no clue what's going to happen in this game. I have PTSD from the Saints dropping 45 on us and looking unstoppable - their offense has been much worse than that lately but still have trouble seeing us stopping them.

With how our run game exploded versus Dallas, it's hard to imagine that repeating as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Maybe Peters should shut his pie hole. He has looked horrible for weeks now. Getting burnt like a pile of toast over and over again. Shut up and play ball. Overrated.