UW fans - any insight on Rapp and Gaines?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I'm stoked about these two picks for the Rams, and have read the reports - but I'm sure some Washington fans watched every game they played. Any insights on what I can expect?

sdog1981

Reaction score
They will both suck, please inform your coaching staff to cut them immediately. So they can never make an impact in the NFC West.

All joke aside. Gaines is your run of the mill 5 technique 3-4 down lineman. He stuffs the run he occupies double teams. He will do his job without glory and other players on the D will be better for it.

Rapp is the impact player, the guy started as a true freshman and made big plays in his first Pac-12 title game appearance. He is a damn fine cover safety. When he got "hurt" before the Rose Bowl Ohio State carved up UWs passing D.

Right now it looks like there is a little bit of a UW pipeline going to LA.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're gonna' love Rapp. Kid is all over the field and has a nose for the football. Gaines is a solid player, not the biggest guy, but he works hard and can contribute.

I hate that you guys got both of these players. :lol:

sdog1981

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wgbpohyp said:
You're gonna' love Rapp. Kid is all over the field and has a nose for the football. Gaines is a solid player, not the biggest guy, but he works hard and can contribute.

I hate that you guys got both of these players. :lol:

6' 1" 312 LBS that is the prototypical size for an NFL run stuffer. Short and strong.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I've never seen him as a big dude, but sure, that's a big dude :irishdrinkers:
Doesn't matter regardless, he gets the job done.

OP
OP
R

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Yea I was stoked about Gaines in particular. Most Rams fans wanted a true run stuffing DT after the Suh experiment last year, but we figured it wouldn't happen. I think Gaines will start and play on 1st and 2nd downs.

Looks like we might be plugging Rapp into the nickel LB spot for 3rd downs - but honestly, I heard a lot of not so great reviews on Weddle, so it wouldn't shock me if Rapp was starting at some point this year.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Rapp has shown substantial amount of evidence that he doesn't enjoy playing the game of football, and has no problem letting down his teammates and fans for personal reasons.

Gaines is awesome.

Chapow

Reaction score
What Fender is ever so melodramatically referring to is that Rapp chose not to play in the Rose Bowl so as to not unnecessarily expose himself to injury in what is essentially an exhibition game now a days shortly before the NFL combine and draft.

I get where Fender is coming from even though he's being a massive drama queen about it, but I also get why Rapp made the decision that he did. More and more players now a days are making the same decision that Rapp did and it's kind of hard to blame them IMO. If you're not playing for a national championship is it worth risking who knows how much money? Maybe even your career? Can you imagine being projected as a possible 1st/2nd round draft pick and then you get injured in a glorified exhibition game and end up dropping several rounds in the draft because of it? It would be brutal after everything you've gone through to get to this point and I can't blame a guy for deciding that the risk isn't worth it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, but he's passionate on the field and makes a ridiculous amount of plays. That's what matters.

Tical21

Reaction score
You're gonna love Gaines. Lunchpail.

Rapp is great, although Gaines is probably faster. Honestly, I think Rapp will probably prove to be a better fit for college than the pros, but he'll be a favorite of the coaching staff.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
A few things to point out:

1. Yes, I'm being dramatic. I love my Huskies.
2. I don't agree with calling the Rose Bowl an exhibition game. You win that game, bring home Hardware. A trophy that sits in the display case forever.

3. Yes, Rapp makes big plays....when he decides to actually play. Much like Cam Newton.

Tical21

Reaction score
He wouldn't sit. He's Asian. Fact that he's still dealing with the hip tells you a lot.

Chapow

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1i8zphk6 said:
A few things to point out:

1. Yes, I'm being dramatic. I love my Huskies.
2. I don't agree with calling the Rose Bowl an exhibition game. You win that game, bring home Hardware. A trophy that sits in the display case forever.

The same can be said of the Camillia Bowl and the Boca Raton Bowl. Every bowl game awards the winner a trophy. FTR, I do agree that the Rose Bowl is a more prestigious bowl than most, but like I said, in this day and age it is essentially an exhibition game just like all the other bowl games that don't have National Championship ramifications.

3. Yes, Rapp makes big plays....when he decides to actually play. Much like Cam Newton.

Please list all the times Rapp was healthy and decided not to play.