Refs impacting the outcome

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I was complaining about the refs quite a bit this year so decided to go back and rewatch all the games this year and found 4 questionable calls that changed the outcome of games. There were a ton of calls earlier in games that I discounted if a single score wouldn't have been enough.

I can't believe that during Goodell's statement on the Saints game he actually talked about having a "home office" ref that could throw flags when it's missed by the on field refs. He goes on to say it would never be accepted by NFL teams, players and fans. I think that is precisely what is needed. With the way it is right now we might as well be watching wrestling.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think it would be worse from a WWE perspective if the home office can call in and throw a flag. Such scrutiny is going to come in on times they do and times they don't. More specifically, times they don't.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The problem with this system is that there could probably be a flag thrown on nearly half of nfl plays. If they went over tape and watched specifically for missed penalties and caught every single hold and every contact over 5 yards etc, the game would suffer immensely.

themunn

Reaction score
kidhawk":39s7eep5 said:
The problem with this system is that there could probably be a flag thrown on nearly half of nfl plays. If they went over tape and watched specifically for missed penalties and caught every single hold and every contact over 5 yards etc, the game would suffer immensely.

Agreed, but the penalties that are the real difference makers are those that come with an automatic first down - either wrongly called or wrongly non-called.
Those are the game changers.
An illegal shift, false start, holding etc, those can be killers - but they usually come with a yardage penalty and repeat of the down, so don't always kill you. But a pass interference call can change everything.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
themunn":36hqi251 said:
kidhawk":36hqi251 said:

Agreed, but the penalties that are the real difference makers are those that come with an automatic first down - either wrongly called or wrongly non-called.
Those are the game changers.
An illegal shift, false start, holding etc, those can be killers - but they usually come with a yardage penalty and repeat of the down, so don't always kill you. But a pass interference call can change everything.

But but 40 yds is 40 yds of penalties. Team A 2 holding offense and 2 false starts and 2 defensive contact for 5 yds apiece (for a first down). Team B 2 holding 4 false starts. No difference right????

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't necessarily think the NFL is scripted. This would take too many people involved to keep a secret. I do however think if you walk into a room and it stinks to high heaven,,,,,just because you don't know what that smell is, it still stinks.

[youtube]SPxrUBCX3nI[/youtube]

Click on watch on youtube.

knownone

Reaction score
The NFL isn’t exactly hiding how they influence the outcome of games. They literally send game film to referees telling them which teams are getting away with penalties and what needs to be emphasized during individual games. That’s not even conspiratorial that is a fact.

From a purely analytic perspective, rigging the outcome of a game is pretty hard to do without anyone noticing. However, it’s not that hard to tilt the deck in one teams favor. This is a big concern of mine, I don’t think it would be that difficult to influence which teams make or miss the playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
knownone":2z2o7dqf said:
The NFL isn’t exactly hiding how they influence the outcome of games. They literally send game film to referees telling them which teams are getting away with penalties and what needs to be emphasized during individual games. That’s not even conspiratorial that is a fact.

From a purely analytic perspective, rigging the outcome of a game is pretty hard to do without anyone noticing. However, it’s not that hard to tilt the deck in one teams favor. This is a big concern of mine, I don’t think it would be that difficult to influence which teams make or miss the playoffs.
You described “steering” and yes it’s very common in the NFL, whether some want to admit it or not.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, we are about to watch a Super Bowl on Sunday that was DIRECTLY impacted in the NFC by the Refs. Refs who CHOSE to ignore what was beyond obvious right in front of their faces.