Too much tape?

mrt144

Reaction score
https://deadspin.com/sean-mcvay-says-he ... 1834640119

I admire McVay for his tenacity, transparency (relative to others, obviously) and humility. The fascinating aspect of this admission is that I have experienced this first hand in a few games that I play and take somewhat seriously. Pouring over every single little thing and getting the blinders on and then totally whiffing in the big game.

Too much information and analysis can render one's self ineffective. Pretty fun rub to the whole enterprise.

James in PA

Reaction score
Classic Belichick getting inside the opposing coach’s head in a big game, causing them to overthink and get away from what normally works for them. Yep. Been there, done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
sutz":3qwgkonp said:
They call it paralysis by analysis. ;)

This is where the experience and honing intuition to be peerless leaves you...well...peerless. It's not all about knowing all the elements and possibilities - it's about when knowing to shut that off and filter it out and let the accrued information interplay with your intuition so that you are dedicating more of a cognitive load to the risk/reward in the moment.

I argue that most coaches err on the other side where they rely too much on a maladapted intuition at the expense of information which leads to obvious suboptimal play calling that is only edified by 'guts and hunches' beyond reproach (on a short timeline. You do it enough on a long timeline and you're not a coach for long).

I think the Rams are a blight on the NFL at large but the story of McVay as coach is just too fascinating to pass up for me. I'm stuck between rooting for seeing a young dude rise up learn and grow and crush it because it satisifies some of my own vanity and rooting to see the Rams get their hearts broken over and over and over.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Where was McVay's team of coordinators, assistant coaches, analysts, and advisors, to help him break free from his deer in the headlights reaction to the Patriots' game plan? Seems like a failure of leadership on McVay's part. The Rams D was actually doing excellent overall. But with McVay having been annointed, and foolishly accepting this annointment, as an "offensive genius", he had nobody there and ready to help him break free from the mental meltdown he was having and make adjustments on offense, to analyze and adjust to what NE was doing. No hurry-up??!! Next to no screens??!! 10 carries for Todd Gurley??!! I guess it never crossed McVay's mind that NE could come up with a game plan that stuffed his offense and that he might have to adjust.

To be fair, God knows I've had moments or games like that in my sports coaching career, but in most cases it was more a matter of facing an opponent with superior athletes or talent, and not having an entire team of coordinators, assistants, scouts, to help me make on-the-fly adjustments. As if there were any adjustments that could have totally turned things around at halftime, against superior opponents. Not to mention somewhat lower stakes. One of my best adjustments was, when down 6-2 at halftime of a soccer game, simply staying calm and getting my triple-teamed star player to calm down, stop going 1-on-3 all the time, and use her teammates more. We came back to "win" 9-8 on goals by the "lesser stars" of the team, with assists from the star. The difference was I could see what was going on, what the other team's game plan was, while McVay couldn't seem to recognize or make sense out of what the Patriots were doing, to have any concept for what adjustments to make. In my case, the opponents had come up with a plan to take our star out of the game by triple-teaming her, to force our other players to have to be the ones to make plays.

The Rams were certainly NOT overwhelmed by the "superior talent" of the Patriots. You could make an argument for Brady over Goff, but Brady sucked for most of the game. Holding a Tom Brady Patriots team to 13 points is a WIN for the Rams defense, or ANY defense To McVay's credit, he took ownership and responsibility for the failure. Darrell Bevell, are you listening somewhere, and learning from McVay's example, and taking responsibility for your own shitty plan, and lack of situational awareness, rather than blaming a 4th-string Wide Receiver for your own multiple failures? Probably not.

Wade Phillips seemed to handle the Patriots offense well for most of the game, adjusting and holding them to a FG through 3 quarters. The adjustment failures were nearly all on the Rams offensive side. I get the feeling McVay will learn from this and adjust. He actually took responsibility and accountability for the failure, unlike Darrell Bevell. Sometimes you only get one chance on the big stage like that, but McVay is young enough and capable enough that he might well get more chances, and if he does, I think he'll be much better prepared with a support team and a plan B, plan C, and plan D the second time.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
olyfan63":24cmaif1 said:
Where was McVay's team of coordinators, assistant coaches, analysts, and advisors, to help him break free from his deer in the headlights reaction to the Patriots' game plan? Seems like a failure of leadership on McVay's part. The Rams D was actually doing excellent overall. But with McVay having been annointed, and foolishly accepting this annointment, as an "offensive genius", he had nobody there and ready to help him break free from the mental meltdown he was having and make adjustments on offense, to analyze and adjust to what NE was doing. No hurry-up??!! Next to no screens??!! 10 carries for Todd Gurley??!! I guess it never crossed McVay's mind that NE could come up with a game plan that stuffed his offense and that he might have to adjust.

To be fair, God knows I've had moments or games like that in my sports coaching career, but in most cases it was more a matter of facing an opponent with superior athletes or talent, and not having an entire team of coordinators, assistants, scouts, to help me make on-the-fly adjustments. As if there were any adjustments that could have totally turned things around at halftime, against superior opponents. Not to mention somewhat lower stakes. One of my best adjustments was, when down 6-2 at halftime of a soccer game, simply staying calm and getting my triple-teamed star player to calm down, stop going 1-on-3 all the time, and use her teammates more. We came back to "win" 9-8 on goals by the "lesser stars" of the team, with assists from the star. The difference was I could see what was going on, what the other team's game plan was, while McVay couldn't seem to recognize or make sense out of what the Patriots were doing, to have any concept for what adjustments to make. In my case, the opponents had come up with a plan to take our star out of the game by triple-teaming her, to force our other players to have to be the ones to make plays.

The Rams were certainly NOT overwhelmed by the "superior talent" of the Patriots. You could make an argument for Brady over Goff, but Brady sucked for most of the game. Holding a Tom Brady Patriots team to 13 points is a WIN for the Rams defense, or ANY defense To McVay's credit, he took ownership and responsibility for the failure. Darrell Bevell, are you listening somewhere, and learning from McVay's example, and taking responsibility for your own shitty plan, and lack of situational awareness, rather than blaming a 4th-string Wide Receiver for your own multiple failures? Probably not.

Wade Phillips seemed to handle the Patriots offense well for most of the game, adjusting and holding them to a FG through 3 quarters. The adjustment failures were nearly all on the Rams offensive side. I get the feeling McVay will learn from this and adjust. He actually took responsibility and accountability for the failure, unlike Darrell Bevell. Sometimes you only get one chance on the big stage like that, but McVay is young enough and capable enough that he might well get more chances, and if he does, I think he'll be much better prepared with a support team and a plan B, plan C, and plan D the second time.

This is what every leader hopes for - a crew that is willing to speak up and assess the situation and provide awareness and solutions for them to act on and implement. I am not surprised that a head coach, who has had so much placed on him, would find perilous few assistants willing to speak up because they put their full faith in him to simply outsmart and out think the other team's staff.

It'll be his management nut to crack going forward. Really appreciate you dropping in with your 2 cents and experience as a coach. Thanks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McVay can say whatever he wants, the SB was over before it started. Belichick eats young inexperienced QB's for lunch......especially ones like Goff that rely on their coaches for line of scrimmage play changes.

It was like taking candy from a baby, waiting for the clock to run down far enough to where Goff couldn't change the play, then setting his defense. Goff was putrid.

The NFC desperately needed the Saints to win the NFC Championship game to have any chance of beating the Patriots with Brees at QB instead of Goff.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pretty much. McVay still doesn't get it. He thinks he can just review what he did, then fix it, and win next time. He wasn't prepared for Belicheck doing what Bill does, and he paid the price for it.

He got beat. Pretty simple.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":39q08nfu said:
Pretty much. McVay still doesn't get it. He thinks he can just review what he did, then fix it, and win next time. He wasn't prepared for Belicheck doing what Bill does, and he paid the price for it.

He got beat. Pretty simple.

I mean, what is the alternative approach here? McVay quits altogether and starts selling real estate?