ST Coaches

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What makes a Special Teams Coach? For OC and QB coaches, it is usually a QB, what makes a ST coach in makeup. Is it a Defensive minded coach? Is it a WRs coach? What makes them what they are? What is their next step up in the chain of their career? I ask as I have no clue.

olyfan63

Reaction score
They gotta be freakin nuts. Bite off live bird heads during practice and that kind of thing.
And clever and calculating, to the point of being diabolical. "I may be crazy, but I aint stupid!"
Most important though, they have to be able to inspire their troops to follow them into Hell at the risk of loss of life, limb, and consciousness. I understand Audie Murphy is unfortunately out of the running, as he has gone underground. Latest rumor was that Hawks are in contract talks with Captain Jack Sparrow even as we speak.

I think guys who were fringe players during their career are best. Not stars. Guys who had to scrap and battle and scrounge for everything they got.

Like our guy, backup LB who went to another team. They guy who was a fringe LB but damned if he didn't make a game-saving play on a goal line stand, I think vs. the Rams in prime time. Heath Farwell. Let's bring him back to coach ST for the Hawks.

Oh yeah, and it's Linebackers who are the archetype for Special Teams coaches. And I'd toss Strong Safety types in there too, though I only can think of LB guys at the moment. Rusty Tillman was a LB. Receivers??!! Fuggeddaboudit. Their day job is avoiding tackles not making tackles.