Rule Change Proposal: Onside Kick Alternative

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Came across this proposed rule change to allow an alternative to the onside kick. It is one of the more out-of-the-box ideas to come out of proposed rule changes in recent memory. It also looks like it has more than a decent chance to pass. Basically a team can opt to go for a 4th and 15 situation from their own 35 instead of kicking off.

I am intrigued by the idea but curious as to what other opinions are.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mara-only-no-vote-for-onside-kick-alternative

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not conversant on the actual odds of the success rates on that, but the new rules have basically eliminated the onside kick, which stifles the chances of the miracle comebacks that increase excitement at the end of games. It's basically impossible now.

I'd like to see it in some pre-season games, maybe, although the pressure is not on then.

Osprey

Reaction score
sutz":3ddtxyvh said:
I'm not conversant on the actual odds of the success rates on that, but the new rules have basically eliminated the onside kick, which stifles the chances of the miracle comebacks that increase excitement at the end of games. It's basically impossible now.

I'd like to see it in some pre-season games, maybe, although the pressure is not on then.
Curious too, seems like the odds would be way better than the old onside scenario. Also seems like a prime candidate for shaping via PI.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Personally, I'd prefer that they adjust the rule so if a team declares an onside kick is coming which is usually more than obvious in end of game scenarios anywat, they would go back to the old rules for lining up. The way they line up now is designed to prevent the big hits on kickoffs, but it pretty much eliminates any realistic chance to actually design an onside kick to be recovered without a real fluke of luck.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They need to figure something out because it is impossible to get it now. Maybe 20 yards on one play instead of 15. I think they should just have onside kicks be the old kick off formation.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the proposed 4th & 15 but it would be better than what we saw last year in regards to onside kicks. I don't like that it would come down to an offense v. defense situation and then obviously there's the possibility that it could be easily swayed/steered by penalties like PI, holding, personal foul, etc.

I'm with sdog and kidhawk, I'd much prefer the kicking team "declared" that they're doing an onside kick and both teams are allowed to line up like they were in the past. At least we're preserving SOME importance of special teams/kickoffs.

Reaction score
They are doing this right now in the AAC it might be 4 and 12 but this is a rule they are implementing right now in the AAC along with u must go for two n no kick offs!

DJrmb

Reaction score
I feel like this is being over thought by the AAF/NFL. The goal is to make it hard but attainable probably somewhere in the 10-15% success range. Isn't there some combination of lining up and minimum kick distance that could get it there without completely altering part of the game and getting on the slippery slope of eventually eliminating kickers all together? How about instead of the ball having to travel 10 yards it only has to travel 5? Or backing up the receiving team 5 or 10 more yards? You might have to tweak some other things like not allowing the kicker to recover the ball, or requiring 5 players on either side of the ball, but I feel like there is some combination that should work and still keep kickoffs/onside kicks as a part of the game. I'd like to see them figure something out that works at the end of games when everyone knows it's happening but also something that brings back the surprise onside kick too (without making it too easy for the kicking team).

sutz

Reaction score
DJrmb":34g47n1j said:
I feel like this is being over thought by the AAF/NFL. The goal is to make it hard but attainable probably somewhere in the 10-15% success range. Isn't there some combination of lining up and minimum kick distance that could get it there without completely altering part of the game and getting on the slippery slope of eventually eliminating kickers all together? How about instead of the ball having to travel 10 yards it only has to travel 5? Or backing up the receiving team 5 or 10 more yards? You might have to tweak some other things like not allowing the kicker to recover the ball, or requiring 5 players on either side of the ball, but I feel like there is some combination that should work and still keep kickoffs/onside kicks as a part of the game. I'd like to see them figure something out that works at the end of games when everyone knows it's happening but also something that brings back the surprise onside kick too (without making it too easy for the kicking team).
Yeah, it's kind of funny that we call it football, but step by step we're eliminating kicking the ball from the game. :twisted:

themunn

Reaction score
With a 4th and 15 from the 35 would you not be better off rolling out the punting unit than the kickoff team?

Certainly with Dickson!

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
sutz":13mjcpux said:
Yeah, it's kind of funny that we call it football, but step by step we're eliminating kicking the ball from the game. :twisted:

Seahawks are ahead of the curve on yet another NFL trend. We haven't had someone who can kick field goals in two years now.

Latest posts