Earl Wants To Be Highest Paid Safety in NFL

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We all have goals and dreams.

This just shows that Earl is still delusional about what his value was and still is after suffering two serious leg injuries. He'll still get paid, I'm sure someone will take a risk and give him a decent 2-3 contract.........but 40M+ guaranteed Eric Berry-esque highest paid safety in the game?

Nope.

massari

Reaction score
If they can re-sign Clark, the Seahawks would likely franchise Thomas and trade him for a 3rd or early 4th, no?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2kxb60b5 said:
If they can re-sign Clark, the Seahawks would likely franchise Thomas and trade him for a 3rd or early 4th, no?

No way we'd risk committing 12-13M guaranteed to deal with the same drama of Earl last off season, only to get a late round pick.

No team was willing to give up a 1st or 2nd up until he got hurt, so highly doubtful someone's giving up a 3rd or 4th on a one year franchise tag with Earl now coming off two major leg injuries AND now knowing that Earl's going to be a pain in the ass and want the moon for his contract extension.

He's gone. Time to move on.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think he'll get it. He's a workout warrior, and I expect him to come back strong and play for several more years at a high level.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sucks that he got hurt when he did, sounds like KC was getting everything lined up to trade for him at that time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's too bad the team was unable to unload him last offseason/season prior to his repeat injury.

Earl will be unlikely to be paid what he wants.

He will still blame the Seahawks for preventing him from being the top paid FS in the NFL, and will be unhappy in his new team location. His poor children will starve subsisting on the mere $12 mil./yr. or so some team will pay him. Poor Earl it's such a sad situation.

He is clearly demonstrating he still doesn't get that the league has backed away from the Eric Berry $ level contract and he's living in past sense in terms of his value with a repeat broken leg.

I thought he was great and was perhaps one of the best ever at his position but the NFL has a salary cap and there is a new reality being lived with the size of S contracts.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I loved me some ETIII.

Loved is key(past tense), I’ve moved on.

I’m sad over the entire situation.
I absolutely hate how his legacy will look now.

Could have been one of the greatest ever, right there in the same conversation as Jones, Tez and Easley.

:{(

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vecpz5j said:
No way we'd risk committing 12-13M guaranteed to deal with the same drama of Earl last off season, only to get a late round pick.

No team was willing to give up a 1st or 2nd up until he got hurt, so highly doubtful someone's giving up a 3rd or 4th on a one year franchise tag with Earl now coming off two major leg injuries AND now knowing that Earl's going to be a pain in the ass and want the moon for his contract extension.

There wouldn't be any risk since they'd work out a deal before they actually place the tag on him. Can't imagine there not being at least a few teams willing to give up that amount for one season or more from ET in a contract year. The team trading for him won't lose a comp pick next season like they would by signing a free agent Safety.

Thomas is ranked as one of the top free agents available by every analyst/website/blogger I've seen.

Apparently the Cowboys were willing to give up a 2nd, so don't know where you got your info from
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1037366276161724417[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm right there with pmedic. He's one of my all time favorite Hawks. But the way he has acted, I've also had to long since move on. Really sad it ended this way.

warden

Reaction score
Earl’s better days as a player have passed

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":3idip6sj said:
Sgt. Largent":3idip6sj said:

There wouldn't be any risk since they'd work out a deal before they actually place the tag on him. Can't imagine there not being at least a few teams willing to give up that amount for one season or more from ET in a contract year. The team trading for him won't lose a comp pick next season like they would by signing a free agent Safety.

Thomas is ranked as one of the top free agents available by every analyst/website/blogger I've seen.

If they don't need the FT for Clark, an extra 3rd, especially this draft, would be pretty useful.

It's not happening dude.

You franchise Earl, and all hell breaks loose, except it's even worse than last year with the drama, dollars committed and his diminished value. No team's giving you a 3rd or even 4th for a franchise tagged Earl Thomas.

We had our chance to trade Earl, he got hurt. The End. Move on.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g6msmtd said:
massari":2g6msmtd said:
Sgt. Largent":2g6msmtd said:

If they don't need the FT for Clark, an extra 3rd, especially this draft, would be pretty useful.

It's not happening dude.

You franchise Earl, and all hell breaks loose, except it's even worse than last year with the drama, dollars committed and his diminished value. No team's giving you a 3rd or even 4th for a franchise tagged Earl Thomas.

We had our chance to trade Earl, he got hurt. The End. Move on.
You don't franchise a player in the hopes of getting a 2d/3d day pick for him in trade. :34853_doh:

mrblitz

Reaction score
'next man up'... for better or for worse, that's the nfl...

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ET's whole contract dispute, holding out, playing lights out and then getting hurt is fascinating to me because both parties were correct to stick to their guns.

Hawks didn't want to give a fat new contract to ET because of his age and potential injury. ET wanted a fat new contract because he believed he's the best or one of the best in the league and doesn't want to risk injury by playing for less than he feels he's worth or without security in regards to future earnings. Both ended up being proven correct IMO.

It's time to move on from Earl. As much as I'd love to have him back and everything relating to his salary and health not be an issue, it's just not in the cards. If he still thinks he should be the top paid safety in the league he's either going to A) have a wake up call or B) take advantage of some team that's willing to throw top money at an aging, risky vet.

massari

Reaction score
sutz":16b9329u said:
You don't franchise a player in the hopes of getting a 2d/3d day pick for him in trade. :34853_doh:
1hfmx7

Jarvis Landry was traded last year for a 4th and a 7th

Mod edit reason:TDS

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
^^ I think you could probably make an argument that, if the team were to attempt to optimize every bit of value they could get for/from a player, tagging them and trading them for even a mid round pick isn't a terrible option vs. letting them walk and at most getting a conditional pick for them. I don't know if there's special restrictions that would pertain to this situation in regards to the salary of a tagged player, but if a team had the ability to carry the franchise tag salary and then trade them away I'd assume the team receiving him would then pay the salary the rest of the season.