One Play in the Red Zone

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
1st and Goal from the 2 with 7 minutes left in the game.

That was the only time either team played in the Red Zone. That is why this will be looked at as the worst Super Bowl. Call it competitive because of the score but you can't call it gripping, or a great defensive struggle. This game was more in line with two 2-13 teams playing the last game of the season with the winner taking the first pick in the draft. Every game has it's share of big plays but when it's supposed to include the two best teams there should have been a bit more suspense.

Oh well, on to March Madness.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Surprised this isn’t getting more run in here. If the Hawks didn’t run a single red zone play the whole world would be claiming how terrible our coaches/QB/FO are. Both teams were terrible on 3rd downs, with the Rams punting on their first 8 possessions. And now the Rams QB coach gets the head coaching job in Cincinnati...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It was a great, defensive chess match. Classic Pete Carrol type of game. That is not the type of game that McVay wanted to find himself in, against the chess master.

I was waxing skis and missed the first quarter, but then I saw the stats and came in to watch the rest of the game. I actually enjoyed the chess match of two defenses putting the screws to the other team. Yes, the offenses were both a bit tentative, which is why I don’t buy into the hype that the Pats were an all-time great defense, but the defenses did control the outcome of the game. Loved that part. The amount of pressure, on both quarterbacks, was beautiful, despite both of these offensive lines being top-notch. Brady did just enough to win it, and Goff performed exactly like I thought he would. Before kickoff, I said that if it’s in Goff’s hand to win it, in the waning moments, he will crumble and throw a pick.

I enjoyed it way more than the recent run of, whoever gets the ball last wins games

Mindsink

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1b4eqolu said:
It was a great, defensive chess match. Classic Pete Carrol type of game. That is not the type of game that McVay wanted to find himself in, against the chess master.

I was waxing skis and missed the first quarter, but then I saw the stats and came in to watch the rest of the game. I actually enjoyed the chess match of two defenses putting the screws to the other team. Yes, the offenses were both a bit tentative, which is why I don’t buy into the hype that the Pats were an all-time great defense, but the defenses did control the outcome of the game. Loved that part. The amount of pressure, on both quarterbacks, was beautiful, despite both of these offensive lines being top-notch. Brady did just enough to win it, and Goff performed exactly like I thought he would. Before kickoff, I said that if it’s in Goff’s hand to win it, in the waning moments, he will crumble and throw a pick.

I enjoyed it way more than the recent run of, whoever gets the ball last wins games

This guy ^ gets it. Agreed 100%

OP
OP
M

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2a99e81a said:

I disagree.
The Rams were reduced to a one dimensional offense by their own cause. Kupp was out and Gurley played very little. That left it squarely on the shoulders of Goff. And you & I both know Goff can't carry that team in a big game, or any game for that matter. That left it wide open for ole Billy boy to play his regular schemes. He didn't have to worry about a RB catching a pass out of the backfield with C.J. Anderson. That was the Rams' bread and butter that set up Kupp for the long shots. I may even go as far as saying the Rams did a much better job defensively than the Patriots because the Patriots were full strength on offense.

Good defensive game? Yes. Great? Nope.

I did enjoy the fact that it was low scoring. The problem now is that more than half of the general NFL fan base is calling it a boring game and that just means the NFL will continue it's path to higher scoring games.

mrt144

Reaction score
bigskydoc":l05zmsuk said:

Seriously, not what I expected but I did enjoy it - to see a greenhorn constantly get knocked down by the stud steer over and over - it was a different kind of masterpiece by BB

bigskydoc

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":1f1jxr1m said:
That left it wide open for ole Billy boy to play his regular schemes.

You would probably have to have watched the Patriots during the regular season to understand how wrong that statement is.

Belichick/ Flores changed up everything about their defense for this one game. They came out in zone after playing almost exclusively in man-to-man in every other game this season.

The Pats dissected one of the top offensive lines, and were in the backfield on almost every passing down, by bringing novel pressures, without blitzing. (4 blitzes for the game). They set this up all season long by using specific players to bring pressure with certain looks. Then, in the final game, they changed it up. Whitworth said, "Guys who had been rushers all year, different guys were rushing.”

They stacked the line to stuff the run, but disguised who would bring pressure, and who would drop back, on play action and passing. The combinations they used, were new, specifically for this game.

The use of Jones, in a completely novel role of, flummoxed Goff and his line. Goff said, "They were able to keep us guessing."

MD5eahawks":1f1jxr1m said:
The Rams were reduced to a one dimensional offense by their own cause. Kupp was out and Gurley played very little. That left it squarely on the shoulders of Goff. And you & I both know Goff can't carry that team in a big game, or any game for that matter.

He didn't have to worry about a RB catching a pass out of the backfield with C.J. Anderson. That was the Rams' bread and butter that set up Kupp for the long shots.

The loss of Kupp was huge, and the stats are there to back that up. The connection between Kupp and Goff has that intangible feeling, like Edelman and Brady. Goff definitely missed that security blanket.

That doesn't mean they were one dimensional. Anderson is a remarkable running back, and there is no reason they couldn't use him to catch a pass out of the backfield. Maybe that is a wrinkle McVay should have used, except I think the Pats were prepared for that the way they used their LBs in this game. In his time with Denver, Anderson was a 66-79% receiver. Nowhere near as good as Gurley's 72-81%, but fairly close when you consider how many of Gurley's passes have him as the primary receiver, instead of a dump off/ outlet for a busted play.

We agree that the Rams put on a nice defensive display. Of course, it was against a very conservative, Pete Carroll type, offensive game plan. The Pats came out to protect the ball, control the clock, and play the field position game. They didn't want to get into a high scoring affair against a McVay led team. So the Rams' defense looked better than it really was. That's not to say it wasn't a phenomenal defensive performance, I just thought the defensive game plan of the Patriots was masterful. Phillips got outcoached, and McVay got taken out behind the woodshed.

And of course we agree that there is no way that Goff was going to take over this kind of game. Now if we were in a "gassed defense, last possession wins it, high scoring affair" with Goff in a groove, then yes he could have carried his team to a win. Not this kind of game though. The Pats defense got in his head, and if he had to throw to win, the outcome was inevitable.

mrt144

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2hjdrbup said:
MD5eahawks":2hjdrbup said:
That left it wide open for ole Billy boy to play his regular schemes.

You would probably have to have watched the Patriots during the regular season to understand how wrong that statement is.

Belichick/ Flores changed up everything about their defense for this one game. They came out in zone after playing almost exclusively in man-to-man in every other game this season.

The Pats dissected one of the top offensive lines, and were in the backfield on almost every passing down, by bringing novel pressures, without blitzing. (4 blitzes for the game). They set this up all season long by using specific players to bring pressure with certain looks. Then, in the final game, they changed it up. Whitworth said, "Guys who had been rushers all year, different guys were rushing.”

They stacked the line to stuff the run, but disguised who would bring pressure, and who would drop back, on play action and passing. The combinations they used, were new, specifically for this game.

The use of Jones, in a completely novel role of, flummoxed Goff and his line. Goff said, "They were able to keep us guessing."

MD5eahawks":2hjdrbup said:
The Rams were reduced to a one dimensional offense by their own cause. Kupp was out and Gurley played very little. That left it squarely on the shoulders of Goff. And you & I both know Goff can't carry that team in a big game, or any game for that matter.

He didn't have to worry about a RB catching a pass out of the backfield with C.J. Anderson. That was the Rams' bread and butter that set up Kupp for the long shots.

The loss of Kupp was huge, and the stats are there to back that up. The connection between Kupp and Goff has that intangible feeling, like Edelman and Brady. Goff definitely missed that security blanket.

That doesn't mean they were one dimensional. Anderson is a remarkable running back, and there is no reason they couldn't use him to catch a pass out of the backfield. Maybe that is a wrinkle McVay should have used, except I think the Pats were prepared for that the way they used their LBs in this game. In his time with Denver, Anderson was a 66-79% receiver. Nowhere near as good as Gurley's 72-81%, but fairly close when you consider how many of Gurley's passes have him as the primary receiver, instead of a dump off/ outlet for a busted play.

We agree that the Rams put on a nice defensive display. Of course, it was against a very conservative, Pete Carroll type, offensive game plan. The Pats came out to protect the ball, control the clock, and play the field position game. They didn't want to get into a high scoring affair against a McVay led team. So the Rams' defense looked better than it really was. That's not to say it wasn't a phenomenal defensive performance, I just thought the defensive game plan of the Patriots was masterful. Phillips got outcoached, and McVay got taken out behind the woodshed.

And of course we agree that there is no way that Goff was going to take over this kind of game. Now if we were in a "gassed defense, last possession wins it, high scoring affair" with Goff in a groove, then yes he could have carried his team to a win. Not this kind of game though. The Pats defense got in his head, and if he had to throw to win, the outcome was inevitable.

Love this summary and it jibes with many of my impressions as well. The thing that you have to hand to BB is the confidence to flip the script on how the team operates at a tactical level, playing against tendencies and tape but doing so in such an effective way. Maybe only if you're one of the best if not the best coaches in the game you can pull off such a ploy effectively most of the time but not all of it.

Also the brittleness of McVay being in Goff's ear was lade bare - it works well enough when you aren't facing a peerless coach but there was nothing in the reserves to fall on when Goff was stupefied, harassed, hurried and off balance. Maybe a better QB like Mahomes wouldn't have been as ineffective as Goff (at that salary). Maybe a more veteran QB would find a way.

No matter how you slice it though, I'm ready for the 2019 season to start.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's simple..Defense wins championships.
Sure it's not going to be the case after the NFL rigs the rules even more
to favor offense as they have been doing for quite awhile now..

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Remember when people freaked out about the 100 plus points in the Rams/KC game? Defense STILL trumps a good offense. We have seen it time and time again. Rams were overhyped and got dominated when it counted. Titles are not won on paper.