Gronk Retires

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski has retired. Announced it on Instagram.

Leaves the sport on a high note. A wise decision, as another year might have caused him irreparable harm.

DJrmb

Reaction score
We'll see. Jason Witten is coming back after a year out... I'll believe it only after he's gone from the game for a few years.

Here's the question though. Does he get into the HoF? He certainly had the talent of a HoF caliber player, but his numbers are well below some of his peers if he indeed retires this early. At this point Gates, Witten, Graham, and Greg Olsen are all well ahead of him in yards and only Olsen has less TDs. Not as slam dunk of a HoF resume as some may have thought?

Osprey

Reaction score
kobebryant":7asx5zeg said:
Yes, first ballot. He's the best TE ever.
I can only hope you’re too young to recognize:
Mackey
Ditka
Winslow
Newsome

Even his contemporaries Gates & Gonzolaz are arguably better, though I’d give him the edge on Gates.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Certainly one of the best pass catching TE's ever.
The best TE ever?I dunno about that as rule changes
made everything a lot easier on offense.
Besides that he was injury prone big time..I do give
him props for trying to overcome all those injuries
as he probaly should have quit before half of those.
I think NE is done now..We will see as I thought all
that before..
Gronk is a sure fire HOF- just wish he had played
for a different team lol.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
His postseason accomplishments will get him in the HOF.
16 games
81 rec
12 TDs
1163 yards
Big numbers

Of course, one has to take into consideration the fact that he had opportunity for those accomplishments. I think postseason stats can be overrated due to having to be on a “good” team to get that opportunity but those are in games against the “good” teams.

Maulbert

Reaction score
kobebryant":1tx2pvd9 said:
Yes, first ballot. He's the best TE ever.

He was good, yes, but he missed 29 games over his last 7 seasons. The guy couldn't stay healthy. The actual greatest TE ever, Tony Gonzalez, missed 2 games in 17 seasons, and had much worse QBs, teams, and coaches than Gronk ever had.

chris98251

Reaction score
His excellence was in the refs looking the other way when he pushed off to make a lot of his catches.

There were many TE's better then him that played in much tougher circumstances, plus he was injured all the time so his durability may count against him.

Note to a lot of people here, there was football before this millennium.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
One of the most physically dominant players when he could play, and a fantastic career that was marred by serious injury after serious injury. His post season stats alone will get him into the HOF.

IIRC he's had a broken arm, broken back, torn ACL/MCL, lung bruise (caused by Earl Thomas), herniated discs and I'm sure plenty of concussions. That is one heck of a list of serious injuries at only 29 years old.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Incredible player, I doubt it's even debatable if he gets in.
I agree with Largent, he'll be back. 2nd half of the season, Pats will get him to come back to help them get that 7th ring.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":36kdn2d4 said:
His excellence was in the refs looking the other way when he pushed off to make a lot of his catches.

There were many TE's better then him that played in much tougher circumstances, plus he was injured all the time so his durability may count against him.

Yes, I know there were great tight ends before this century. Newsome, Winslow, Ditka, Christiansen, and Sharpe all come to mind. However, there is no denying that Gonzalez redefined the position. He was the first big basketball player to come in and be primarily a pass catcher instead of a blocker. He finished his career as the 2nd all-time leading pass catcher. Not for tight ends, but for the ENTIRE league. Only Jerry Rice ever caught more passes (though Fitzgerald will pass him in 2019 barring injury). Think about that. He has more catches than Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, or Isaac Bruce, and not by a little. He has 224 more catches than Marvin Harrison, who was #2 when he retired.

Yes, football was around for 70+ years before Tony Gonzalez suited up, but he is the greatest TE of all time. Period.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Gonzalez was unreal. Gronk is ONE OF the best of all time, period. Not the best, and that's ok. And there's no way in hell he doesn't make the HOF, and early in his eligibility.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":3pcpawen said:
chris98251":3pcpawen said:

Yes, I know there were great tight ends before this century. Newsome, Winslow, Ditka, Christiansen, and Sharpe all come to mind. However, there is no denying that Gonzalez redefined the position. He was the first big basketball player to come in and be primarily a pass catcher instead of a blocker. He finished his career as the 2nd all-time leading pass catcher. Not for tight ends, but for the ENTIRE league. Only Jerry Rice ever caught more passes (though Fitzgerald will pass him in 2019 barring injury). Think about that. He has more catches than Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, or Isaac Bruce, and not by a little. He has 224 more catches than Marvin Harrison, who was #2 when he retired.

Yes, football was around for 70+ years before Tony Gonzalez suited up, but he is the greatest TE of all time. Period.

Tony also blocked well and was a complete TE. but were not talking about Tony, were talking about Mr. Push off injury prone guy here.

Who many are saying was the greatest ever for some reason. Put Gronk and Newsome in a room together and best man walks out and it's Newsome every time, for that matter most the guys you listed would.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1lvfix1x said:
Maulbert":1lvfix1x said:
chris98251":1lvfix1x said:

Tony also blocked well and was a complete TE. but were not talking about Tony, were talking about Mr. Push off injury prone guy here.

Who many are saying was the greatest ever for some reason. Put Gronk and Newsome in a room together and best man walks out and it's Newsome every time, for that matter most the guys you listed would.

You said a lot of people here. Gonzalez played mostly this century. I was just doubling down in case you were including me.

Yes, Gronk had a couple great seasons, but overall, I think he's overrated.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":3kdr8a0n said:
chris98251":3kdr8a0n said:
Maulbert":3kdr8a0n said:
chris98251":3kdr8a0n said:

You said a lot of people here. Gonzalez played mostly this century. I was just doubling down in case you were including me.

Yes I said a lot of people, Gronk played in a Era of powder puff don't make contact with the receiver and still had issues with staying healthy, why in comparison I don't rate him near the others. Sure he did well for the Patriots, but as a league wide TE I don't rate him as high.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1oorwz89 said:
Maulbert":1oorwz89 said:
chris98251":1oorwz89 said:
Maulbert":1oorwz89 said:

Yes I said a lot of people, Gronk played in a Era of powder puff don't make contact with the receiver and still had issues with staying healthy, why in comparison I don't rate him near the others. Sure he did well for the Patriots, but as a league wide TE I don't rate him as high.

I remember when we played the Cheatriots in Foxborough in 2016, and the Pats threw an incomplete pass to Gronk on 4th down to end the game. Kam was covering him, and Gronk grabbed him and shoved him to the ground. Kam grabbed him to try to stay up, but he ended up pulling Gronk down with him. They didn't throw a flag because Gronk clearly initiated the contact, and Brady got bitchy with the refs. Had to read that shit for a week about how Gronk was held. Such bullshit.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
chris98251":m1crmnnt said:

Gronk was interfered with far more than he ever pushed off. Defenses have been getting away with mugging him for years. I actually find it kind of unbelievable that you actually think the opposite is true.

Case in point.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PP_Rich_Hill ... 7268402176

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ll-2013-11