49ers release Malcolm Smith

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1ugweq7v said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27478034/49ers-release-ex-super-bowl-mvp-malcolm-smith

Not reay newsworthy since he hardly played, but I think it’s a good indicator of Greenlaw’s development.
He had a real nice run of 7 or 8 games up and through XLVIII, after that he has been JAG.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Huge missed opportunity cost when signing him, which practically everyone already knew in advance when it first happened.

I don't think him getting cut is about Greenlaw.

It's about Smith getting injured yet again after playing all of five plays last week.

The 9ers are out of the gobs of cap room they've had up until now, so they're both doing what they can to get the carryover they can get, and clearing the roster of an overpaid guy who just simply can't be relied upon.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":f4ishui7 said:
5_Golden_Rings":f4ishui7 said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27478034/49ers-release-ex-super-bowl-mvp-malcolm-smith

Not reay newsworthy since he hardly played, but I think it’s a good indicator of Greenlaw’s development.
He had a real nice run of 7 or 8 games up and through XLVIII, after that he has been JAG.

Made a nice chunk of change too after that run from the Raiders/Niners.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nvsbrcr said:
Huge missed opportunity cost when signing him, which practically everyone already knew in advance when it first happened.

It's about Smith getting injured yet again after playing all of five plays last week.

The 9ers are out of the gobs of cap room they've had up until now, so they're both doing what they can to get the carryover they can get, and clearing the roster of an overpaid guy who just simply can't be relied upon.

This, but I do think Greenlaw takes that spot.

Looks like McKinnon may be done too. Poor guy. Not sure what his cap number is this year, but I always thought he was signed to be Tevin Coleman. Trouble is, not only can he not get health, but the Niners now have the REAL Tevin Coleman.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gvo0ieh said:
Popeyejones":3gvo0ieh said:

This, but I do think Greenlaw takes that spot.

Looks like McKinnon may be done too. Poor guy. Not sure what his cap number is this year, but I always thought he was signed to be Tevin Coleman. Trouble is, not only can he not get health, but the Niners now have the REAL Tevin Coleman.

Yeah, I think Greenlaw gets the spot too.

My guess is McKinnon goes on 8 week IR, but is likely cut after this season (which would clear up nearly 5 million on the cap).

And ABSOLUTELY agreed he was signed because he was the version of Tevin Coleman that was available, whereas for the year and next year they've stumbled into the real Tevin Coleman. That plus Breida playing MUCH better than I have to imagine they thought he would when they signed McKinnon means his days are almost definitely numbered.

Jville

Reaction score
I think everyone could see it coming. Malcolm Smith's release was a cap move. His contract was effectively a 2 year deal with unused third and fourth year options. Cap charges remaining on the books consist of $4,200,000 in 2019 and $2,800,000 in 2020. It's cap management.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":1o3j8ag6 said:
I think everyone could see it coming. Malcolm Smith's release was a cap move. His contract was effectively a 2 year deal with unused third and fourth year options. Cap charges remaining on the books consist of $4,200,000 in 2019 and $2,800,000 in 2020. It's cap management.

Plus his position is only on the field like 30% of the time. It helps that Greenlaw has looked good in camp.