NFL schedule

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They announced this morning that it comes out tomorrow at 5pm Pacific Time :irishdrinkers:
Nice! I was expecting Thursday.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":1kesfjs0 said:
As the schedule is coming out this week I found this read I retesting. Especially the part about lowering the percentage points of penalties with 20% immediately.

Of course things like early start times is probably not factored in

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp

That was a really good read. I have a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics, so find that kind of stuff fascinating. I could absolutely see how an NFL Schedule setup could eat up a lot of resources in a Supercomputing center. Just consider 32 teams * home * away * 16 weeks * bye conflicts * London * Not playing a team after a bye too often*etc etc etc. It sounds like they were using heuristics to get it down to a manageable number, then running it through a Supercomputer AND outperforming the NFL's methods by 20%

Thank God for Mathematicians that are also Bills fans. It still seems odd that they had to play so many teams coming off a bye for what, 10 years? And Pittsburgh never played in Seattle for the longest time? There's some fudging going on, probably in the name of "Heuristics." :p

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Another rumor has us playing at home on Halloween vs. the Vikings. :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hgfqbtm said:
mikeak":1hgfqbtm said:
As the schedule is coming out this week I found this read I retesting. Especially the part about lowering the percentage points of penalties with 20% immediately.

Of course things like early start times is probably not factored in

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp

That was a really good read. I have a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics, so find that kind of stuff fascinating. I could absolutely see how an NFL Schedule setup could eat up a lot of resources in a Supercomputing center. Just consider 32 teams * home * away * 16 weeks * bye conflicts * London * Not playing a team after a bye too often*etc etc etc. It sounds like they were using heuristics to get it down to a manageable number, then running it through a Supercomputer AND outperforming the NFL's methods by 20%

Thank God for Mathematicians that are also Bills fans. It still seems odd that they had to play so many teams coming off a bye for what, 10 years? And Pittsburgh never played in Seattle for the longest time? There's some fudging going on, probably in the name of "Heuristics." :p

Well part of the issue is the basic setup right

If the system says playing on the East coast does not carry any mileage issue, nor time difference issue for the visiting team, but a team can't go to the West coast more than once (or something similar) then it doesn't matter how many supercomputers or superformulas you are using - the schedule would help East coast team and all mathematical results would say it is fair...….

I think long term the answer needs to lie somewhere in the computers figuring out what is fair or at least propose based on statistical analysis of expected win percentage based on how good a team is vs actual outcome and what could have driven the difference....

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Actually, optimization software is fairly common and can be used for any number of scenarios where multiple choices at each stage result in multiple outcomes. While it's technically true that there are theoretically a gazillion possible combinations, it's not real-world true at all. For instance, if you have the constraint that each team has to play every other team in it's division twice a year, that one constraint alone cuts off a LOT of those theoretical possibilities. Add another constraint that each of those is a home-and-away set, a lot more go away. Add that each of the third-place teams will play the third-place team from that year's matched-up division from the other conference, and a lot more possibilities go away. Three constraints, and so far you've eliminated like 90% of those gazillion possible schedules. There are more constraints that also make up the schedule, and you can target certain aspects (miles traveled, consecutive away games, etc.) to be optimized. Then when you run it, it doesn't take a supercomputer a year, it takes a desktop PC a few minutes.

Of course it's possible to over-constrain the scenario, in which case there will be no answer that keeps all constraints intact (in math nerd-speak, the solution will not converge).

I used optimization software in grad school (in a class on power system economics) to optimize the starts, stops, run-times, and loads of a theoretical electric grid with a mix of generating station types, efficiencies, and fuel cost. It was actually pretty elucidating.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Saints schedule is out (supposedly).

Has Saints @Rams Week 2
And Saints @Hawks Week 3

Sunday games

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping that is accurate. Week 3 at home on SNF vs. Brees and the Saints? oh hell yes.
Very few places are better than the House of Noise on a warm September evening.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The leaked Saints schedule appears to be real.

Jets and Giants out too, but that didn’t affect out teams. I don’t see anything else.

Wondering who is stuck w the second MNF game since it’ll be two west coast teams. So far only Niners@Bucs listed.

Also: it shows as a Sunday game, not a SNF game. But I don’t think that’s known for sure yet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw one other one that said it was Sunday night. That would be a blast. Nothing but respect for Brees and the Saints. Coach is pos though imo.

James in PA

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates! Keep em coming. I’m trying to keep calm and not go postal if we open on the road again, but it ain’t gonna be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedAlice

Reaction score
Can the Hawks open at home?

Saw Bengals @Hawks listed - but it said process of elimination, not a source.

James in PA

Reaction score
RedAlice":1daobetg said:

I just saw this too in a Bengals schedule leak. It has Cincy at Seattle week 1 OR hosting Cleveland.

James in PA

Reaction score
James in PA":1y6uuw55 said:
RedAlice":1y6uuw55 said:

I just saw this too in a Bengals schedule leak. It has Cincy at Seattle week 1 OR hosting Cleveland.

Sporting News says Browns at Titans week 1. Could that mean Cincy at Hawks week 1??

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time they put some odd pairing with us to start the season. Seems like it has happened quite a few times. Miami, Detroit, NY Jets, Tampa Bay, Chicago etc.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rams are @Panthers week 1, so also a random start. Then Saints and Browns.

So looks like we are not starting out division heavy as we have in the past.

James in PA

Reaction score
IF all these schedule leaks are accurate (a big if) it will be Cincy at Hawks week one just by process of elimination. Not the sexiest matchup, but I’m just thankful we’re not opening on the road! As J.J. Watt once said, time to make Andy Dalton look like a Red Ryder BB gun!