Kaepernick and Reid end their lawsuit against the NFL

sdog1981

Reaction score
This case was shaky from the start. Once they got all the scouting reports and internal emails the case was on thin ice.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/15/ ... settlement

I wonder if the AAF news had anything to do with the settlement.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
The NFL being willing to settle says more about their position being "on thin ice" than Kaep and Reid's IMO.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2748jt2n said:
The NFL being willing to settle says more about their position being "on thin ice" than Kaep and Reid's IMO.

The news on all of this is just starting to come out. It would have been interesting to see the email traffic that was exchanged on the NFL side.

mrt144

Reaction score
I said it in the other thread - Kaep has navigated his time out of the league better than some of those within. It's worth how much to the NFL to not deal with Kaep again? About what he would have made each year if employed?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Little more than a tacit admission that there was collusion against Kaep, or something even more nefarious that could have been potentially unearthed in an investigation.

Kaep reportedly being paid somewhere in the ballpark of $40MM-80MM shows it was an absolute slam dunk of a case.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
mrt144":300djbv2 said:
I said it in the other thread - Kaep has navigated his time out of the league better than some of those within. It's worth how much to the NFL to not deal with Kaep again? About what he would have made each year if employed?

If this settlement happened last year when league viewership was reportedly down, the protests were still front and center, I would find it plausible that the NFL just wanted the issue to go away and that's that.

Doing this after such a successful year for the NFL, when no one is even talking about Kaep and the protests, shows that it's not just something to get it out of the news.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
I really just wanted to read Paul Allen/JS/PC email chain regarding Keap.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kaep wanted 20 million from the AAF, that's what he may have got without the protest issue based on other QB's and was his worth. Being that figure was recent you know the settlement for him and Reid was higher because it also was based on possible damages for future earnings. The fact that they have also put a gag on everyone as part of the settlement indicates there was a lot of bad in the communications from the owners and NFL that would tarnish many individuals and the shield regarding this.

We will never know the depth of all this unless somehow something is leaked, I don't think we see Kaep in a Uniform for the NFL again only due to someone would have to back track on what was already done. Unlike Reid who was hired Kaep is way to visible and has a much higher platform to possibly use as a position to create more damage to the NFL.

rlkats

Reaction score
All politics aside, all I see is he was paid more not playing football than he EVER could as a horrible one read QB. I am glad it’s finally done. I just wonder how much of the settlement, the nike and the 43 million bucks he has made from the Niners will go to the persecuted people of the US?

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
rlkats":3heuox9x said:
All politics aside, all I see is he was paid more not playing football than he EVER could as a horrible one read QB. I am glad it’s finally done. I just wonder how much of the settlement, the nike and the 43 million bucks he has made from the Niners will go to the persecuted people of the US?

Not really he was getting 17 million with the 49ers you would have to assume he would get around that level of money for the next 10 years. 80 million settlement split with lawyers Reid vs 170 million from playing. Both sides did not get what they wanted out of this.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
rlkats":3nsepr7d said:
All politics aside, all I see is he was paid more not playing football than he EVER could as a horrible one read QB.
Don't you mean horrible one read QB with:
NFL records for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single game (181 yards), most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single postseason (264 yards) that also led his team to their first Super Bowl appearance  in almost 2 decades?

This guy sounds a bit like Cam Newton from 5 years ago.
What did Cam get paid this year?

rlkats

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2kdfq6hk said:
rlkats":2kdfq6hk said:
All politics aside, all I see is he was paid more not playing football than he EVER could as a horrible one read QB.
NFL records for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single game (181 yards), most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single postseason (264 yards) that also led his team to their first Super Bowl appearance  in almost 2 decades?

Yes his major awards was running. Take that away and there you have a one read qb. You need an example? How about EVERY game against the hawks. How about the super bowl. His arm and shitty placement lost the game. Bottom line his running made him famous, his one reads were a joke. Every hawk fan and most Niners (honest) would say the same.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
rlkats":w04lmp2m said:
Palmegranite":w04lmp2m said:
rlkats":w04lmp2m said:

Yes his major awards was running. Take that away and there you have a one read qb. You need an example? How about EVERY game against the hawks. How about the super bowl. His arm and shitty placement lost the game. Bottom line his running made him famous, his one reads were a joke. Every hawk fan and most Niners (honest) would say the same.
I hate to bring this up again, but no, this is wrong. He was NOT a "one read" QB. That wasn't his weakness. It never has been. What follows could be noticed if you watched him carefully, but there is no need because a former 49ers coach who worked with him spilled the beans: reading defenses wasn't his weakness; anticipatory throwing was (along with his elongated release, which exacerbated that weakness).

What appeared to be "one read" and run was really (usually) a presnap decision to run based on what appeared to be man coverage. It was a pretty successful strategy, considering his crucial runs through his short career.

Where he began to struggle was after the Cardinals game in 2015, when his long release and inability to throw with anticipation resulted in four INTs and two pick sixes. After that game he was even less trustworthy of his eyes (again, anticipatory throwing was his weakness... an inability to trust what he sees developing before it fully develops). You can see this very, very clearly in the Green Bay Packers game that followed shortly after: on one pass, he quickly made the correct read, to Anquan Boldin, but then hesitated. He hesitated because he was still gunshy, and was unwilling to let it rip with anticipation. He then double clutched, then threw very late, and one hopped it because the defense had finally started to close the hole around Boldin.

So, to summarize: reading defense wasn't Kaepernick's problem. Anticipation was. He had to see it before he threw it. That weakness was exacerbated by a long throwing motion, and it got much worse after a terrible game against the Cardinals where that weakness was fully exploited.

He did not return to functionality until the 2016 season, but at this point he still wasn't really throwing with anticipation, but was instead being extra cautious, taking more sacks and throwing the ball away more.

EDIT- to elaborate: what looks like Kaepernick freezing after his first read is covered is not that at all. What is really happening is he is making the right read but then hesitating to throw the ball because he has a need to see it open before he throws it (as opposed to throwing the WR open, or releasing the ball prior to the WR makes his break). He generally made the right read during his career, but failed to release the ball with the necessary timing of a successful NFL QB due to his hesitancy to throw with anticipation, along with his long release, which made him doubly gunshy. This was always a mental block, but it wasn't what you all think it was.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The money was well spent. Just move on from this already. The sooner he is forgotten about the better.

rlkats

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2xwhjz1f said:
The money was well spent. Just move on from this already. The sooner he is forgotten about the better.

Agreed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
51977415_2372073506172657_3900375778499493888_o.jpg

mrblitz

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":235lfmdj said:
EDIT- to elaborate: what looks like Kaepernick freezing after his first read is covered is not that at all. What is really happening is he is making the right read but then hesitating to throw the ball because he has a need to see it open before he throws it (as opposed to throwing the WR open, or releasing the ball prior to the WR makes his break). He generally made the right read during his career, but failed to release the ball with the necessary timing of a successful NFL QB due to his hesitancy to throw with anticipation, along with his long release, which made him doubly gunshy. This was always a mental block, but it wasn't what you all think it was.

this is why i had hoped that kaep could be on the seahawks with wilson, and work with russell day in and day out, and that it would result in kaep moving to the next level, and then we would have had 2 great qbs, instead of one... on some level, i believed in kaep as a football player... ymmv