Josh McDaniels explains Patriots importing big WRs

ivotuk

Reaction score
(This is the same approach Pete and John take to their players, accentuate their abilities.)

Josh McDaniels explains Patriots importing big WRs

"I think the biggest thing we try to do with our team and our offense in particular is take guys who have a skill and a talent and don't try to fit them to what we've done in the past," McDaniels said, via NBC Sports Boston. "If you try to do that, you tell me where the next Troy Brown is. Or the next Logan Mankins or the next Tom Brady. We'll try to go get that guy. It's not that easy.

"You have to have enough flexibility and versatility in your system that you can maybe feature the X-receiver. Or the Z-receiver. Or the tight end. Or two tight ends. Or the halfback. Whatever style you want to be, it should reflect the talent of your team. So that's what we're gonna do with (Harry) and see what happens. Now, he's a rookie and he's got a long way to go but in terms of him being different, he is. And we'll try to see what he does well and see what can fit in his wheelhouse."

Big-bodied Rob Gronkowski was replaced by an aging Benjamin Watson and under-productive Austin Seferian-Jenkins, but both bring size to the tight end position. Similarly, the Patriots could look to bigger receivers who can play the slot -- like Harry and Inman -- to take advantage of mismatches.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -receivers

GeekHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":28c5e5iv said:
(This is the same approach Pete and John take to their players, accentuate their abilities.)

Well, on the D at least. On the O we were handicapped with bevel and rhymes-with-unable. As witness, the woeful inability to properly use "I'm Jimmy!"... We'll see how the new O-regime does. I'm still ambivalent and possibly leaning to hopeful with Schotty, which contrasts with my negative-from-the-start opinion of bevel.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Patriots do it, they are geniuses, Seattle does it, it’s a desperate reach.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":364yitc0 said:

The process probably isn't the same given the outcomes, or something.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":1qig71ms said:
Sports Hernia":1qig71ms said:

They way some of you are you would think we were the Dolphins or Cards around here.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":2p2wk4pn said:
mrt144":2p2wk4pn said:
Sports Hernia":2p2wk4pn said:

They way some of you are you would think we were the Dolphins or Cards around here.

Nah, not at all. Rather, it's just hard to really see where the parallels are without some more guidance. I agree with GeekHawk's sentiment: I can see exactly that kind of thing with the defense. It feels like the opposite of what I've seen with the offense, even if I exaggerate it for effect.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mrt144":22a0bsml said:
Sports Hernia":22a0bsml said:

You missed the point, but thanks for playing! :sarcasm_off:

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2fsgkiel said:
mrt144":2fsgkiel said:
Sports Hernia":2fsgkiel said:

The point is the national sports media and fans ourselves don't appreciate PCJS nearly enough. No, I read that loud and clear. Doesn't matter to me. I so do not give a toss about how other people respect or appreciate the Hawks and the staff. We win, they can't say a damn thing.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":i022od5r said:
Sports Hernia":i022od5r said:
mrt144":i022od5r said:
Sports Hernia":i022od5r said:

The point is the national sports media and fans ourselves don't appreciate PCJS nearly enough. No, I read that loud and clear. Doesn't matter to me. I so do not give a toss about how other people respect or appreciate the Hawks and the staff. We win, they can't say a damn thing.

They have been saying the same shit win or lose, we as fans just laugh at them for being so set in their ways that they cannot admit John and Pete know what they are doing. They will keep saying this crap till the day comes where we fall off and they will say see we told you so.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":211wdij3 said:
mrt144":211wdij3 said:
Sports Hernia":211wdij3 said:
mrt144":211wdij3 said:

They have been saying the same shit win or lose, we as fans just laugh at them for being so set in their ways that they cannot admit John and Pete know what they are doing. They will keep saying this crap till the day comes where we fall off and they will say see we told you so.
Pete and John know what they are doing on defense, for sure. Unfortunately the same cannot always be said about the offense. The Carroll led Seahawks most definitely do not adhere to the McDaniels ethos there. In fact it is quite the opposite. A lot of times the Seahawks force a square peg into a round hole on that side of the ball. A good example of that would be Jimmy Graham.

All that being said, what McDaniels previous track record as HC suggests is that not even he adheres to that ethos on both sides of the ball. Billicheck is really unique in that regard, his scheme changes every year, sometimes even from game to game. Not many coaches have that kind of fluidity, and that is partially what makes him one of, if not the greatest coach of all time.

mrt144

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":28kqdozt said:
chris98251":28kqdozt said:
mrt144":28kqdozt said:
Sports Hernia":28kqdozt said:

Pete and John know what they are doing on defense, for sure. Unfortunately the same cannot always be said about the offense. The Carroll led Seahawks most definitely do not adhere to the McDaniels ethos there. In fact it is quite the opposite. A lot of times the Seahawks force a square peg into a round hole on that side of the ball. A good example of that would be Jimmy Graham.

All that being said, what McDaniels previous track record as HC suggests is that not even he adheres to that ethos on both sides of the ball. Billicheck is really unique in that regard, his scheme changes every year, sometimes even from game to game. Not many coaches have that kind of fluidity, and that is partially what makes him one of, if not the greatest coach of all time.

McDaniels as HC, :lol: , that was ignonimous.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Watching the small quick WR guys Edelman and Amendola rip other teams apart in playoffs and Super Bowl was so engaging it made me forget about Randy Moss for a while.

Credit to NE, they find they guys on offense and take advantage of their skills. Hope Seattle does that successfully with DK Metcalf.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
olyfan63":12kesepe said:
Watching the small quick WR guys Edelman and Amendola rip other teams apart in playoffs and Super Bowl was so engaging it made me forget about Randy Moss for a while.

Credit to NE, they find they guys on offense and take advantage of their skills. Hope Seattle does that successfully with DK Metcalf.

Ah yesss, Edelman beating the Rams makes the pain of the last Su***B*** a little less. :)

xray

Reaction score
There is no comparisons in my mind between the Patriots and the Seahawks . It would be great for the Hawks if were true ;but seriously ? Belichick has 8 rings; 6 with the Patriots and 3 coach of the year awards. He will be in the HOF. He is the GOAT coach in my mind and most others. He drafted and made Brady the future HOF and GOAT QB . He is HC and GM ; and has arguably the best staff in the NFL. He has a 6th sense about football talent and puts together championship caliber teams seems like every year for 2 decades . 10 trips to the big dance winning 6. I've been a Hawks fan since 1976 ; but comparing coaching or anything else between the two teams is futile . The Hawks will always be my team no matter what. GO HAWKS

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Most teams don't do this like the Patriots do.

The Seahawks absolutely aren't one of the teams that do it. My favorite team, the 9ers, don't do it either.

On both offense and defense the Patriots are overhauling their schemes each year -- and sometimes radically -- to accentuate the skills of the players they have that year. They're also overhauling their schemes each week to exploit weaknesses of who they're playing more than other teams do.

In contrast, both the Seahawks and 9ers acquire players to fit their schemes.

Schotty and Carroll have their schemes. They might get tweaked but the basic schemes they use aren't changing.
It's the same for Shanahan.

Everyone likes to say they're like the Patriots because the Patriots are the most successful team of the 21st century, but on this count, for the whole NFC West even it's not even REMOTELY true.

HawkGA

Reaction score
xray":1qibu7cl said:
There is no comparisons in my mind between the Patriots and the Seahawks . It would be great for the Hawks if were true ;but seriously ? Belichick has 8 rings; 6 with the Patriots and 3 coach of the year awards. He will be in the HOF. He is the GOAT coach in my mind and most others. He drafted and made Brady the future HOF and GOAT QB . He is HC and GM ; and has arguably the best staff in the NFL. He has a 6th sense about football talent and puts together championship caliber teams seems like every year for 2 decades . 10 trips to the big dance winning 6. I've been a Hawks fan since 1976 ; but comparing coaching or anything else between the two teams is futile . The Hawks will always be my team no matter what. GO HAWKS

Here's an interesting thing to think about: The amazing run the Patriots have had, but how many Hall of Famers? Brady is honestly the only one that is a shoe-in. Gronk is a probably. And then of course Bill is a shoe-in. But from a player perspective, can you think of any other dynasty that had so few players for the Hall?

Heck, I expect the Seahawks to have more players from their run than the Patriots from their run.

Edit - okay, just looked it up and they do have a few other HOFers but they are all people who made their be with other teams, with the exception of Ty Law.

xray

Reaction score
HawkGA":1or08ip2 said:
xray":1or08ip2 said:

Here's an interesting thing to think about: The amazing run the Patriots have had, but how many Hall of Famers? Brady is honestly the only one that is a shoe-in. Gronk is a probably. And then of course Bill is a shoe-in. But from a player perspective, can you think of any other dynasty that had so few players for the Hall?

Heck, I expect the Seahawks to have more players from their run than the Patriots from their run.

Edit - okay, just looked it up and they do have a few other HOFers but they are all people who made their be with other teams, with the exception of Ty Law.

I think it's because Belichick turns over personnel more often then most any other coach .

Latest posts