Max Unger retiring

pmedic920

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... 10-seasons
7519215146ef2aec3f767e4c54a4676d.jpg

IndyHawk

Reaction score
One of worst trades we ever made..
I really liked this guy,he should be retiring as a Hawk..

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Trade Britt, acquire a 2nd while offloading a 2020 big cap hit, and then have a hard competition for Pocic and Hunt to get the starter's job @ C. Alternatively trade Pocic or Hunt for a 4th or other consideration.

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":38f1ahu2 said:
Trade Pocic?

No if anything they would trade Britt and keep Pocic and Hunt.

Unless they give up Marcus Williams, Malcom Brown.

Jville

Reaction score
In his last year / year and a half, Max was very vocal about his concerns regarding concussions and their threat to the quality of life after retiring from the game. I thought (incorrectly) that he would retire sooner. The Saints were fortunate to realize 4 good years of play from Max. I remained a fan of his play and now welcome and applaud his decision to retire from the game.

With regards to the trade, I've always reluctantly assumed that concerns about concussions and possible early retirement contributed meaningfully to the decision to trade Max to the Saints.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1r2wdwag said:
Pocic for Alvin Kamara straight up. :2thumbs:

Dreamer, :D they'd never do that deal.

Here's why the team should think about trading Britt, his cap number will be greater than $11 million for next season and a post June 1 trade could net the team $5 million in cap savings this season. Keeping Britt for next year and after 2020 appears unlikely due to his cost.

Besides Hunt played creditably well subbing for Britt and i suspect Pocic's natural position is OC.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
jammerhawk":35g5nsz1 said:
Trade Britt, acquire a 2nd whileoffloadinga big cap hit, and then have a hard competition for Pocic and Hunt to get the starter's job @ C. Alternatively trade Pocic or Hunt for a 4th or other consideration.

You think someone would give us a 2nd for Britt or a 4th for Pocic? LOL

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
jammerhawk":26tb9ahs said:
KitsapGuy":26tb9ahs said:
Pocic for Alvin Kamara straight up. :2thumbs:

Dreamer, :D they'd never do that deal.

Here's why the team should think about trading Britt, his cap number will be greater than $11 million for next season and a post June 1 trade could net the team $5 million in cap savings this season. Keeping Britt for next year and after 2020 appears unlikely due to his cost.

Besides Hunt played creditably well subbing for Britt and i suspect Pocic's natural position is OC.

I agree with this Britt is probably not going to be resigned and he's about a replacement-level center. He had the Pro Bowl alternate year a few years ago but hasn't really stood out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1nvdsmo2 said:
jammerhawk":1nvdsmo2 said:
Trade Britt, acquire a 2nd while offloading a big cap hit, and then have a hard competition for Pocic and Hunt to get the starter's job @ C. Alternatively trade Pocic or Hunt for a 4th or other consideration.

You think someone would give us a 2nd for Britt or a 4th for Pocic? LOL

I suspect Britt is worth more than you credit him as being. In the end what is the value of a one time Pro Bowl OC who is experienced and healthy? It also depends upon how badly NO wants an experienced proven commodity at OC to protect Brees. Who knows but seems to me to be an astute potential trade. The consideration is really all you are expressing question about.

Pocic was high draft pick, 2nd rd., and a highly ranked college OC who has been played outside of his natural position of OC at OG or occasionally RT, so far he's done diddly but has 2 years of rookie contract eligibility left. To me he's valuable as a commodity for a team needing a potentially good OC with good size. a late 4th for him is not inconceivable. the draft isn't deep with C talent this season either, and he could be better than anything the Saints can get this draft considering they have no 1st rd. pick this draft.

poly1274

Reaction score
I’m sorry I disagree Unger wasn’t special enough to change anything. In the last sB against patriots I put some blame on lynch on 1st and 4. With effort he coulda get TD.

Graham and RW was unstoppable In the
End Zone. Opposing teams had hard time to stop them.

With the current OL we have and if graham was still a seahawk, it would been sick

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Unger has been the consummate professional. I wish he was here with the Hawks his whole career. I’m glad I got to see him manage the offensive line for the Hawks and won a Super Bowl. Many thanks Max and enjoy retirement from football.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I was so upset by this trade.

I had to be talked off the ledge, figuratively speaking.

I thought it was the beginning of the end of our dominant, physical, reputation as one of the toughest teams in football.

It was.

Never understood the Jimmy Graham thing. A guy that was the poster boy for the kind of players OUR OWN GUYS used to intimidate. He was actually not as big a problem as the inability of our OC to use him but he was such a poor fit, it made no sense.

I will always believe that losing Unger was the primary reason Lynch left. He saw us gutting our line and said to H with that.

The Unger trade and the Harvin trade were literally the 2 worst trades in our history because they ripped apart a potential dynasty, turning us into a glorified Wild Card team.

Damnit. What could have been if we had only kept Tate, Unger, Lynch and pretty much stuck with almost the same team but for the draft picks we never would have lost?