QB controversy in 9ers land?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 am
  • Wow, QB controversy?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: QB controversy in 9ers land?
Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am
  • Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 11:51 am
  • And Sgt. Largent was giving me a ration over losing to Mullens.

Mullens played well and not just against us.

Garropolo is Matt Flynn right now.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 17, 2019 1:16 pm
  • Jeez , way to delete posts...whats the point?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 4:35 pm
  • I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
  • On a side note. Remove the injury. Jimmy was on pace for;

3,829 yards
    26TD
    16INT

Not great, but not bad.

Mullen’s was on pace for;
    4,554 yards
    26TD
    20INT

It’s anyones race.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm
  • rlkats wrote:On a side note. Remove the injury. Jimmy was on pace for;

3,829 yards
    26TD
    16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
    26TD
    20INT

It’s anyones race.

With Mullen, they will have tonnes of cap room. and by trading GQ, they may even get a first round pic.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    rlkats wrote:On a side note. Remove the injury. Jimmy was on pace for;

3,829 yards
    26TD
    16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
    26TD
    20INT

It’s anyones race.

With Mullen, they will have tonnes of cap room. and by trading GQ, they may even get a first round pic.

Coming of ACLtear, one half of a decent season and a huge salary.

They're not getting a first. But... If they like Mullens that much probably worth sounding out some trade partners
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    rlkats wrote:On a side note. Remove the injury. Jimmy was on pace for;

3,829 yards
    26TD
    16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
    26TD
    20INT

It’s anyones race.

Coming of ACLtear, one half of a decent season and a huge salary.

They're not getting a first. But... If they like Mullens that much probably worth sounding out some trade partners

difficult situation as 9ers fans are totally into GQ.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm
  • rlkats wrote:have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

Yeah, but how many people tear it untouched tripping over nothing? Lol.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 pm
  • Garoppolo is flat out better. Even his "bad" game wasn't nearly as bad as people think by looking at the stats.

The only real concern anyone who knows anything about this team has is, besides his durability, whether or not Mullens will improve enough to justify cutting Garoppolo after next year to save the money.

As of today, as of THIS season, THERE IS no controversy. Garoppolo is flat out the starter, end of discussion. Anything you've heard regarding this is baseless speculation, probably from people who haven't followed the team well.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 pm
  • These guys are talking about getting Cousins on the 49ers? In a trade? If you take these guys serious you should just give up. No way they take a higher paid QB that has played no better and probably worse the last year or two. Come on. This is idiotic.

If Garoppolo regresses, or has another season ending injury, they'd probably trade him and promote Mullens. But they don't think that will happen.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 am
  • i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

And its legitimate. 49er fans extrapolate a few good games from JG into a career. That's not quite how it works and he will need to be better than good to keep Mullens on the sidelines.

Thus... the title of the thread.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

And its legitimate. 49er fans extrapolate a few good games from JG into a career. That's not quite how it works and he will need to be better than good to keep Mullens on the sidelines.

In 9ers land, GQ-Shanny-Paraag are like the holy trinity, with GQ as the son, and Paraag the ghost of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 pm
  • I mentioned this back in February in the other 49ers thread.

We really don't know any more now about Garoppolo than we did last season, and quite honestly Mullens didn't play bad this season. They've both played 8 games in SFO, they have very similar numbers, and Mullens is 4 years younger. It's at least possible that Mullens is the better QB long term than Garoppolo... Honestly, If Mullens turns into a stud and the 49ers cut Garoppolo next offseason. I think the 49ers will be a threat.

If the rumors are true, the 49ers are probably seeing what was obvious in February. Unless Garoppolo is a significant upgrade over Mullens, it does them no good to keep him on that contract when they'd be better off using that cap space to build around Mullens.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

The video posted in the original poster's thread suggested getting rid of JG and trading for Kirk Cousins. Hence the relevance to the OP.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

The video posted in the original poster's thread suggested getting rid of JG and trading for Kirk Cousins. Hence the relevance to the OP.

But obviously the conversation has been about JG and Mullens.. even your first post on the topic.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun May 19, 2019 12:36 am
  • From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 am
  • Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

I think he has the possibility to be really good. The sample size is small. But I feel like we could do a ton worse at QB. On the money side of it. It is what it is. It’s the NFL, they all make a crap ton of cash. There are other players at other positions that could be labeled as “payed to much”. When Stanford got his major contract the first time everyone said he was over paid. I think it’s the nature of the beast. You pay the person your in love with. Hopefully Garappolo pans out.

Oh the only QB I would have complete faith in for that money is, brace yourself;

Tom Brady

Ouch that pains me to say. But he has proven over and over again that he is worth every penny.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 9:09 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

But obviously the conversation has been about JG and Mullens.. even your first post on the topic.

Only because I was still in the process of listening to the video. Once they started yapping about Kirk Cousins I knew they were full of it.

There is only one concern with Jimmy G, and it is entirely depending on Mullens improving up to his level: and that's that both of their contracts are set up so that if Mullens overtakes him NEXT year they can swap the two with an under 5 million cap hit.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

I have absolute faith that when he's healthy he is currently the best quarterback on the roster. You Seahawk fans just saw Mullens shred you, but you didn't see his limitations because of how inexplicably bad Seattle did in covering Dante Pettis. Outside of the two Seattle games, these are Mullens' numbers: 126-197 10 tds, 9 INTs, 1588 yards, 86.85 passer rating. Not bad, but not great.

Mullens is not as accurate as JG. He's solid, but not as good at throwing from weird angles and under pressure. He doesn't have quite the same arm strength. In pretty much every category, JG is better. Has he demonstrated that he's much better? No, not yet. Maybe he won't.

But that's what this season is for. And it's why the two contracts are what they are. If JG isn't better than Mullens by the end of next season (which I find highly unlikely), they will be able to trade him for a small cap hit. If he is better, he's staying. Even if Mullens is "almost" as good.

chris98251 wrote:From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

What did you see? The two Seattle games? What about in 2017 when the team "played as a unit much more" and won five games?
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 4:03 pm
  • Mullen’s may not get the opportunity if GQ stays healthy, even if he would to have a mediocre season swinging in between kinda suck to hey there’s a flash.

Mullens became the first 49ers quarterback to throw for 220-or-more yards in eight consecutive games since Joe Montana did so in nine straight games from December 9, 1985, to December 7, 1986. He had one game-winning drive and would have had another one if the defense would have been able to hold up against the New York Giants.

Super good read here:
    https://qr.ae/TWNORr

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 pm
  • Another interesting take on GQ, just passing on the info:

https://qr.ae/TWNO2U

Leland Lundahl
    Answered Sep 14, 2018
    That would surprise me, John Lynch spent the last six months repeating all over the radio stations how he “single handedly fleeced the Patriots”. Would that turn out to be a mistake? Yep, just when you realize the QB he paid $27MM a year played only five games. Five games. I think the real storyline is how John Lynch did get fleeced, by Garoppolo’s agent. Because $27MM for five games? Not even 16, not even a playoff berth, nothing — just five total games. How ’bout I play for the Niners one game and John Lynch signs me to a $50MM extension? Would that be possible? He’d make a great Santa Claus for sure.

As for Garoppolo: you wanted the money, now it’s time to play ball. If you don’t have the weapons, maybe you should have taken a paycut instead of breaking the bank and promoting your dating life (how has-been is that) on TMZ. Secondly, this is Kyle Shannahan’s offense…there’s always somebody open. Kyle Shannahan is the best offensive playcaller in the league. He gets full backs open, he finds ways to get the third string tight end open, that’s how good he is. But what struck me the most in that game, is how apparent he is responsible for moving the offense almost 99% of the time. Essentially Garoppolo is just a caretaker. No wingspan on his arm, doesn’t recognize the blitz, defenses see too many tells in him, the way he sells the run with his head down, the way he sells the pass when his left leg is positioned in front, when both feet are joined it’s a run — no velocity, overthrows a lot of receivers. He made no plays in that game, it was all Shannahan’s ingenious offensive designing.

For instance, Shannahan loves to use these pocket sweeps and dumbo blocks to trap the defense into play-action and look how wide open the full back is.

Naked bootleg, the tight end releases freely uncovered and is able to earn a big gain.

Overall, Garoppolo just didn’t shred that defense, he hardly made any plays. He threw three interceptions, he took too many sacks in the red-zone, there was a goal-line situation where he didn’t sneak. This is the problem with Garoppolo, no game-changing throws, no big-time throws into clouded spaces. His hands are so small he can only really do one thing and that’s wrist snap the ball to receivers in motion. Other than that, bad decision maker, no anticipation, takes unnecessary sacks, low football IQ. Bottom line: he’s a one-read quarterback.

The few throws he was able to complete were in-breaking routes in stride.

On the naked boot he botches a throw with bad timing, uncorks a floater and the ball is too slow to get there.

Same situation here, bootleg, but I don’t know what he’s doing. is it a keep or a live play? Why is he running all the way to the boundary with the ball? The X over the top is open. He seems to have trouble actually executing a play-action and a bootleg, normally you’re supposed to step back up between the hash marks and unleash. With his lollygagging he closed out all of his receivers’ windows.

He took like five sacks in this game, gets bogged down too easily, seems to have found a tendency to break-free to his left when the pocket gets noisy but U-turns his whole body completely instead of dropping a step in a half backwards. Circus gagging, footwork really needs some polishing.

This time same thing, it’s too easy to get to him, you just know by the way he positions his left leg it’s a throw. Safety blitz, that time he never saw him.

It’s hard to tell if he doesn’t feel the pressure or if he’s simply incapable of stepping up into the creases. That time the elephant end just rushes around the arc, plenty of space to throw inside the pocket. He got lucky on that TD.

Here come the blitzes! Here come the blitzes! Two picks against the blitz in that game, he was just awful at reading them. First one it’s from the right side, corner screaming, and he throws to his right! Second time tango blitz up the middle, the space is wide open but he checks to the left with a terrible release. He uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to a lot tipped balls. The thing is, his velocity is so low, these throws are hanging way too long in the air.

Cover 2 this time, which means the combo routes are going to be neutralized, the wing back is open on the quick hitch but Garoppolo doesn’t see him. He undershoots too many passes in double, sometimes triple coverage.

Deep accuracy an issue, this is a rub combo, Kittel runs the spot, he’s open but the two don’t connect, that pass sails way over his head.

Well, it’s a good thing they are playing the Lions this sunday because for $28MM this season the Patriots have Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Trent Brown. John Lynch is the type of general manager that will get Jay Cutler out of retirement.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 9:55 pm
  • toffee wrote:Another interesting take on GQ, just passing on the info:

Leland Lundahl
    Answered Sep 14, 2018
    That would surprise me, John Lynch spent the last six months repeating all over the radio stations how he “single handedly fleeced the Patriots”. Would that turn out to be a mistake? Yep, just when you realize the QB he paid $27MM a year played only five games. Five games. I think the real storyline is how John Lynch did get fleeced, by Garoppolo’s agent. Because $27MM for five games? Not even 16, not even a playoff berth, nothing — just five total games. How ’bout I play for the Niners one game and John Lynch signs me to a $50MM extension? Would that be possible? He’d make a great Santa Claus for sure.

As for Garoppolo: you wanted the money, now it’s time to play ball. If you don’t have the weapons, maybe you should have taken a paycut instead of breaking the bank and promoting your dating life (how has-been is that) on TMZ. Secondly, this is Kyle Shannahan’s offense…there’s always somebody open. Kyle Shannahan is the best offensive playcaller in the league. He gets full backs open, he finds ways to get the third string tight end open, that’s how good he is. But what struck me the most in that game, is how apparent he is responsible for moving the offense almost 99% of the time. Essentially Garoppolo is just a caretaker. No wingspan on his arm, doesn’t recognize the blitz, defenses see too many tells in him, the way he sells the run with his head down, the way he sells the pass when his left leg is positioned in front, when both feet are joined it’s a run — no velocity, overthrows a lot of receivers. He made no plays in that game, it was all Shannahan’s ingenious offensive designing.

For instance, Shannahan loves to use these pocket sweeps and dumbo blocks to trap the defense into play-action and look how wide open the full back is.

Naked bootleg, the tight end releases freely uncovered and is able to earn a big gain.

Overall, Garoppolo just didn’t shred that defense, he hardly made any plays. He threw three interceptions, he took too many sacks in the red-zone, there was a goal-line situation where he didn’t sneak. This is the problem with Garoppolo, no game-changing throws, no big-time throws into clouded spaces. His hands are so small he can only really do one thing and that’s wrist snap the ball to receivers in motion. Other than that, bad decision maker, no anticipation, takes unnecessary sacks, low football IQ. Bottom line: he’s a one-read quarterback.

On the naked boot he botches a throw with bad timing, uncorks a floater and the ball is too slow to get there.

Same situation here, bootleg, but I don’t know what he’s doing. is it a keep or a live play? Why is he running all the way to the boundary with the ball? The X over the top is open. He seems to have trouble actually executing a play-action and a bootleg, normally you’re supposed to step back up between the hash marks and unleash. With his lollygagging he closed out all of his receivers’ windows.

He took like five sacks in this game, gets bogged down too easily, seems to have found a tendency to break-free to his left when the pocket gets noisy but U-turns his whole body completely instead of dropping a step in a half backwards. Circus gagging, footwork really needs some polishing.

This time same thing, it’s too easy to get to him, you just know by the way he positions his left leg it’s a throw. Safety blitz, that time he never saw him.

It’s hard to tell if he doesn’t feel the pressure or if he’s simply incapable of stepping up into the creases. That time the elephant end just rushes around the arc, plenty of space to throw inside the pocket. He got lucky on that TD.

Here come the blitzes! Here come the blitzes! Two picks against the blitz in that game, he was just awful at reading them. First one it’s from the right side, corner screaming, and he throws to his right! Second time tango blitz up the middle, the space is wide open but he checks to the left with a terrible release. He uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to a lot tipped balls. The thing is, his velocity is so low, these throws are hanging way too long in the air.

Cover 2 this time, which means the combo routes are going to be neutralized, the wing back is open on the quick hitch but Garoppolo doesn’t see him. He undershoots too many passes in double, sometimes triple coverage.

Deep accuracy an issue, this is a rub combo, Kittel runs the spot, he’s open but the two don’t connect, that pass sails way over his head.

Well, it’s a good thing they are playing the Lions this sunday because for $28MM this season the Patriots have Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Trent Brown. John Lynch is the type of general manager that will get Jay Cutler out of retirement.

Dang, all of this time I was mislead by a niners homer here that said he had NO fatal flaws.
    Hmmmm.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 am
  • Lol. There's absolutely no QB controversy in SF.

If JG stinks it up one could emerge but you could say that about ever QB who isn't a long entrenched starter and doesn't have guaranteed money left on their deal.

Maulbert wrote:Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.

Anyone who doesn't have any doubt is dumb or lying. I've seen it in a small sample size, but that's a huge, huge caveat on seeing it.

toffee wrote:Another interesting take on GQ, just passing on the info:

Leland Lundahl
    Answered Sep 14, 2018

Th first sentence is just a lie, and even makes up a quote that's in quotation marks and everything and simply isn't true. I stopped reading after that. Sorry man.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am
  • Dude plays 7 meaningless games and gets a massive contract. Hilarious
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Dude plays 7 meaningless games and gets a massive contract. Hilarious

I'd have been concerned if I was a 9er fan.

This year will decide if it was great foresight or simple panic.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am
  • No doubt, they took a huge chance on a lot of promise and very little proof that he deserved that much coin.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 am
  • Is it true that Jimmy Garrapopla has a thing for balloon-sized knockers?
    Slick
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 pm
  • Slick wrote:Is it true that Jimmy Garrapopla has a thing for balloon-sized knockers?

Aaaaaaand is there something wrong with that? Big balloon-sized knockers can be fun.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm
  • rlkats wrote:
    Slick wrote:Is it true that Jimmy Garrapopla has a thing for balloon-sized knockers?

Aaaaaaand is there something wrong with that? Big balloon-sized knockers can be fun.

Except when they start leaking and the Boob looks like a listing ship.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 22, 2019 5:15 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    rlkats wrote:
    Slick wrote:Is it true that Jimmy Garrapopla has a thing for balloon-sized knockers?

Except when they start leaking and the Boob looks like a listing ship.

Hahahaha yes sir yes sir.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 am
  • JG's massive contract is a controversy in itself.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am
  • rlkats wrote:I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess

Most teams? Doubtful.

He could probably start on some teams - however, the Niners have had some good offensive games with JG, Mullens, and Hoyer in the past few years (some bad too - but at least one good/great offensive game with each of them).

I give Shannahan the credit for that - and I'd be willing to bet with most coaches, Mullens is a below average QB.

No controversy IMO - this is the first time the Niners will have fielded a competent NFL roster in years, so the reins will definitely go to JG - and if it doesn't go well, which is definitely a possibility, they will move on from him next year IMO.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 11:00 am
  • Wouldn’t mind to have Mullens as backup to Russ.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 pm
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    rlkats wrote:I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

Most teams? Doubtful.

He could probably start on some teams - however, the Niners have had some good offensive games with JG, Mullens, and Hoyer in the past few years (some bad too - but at least one good/great offensive game with each of them).

I give Shannahan the credit for that - and I'd be willing to bet with most coaches, Mullens is a below average QB.

No controversy IMO - this is the first time the Niners will have fielded a competent NFL roster in years, so the reins will definitely go to JG - and if it doesn't go well, which is definitely a possibility, they will move on from him next year IMO.

I can agree that it is likely Kyle has a big part of Mullen’s success so to speak. Just like McVay has a large part on your QB’s success.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:Lol. There's absolutely no QB controversy in SF.

The media, when someone questions their ability to create narratives regardless of fact:

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Lol. There's absolutely no QB controversy in SF.

The media, when someone questions their ability to create narratives regardless of fact:

Kinda like how Wilson was gonna stonewall the Hawks and bolt for New York. :roll:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 pm
  • Jimmy G blowwwwwwwssss
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am

I just don't see it.

Gotta have faith.

And the reason being is that what someone has done more than a few times over and over can be considered a benchmark that you can go back to and say "yeah, he's done it".

There never was a 5 game streak in Alex Smith's career that could have yielded him a $30 million/year contract (not even 2017, but even so that playoff loss was the dagger). Smith is my "son" forever, but at best he has maybe 16 games in his total career that were franchise QB like that you'd never question........let alone being brand new to a team devoid of a lot of talent. The only thing JG has had over Smith in *San Francisco* was an elite playcaller, but don't think that matters a ton if you don't have the goods and are brand new to the team.

Why bring up Smith? One he was a long time 49ers starter who showed he was at least good enough to take you to the playoffs and had a vastly superior second half to first half of his career, perhaps in the history of the game. If he doesn't play another down he will retire with 94 wins, which isn't bad considering where he was 9 years ago.

As far as Kaepernick, leave it to the Seattle Seahawk fans to put all the necessary chinks in the armor for 49er fans from the 42-13 game onwards (if not before). While the rest of the NFL was drinking the kool aid in 2012 and 2013, Seahawk fans saw Kap at his absolute worst and went a little too far in projecting his negative traits as a s**** QB.

About the only great thing about Kap was on a loaded team he was a real stud. If you could create enough mismatches, he was a real problem. He was an economy version of Patrick Mahomes, but also with an economy offensive coordinator.....

Now getting back to Jimmy, I see a QB who has more poise, release talent, ability to throw receivers open far more than this franchise has seen since Steve Young was running the show. When the Niners were getting blown out by the Chiefs, I still believed very much he could mount a comeback. Haven't had that feeling in a very long time.

I talk about it all the time, but the eye test is so important for me in evaluating QBs. It cuts through the swath of stats, win/loss record, QB rating, etc.

Eye test, Jimmy is a baller. I'll take his Vikings tape 50 times over Smith's tape in a number of his wins.

As for injury history, he's somewhat snake bitten that he had gotten hurt during the Brady suspension and then had a fluke injury only 8 NFL starts later (2 years and a new team later mind you), that now the perception is the guy can't stay healthy. There's tape of Jimmy taking some big hits against the Bills (patriots as backup), Texans, Cowboys preseason that are just being ignored for the sake of pushing a narrative.

Who knows the truth? We'll find out. What could suck this year more than last year is all of this "perception cloud" that would have been non existent if he never got hurt. Maybe Jimmy will be overprotected by the playcalling and/or his own style of play.

For one I wouldn't mind it if it came to that. End of the day you either believe someone can play or not, and there's way more evidence that Jimmy G is going to be a very good QB versus anyone that could have been drafted since 2017 or available in free agency. Kirk Cousins with Saquon Barkley would make a nice little offense but not much hope in January.....

If Wilson was "fragile" you'd still take him over Jackson, Clipboard Jesus, no??
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 am
  • BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

2005 rookie, 2007 injured had surgery, 2008 missed the entire season.........2009 and 2010 benched in a few spots.

2013-2018 a lot better. Not many games missed.

I like subliminally that the anti-49er fanbase is implying that Jimmy's durability is the biggest question mark on him. Would you want him QBing the Niners or the indestructible Eli Manning right now?

Right.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:47 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    rlkats wrote:I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

Most teams? Doubtful.

Ramsfan more realistic than Seahawk fans on Jimmy G. The team makeup at HC/QB is a lot more similar, so maybe more respect and understanding.

For now. :irishdrinkers:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 am
  • chris98251 wrote:From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Only Mullens has that it factor? LMAO.

Jimmy had more IT factor alone in his first snaps as a 49er moving the ball down decisively against the Seahawk defense and throwing that TD.

The top highlights from the Titans and Jags game included plays that Mullens has still not yet shown to do. He's a decent QB, but not on the same level.

What we are seeing here is classic "he's not really that good but let's pump him up to talk s*** about who we really want to knock down", in this case Mullens. Or maybe it's a way to rationalize an undrafted QB beating the Seahawks when it's been 5 years since that happened by 1st/2nd round Niner QBs.

Let me tell you guys something.......Niner teammates say things publicly about Jimmy they'd never say about Alex and Kap. The type of praise that is a little too risky if you don't really buy into it......or would come off fake, like if Jalen Ramsey said Bortles was a great QB....

Frank Gore looked traitorous giving Andrew Luck over the top praise, but at the end of the day players always "know". Gore is the all time consummate Niner of this millenium, would go to war for his ex Niner QBs still I'm sure, but never saw fit to praise them publicly the way he did Luck or the way George Kittle and Mike McGlinchey recently praise Jimmy G.

It's ok, ignore everything. Wilson is the only good QB in the division...... :roll:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 am
  • :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So GLAD we have Russell Wilson, and have him for at least 5 years.

Sorry (not sorry) SF, but your suffering continues.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Jimmy had more IT factor alone in his first snaps as a 49er moving the ball down decisively against the Seahawk defense and throwing that TD.

The top highlights from the Titans and Jags game included plays that Mullens has still not yet shown to do. He's a decent QB, but not on the same level.

What we are seeing here is classic "he's not really that good but let's pump him up to talk s*** about who we really want to knock down", in this case Mullens. Or maybe it's a way to rationalize an undrafted QB beating the Seahawks when it's been 5 years since that happened by 1st/2nd round Niner QBs.

Let me tell you guys something.......Niner teammates say things publicly about Jimmy they'd never say about Alex and Kap. The type of praise that is a little too risky if you don't really buy into it......or would come off fake, like if Jalen Ramsey said Bortles was a great QB....

Frank Gore looked traitorous giving Andrew Luck over the top praise, but at the end of the day players always "know". Gore is the all time consummate Niner of this millenium, would go to war for his ex Niner QBs still I'm sure, but never saw fit to praise them publicly the way he did Luck or the way George Kittle and Mike McGlinchey recently praise Jimmy G.

It's ok, ignore everything. Wilson is the only good QB in the division...... :roll:

Grab a Ho is Matt Cassel 2.0, will be forgotten soon enough and paid for a lot longer.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:22 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Grab a Ho is Matt Cassel 2.0, will be forgotten soon enough and paid for a lot longer.

GQ is the crowning achievement of 9ers GM Lynch, if GQ lost his starting to Mullens, out goes Lynch.

May be the 9ers can trade GQ now when the stock still high, may get a first round pick?

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm
  • Um......no.

There is no controversy. Jimmy G is the QB.

Mullins in in a competition for the #2 QB role.

People need to just stop. I was pleasantly surprised by Mullins, but please. Its not close. Don't quote their stats to me.

That's a guy who came in at mid-season in a trade and started games without even knowing the offense vs a guy who had spend 1.5 years in the offense before his first start.

I also noted that the win-loss record wasn't quoted.

I wish the media would stop creating controversy where there isn't any. Jimmy is the QB. Period.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information