Ndamukong Suh

knownone

Reaction score
It's possible. I wouldn't mind adding him to the rotation of a medium-sized contract.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
knownone":nkaq3aet said:
It's possible. I wouldn't mind adding him to the rotation of a medium-sized contract.
He's from Portland which is like 3 hours from here. I think its going to come down to money. If Suh is asking 20 mil a year at 32 years old it wont happen. I still think Seattle will pass on him, but you never know.

Rat

Reaction score
Doubt it.

Personally, I like him, and I'm comfortable with the character concerns because they seem well in his past, but he strikes me as someone who will stand somewhat intransigent on higher contract demands than what I believe the team will be willing to agree to.

Chawker

Reaction score
Suh would defiantly help with the run as well as the passing game, but buyer must beware of his age and the amount of money spent acquiring him. As far as his nastyness, I wouldn't mind him head stomping one or two referees. :2thumbs:
Cheers

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If the price is right, pick him up.

We need D line help. I don't care about character issues if he's not beating up women or kids and stuff like that.

James in PA

Reaction score
I’d be all for this. Still has some gas left in the tank & it would be sticking it to the Rams at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanomoz

Reaction score
No. I can't see it.

With the effort the Hawks just put into culture, leadership, and intensity in the draft; signing Suh would conflict with what seems to be an overall vision/plan for this offseason.

The dude's effort just isn't consistent. With the amount of young talent on the defense that needs to take the next step, it seems unlikely that he'd be the kind of veteran presence this team would prefer.

knownone

Reaction score
nanomoz":1uirkwbl said:
No. I can't see it.

With the effort the Hawks just put into culture, leadership, and intensity in the draft; signing Suh would conflict with what seems to be an overall vision/plan for this offseason.

The dude's effort just isn't consistent. With the amount of young talent on the defense that needs to take the next step, it seems unlikely that he'd be the kind of veteran presence this team would prefer.
I've heard about his effort issues, but I can't seem to find anything that verifies it. Clayton uses his lack of sacks with the Rams as evidence of his effort concerns, but what he doesn't seem to realize is Suh put up 4.5 sacks playing nose tackle. A role that doesn't suit him or lend itself to sack numbers.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that Suh can have more QB hits than Khalil Mack last season while playing out of position and not giving a consistent effort.

quadsas

Reaction score
I would love to have him, dishing out some pain. But I highly doubt JS is gonna pursue him hard

nanomoz

Reaction score
knownone":ymtnvafc said:
nanomoz":ymtnvafc said:
No. I can't see it.

I've heard about his effort issues, but I can't seem to find anything that verifies it. Clayton uses his lack of sacks with the Rams as evidence of his effort concerns, but what he doesn't seem to realize is Suh put up 4.5 sacks playing nose tackle. A role that doesn't suit him or lend itself to sack numbers.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that Suh can have more QB hits than Khalil Mack last season while playing out of position and not giving a consistent effort.

Where are you getting these numbers? I don't buy it. If it's PFF, I really don't buy it. I think they fabricate much of what they do. They claimed that Jimmy Graham was a better blocker than Ed Dickson in Graham's final year in Seattle.

Two considerations, though: Aaron Donald might be the best player I've ever seen. No joke. Playing next to him can't suck.

Secondly, Ram opponents were playing from behind a shocking percentage of the time. Fewer defensive tackles had more opportunities than the dudes on the Rams.

Tical21

Reaction score
No. No. He's lazy. He doesn't practice. He might be an ok fit for a vet team, but spells disaster for a younger one. I personally think he's done. Can't be a run stuffer and be lazy.

knownone

Reaction score
nanomoz":258as58r said:
knownone":258as58r said:
nanomoz":258as58r said:
No. I can't see it.

Where are you getting these numbers? I don't buy it. If it's PFF, I really don't buy it. I think they fabricate much of what they do. They claimed that Jimmy Graham was a better blocker than Ed Dickson in Graham's final year in Seattle.

Two considerations, though: Aaron Donald might be the best player I've ever seen. No joke. Playing next to him can't suck.

Secondly, Ram opponents were playing from behind a shocking percentage of the time. Fewer defensive tackles had more opportunities than the dudes on the Rams.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/defense.htm#defense::17 sort by QB hits.

Aaron Donald damn near doubled his career high for sacks and QB hits playing next to Suh.

None of Suh's stats show he's not giving a consistent effort. He played the 3rd most snaps of any defensive lineman last season. He has the same number of tackles as Donald, he just doesn't have the sack numbers. Keep in mind, Donald plays 3 technique, and Suh played fricken nose tackle. Linval Joseph is probably the best nose tackle this decade; He's never had more than 4 sacks in a season.

This shows up in the NFL's next gen stats. 70% of Suh's rushes came at nose tackle, his pressure% was 5.5, and his sack rate was 0.5. The remaining 30% of rushes are on the edge, his pressure% is 9, and his sack rate is 2.5. Those are great numbers for any 34 defensive lineman, and this dude is putting them up with out giving consistent effort? I find that hard to believe.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Fair points, knownone. I respect your opinion on this, given those numbers. Crazy Jarran Reed had 24 QB hits.

I don't think those stats preclude taking a fair number of plays off, but I respect that you do. For sure. I think they do indicate he doesn't deserve nearly as bad of a rap as he's gotten as to being lazy. But I've heard a couple of people I respect claim that Suh admitted to mailing it in some last year. Though, I can't find evidence of this anywhere. I think the first place I heard it was from Rob Staton at Seahawks Draft Blog. If I think of it, I'll ask him where he heard it.

For what it's worth, Suh is regarded as one of the most physically gifted interior lineman in this generation. That, combined with how many opportunities there were to rush the passer without worrying about the running game, and playing with Donald and Brockers, could afford production that looks more impressive than it is.

But, conversely, as you point out, it could go the other way as well--Donald did have quite a season last year.

That was verbose. Apologies. :)

Tical21

Reaction score
Clayton told a story yesterday about how Wade Phillips had to go up to Suh during camp and ask him to work hard for a couple days so he could figure out what kind of player he was so he could figure out how to use him, as he had shown nothing to that point. Think it was on Danny, Dave and Moore.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
Someone asked me why we would pass on Suh. Its simple...We need to pay wags. Hawks have like 20 mil in cap space or something like that. Wags is gonna get a extension and I think he gets paid this year. Wags is probably gonna get I dont know maybe 17 mil a year give or take. Wags is gonna get that frank clark money.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
hawks85":1i3oqxk5 said:
Someone asked me why we would pass on Suh. Its simple...We need to pay wags. Hawks have like 20 mil in cap space or something like that. Wags is gonna get a extension and I think he gets paid this year. Wags is probably gonna get I dont know maybe 17 mil a year give or take. Wags is gonna get that frank clark money.

I'm not an expert on the cap by any means but if they just extend him his overall salary won't go up dramatically this year as his base will remain the same and just this years portion of the bonus and next year when the full brunt of it hits there is a lot of cap room to take on that hit. You could bring in Suh and make it work but if somebody is better with the cap feel free to correct me. Could be even more in the bank if ADB does retire so I don't think financially it's impossible just depends on how JS and PC want to allocate funds. I think he'd be a hell of a fit here, the tandom of him and Reed could be epic.