Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Legend of Gardner Minshew.

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The Legend of Gardner Minshew.
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Re: The Legend of Gardner Minshew.
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:50 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:3 weeks and 2 starts into his NFL career, and he's already achieved folk hero status:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-legend-of-gardner-minshew-165526587.html

I hope this kid has a long career ahead of him, and not just because he's a Coug. He just has 'IT'.

Big fan, he's cool for a coug.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:41 pm
  • My brother is a usc fan and doesnt like wsu. He loved gardner. Gardner has all the charisma in the world. If he does well, he will be one of the most popular players.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:47 am
  • 6th Round Pick...the new Tom Brady or Matthew Hasselbeck?

He's certainly no Mike Teel.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 am
  • Thank the lord he is no Ryan Leaf.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 am
  • He is almost the football version of Will Ferrell's character, Ricky Bobby.

That last story of him trying to smash his hand with a hammer while taking pulls of whiskey is almost a different version of Will stabbing himself with a knife in the wheelchair.

But that said, you don't rack up the #s he had in college if you don't know the game. His football IQ is clearly there and he is a guy that performs well under pressure. He might not have the physical tools but he gets the ball where it needs to be, he finds the open guy, and he does not get flustered.

His last game before last night, people forget he had 3 fumbles because he was constantly getting sacked. But he almost won that game, but for his coach taking the opportunity out of his hands. It shows he does not let pressure get to him.

Honestly, anything connected to Mike Leach is awesome. But the whole story is amazing.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am
  • Kid knows this is a showcase chance, if he wins and does well there is a lot of opportunity for him and money on the table.

Pretty much said so in his interview, you get a chance and you have to take advantage of it, that's what I am going to do, it's a paraphrase but the jist of what he said.

He has that aura of a Russell Wilson and Joe Montana about him, not a physically dominating presence but the team rally's around him and plays hard for him and he wins.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am
  • Minshew is not the hero we asked for, but he's the hero we need.

Go Cougs.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:34 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    He has that aura of a Russell Wilson and Joe Montana about him, not a physically dominating presence but the team rally's around him and plays hard for him and he wins.

I like the Joe Montana comparison. Not that big, average arm, but unflappable, anticipates well and is very accurate.

I remember Bill Walsh saying "Joe had the best feet I'd ever seen." At the time, i had no idea what he meant, and i still know very little, but i do understand the importance of footwork where velocity and accuracy are concerned.

I don't know if Gardner has "good feet," but with his competitiveness, and love for the game, I'll bet he has GREAT FEET!

I'm rooting for the guy, and would love to hang out with him! Can you imagine the women draping off of his arms! :drool:
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 pm
  • I think the fact that Nick Saban thought he'd make a good coach says everything you need to know about his mentality. He also scored 42 on his wonderlic. He has the brain you covet in a QB. Not a lot of guys have it. Even great ones.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:50 pm
  • ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:26 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:He is almost the football version of Will Ferrell's character, Ricky Bobby.

That last story of him trying to smash his hand with a hammer while taking pulls of whiskey is almost a different version of Will stabbing himself with a knife in the wheelchair.

But that said, you don't rack up the #s he had in college if you don't know the game. His football IQ is clearly there and he is a guy that performs well under pressure. He might not have the physical tools but he gets the ball where it needs to be, he finds the open guy, and he does not get flustered.

His last game before last night, people forget he had 3 fumbles because he was constantly getting sacked. But he almost won that game, but for his coach taking the opportunity out of his hands. It shows he does not let pressure get to him.

Honestly, anything connected to Mike Leach is awesome. But the whole story is amazing.

Nailed the Ricky Bobby comparison.
    All he needs is a live cougar in the car for some race car driving practice.
    And maybe get thrown out of an Applebee's so he can go home and sleep on his $10 mattress.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:40 pm
  • Check out his twitter picture.

He is probably cultivating the image a bit, but that was a brilliant move on his part.

Still, he can play much better than most of the backup QBs the Jags could have been stuck with.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Check out his twitter picture.

He is probably cultivating the image a bit, but that was a brilliant move on his part.

Still, he can play much better than most of the backup QBs the Jags could have been stuck with.

He embraced an image, but that only gets you so far. He's playing really well. That's why people love him.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:41 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Check out his twitter picture.

He embraced an image, but that only gets you so far. He's playing really well. That's why people love him.

Yep, like Boz, Jim McMahon, Deion Sanders -- and I'd even include Sherman in this -- he's part of a long line of players that are smartly leaning into an image that maybe *kind of fits who they actually are* but also levels them up in terms of general interest and media attention.

Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:27 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:He is almost the football version of Will Ferrell's character, Ricky Bobby.

Yeah, I listened to Mike Leach tell the Hammer story on the Rich Eisen show a couple days ago.

Minshew got a 42 on the Wonderlic and I think it shows in his game.

He may Develop into being very good.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 am
  • He was at the WSU game Saturday. A friend got a pic with him in the suite they were in. No pic available. LOL
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:08 pm
  • Down 17-3 on the road, he leads them to 20 straight points, and then leads a game winning drive to beat Denver 26-24.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:31 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Down 17-3 on the road, he leads them to 20 straight points, and then leads a game winning drive to beat Denver 26-24.

And most of that game winning drive was on a knee that was at least sprained (pending injury reports)
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I like the Joe Montana comparison. Not that big, average arm, but unflappable, anticipates well and is very accurate.

I remember Bill Walsh saying "Joe had the best feet I'd ever seen." At the time, i had no idea what he meant, and i still know very little, but i do understand the importance of footwork where velocity and accuracy are concerned.

I don't know if Gardner has "good feet," but with his competitiveness, and love for the game, I'll bet he has GREAT FEET!

I'm rooting for the guy, and would love to hang out with him! Can you imagine the women draping off of his arms! :drool:

Don't try to pass off Montana as being inferior arm wise to Wilson.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 pm
  • Minshew is a decent QB. We'll see how good he really is soon....
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:51 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Or what? You going to stomp your feet, get all red faced and troll more than you already do?

Don’t like the content here you are free to leave.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

No comparison was made between their arms, you just assumed it was there. Honestly, though, Montana didn't have a great arm. Neither does Tom Brady. It doesn't really matter though, because both were/are winners. Quit getting your panties in a twist.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

It was, was one of the knocks on him coming out, Walsh just adapted to it and counted on his leadership, winning attitude and ability to make those around him play at a higher level.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:58 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

It was, was one of the knocks on him coming out, Walsh just adapted to it and counted on his leadership, winning attitude and ability to make those around him play at a higher level.

That arm had incredible touch throwing the ball at all levels.

Marino had a faster release, Elway had a stronger arm, but neither could thread the needle with the same finesse. He was as good or better a deep ball thrower than those two.

And he was doing it before Rice and Taylor arrived, and after he left SF.

So if his arm wasn't as strong as Cunningham, whatever.

Wasn't going to be GOAT caliber with just an average arm. Same goes for Brady too.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:59 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

No comparison was made between their arms, you just assumed it was there. Honestly, though, Montana didn't have a great arm. Neither does Tom Brady. It doesn't really matter though, because both were/are winners. Quit getting your panties in a twist.

Wrong.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

That arm had incredible touch throwing the ball at all levels.

Marino had a faster release, Elway had a stronger arm, but neither could thread the needle with the same finesse. He was as good or better a deep ball thrower than those two.

And he was doing it before Rice and Taylor arrived, and after he left SF.

So if his arm wasn't as strong as Cunningham, whatever.

Wasn't going to be GOAT caliber with just an average arm. Same goes for Brady too.

Well take your Homer 5 rings glasses off and the rest of the world knows different, but whatever go back and read your 35 year old press clippings, gave him credit for what he was good at, Young had a better arm the Montana.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:05 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Wrong.

So, I'm wrong that Montana was a winner? 8)
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 pm
  • BTW, NINEster, might I suggest, instead of getting offended, appreciate the way Minshew is playing. He's just damn fun to watch.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:29 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Wrong.

Guy probably never even seen him play, Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles that can't be measured, the one comparison that they both have that is dead on, Walsh said doesn't have any great measurements except one, he wins, same thing Pete said about Wilson, except Wilson had his arm strength which is very good.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:31 pm
  • Hope Minshew is ok, this is a guy that makes the NFL watchable in many ways, he is going to get paid by someone if he can keep this up.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:03 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Wrong.

Guy probably never even seen him play, Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles that can't be measured, the one comparison that they both have that is dead on, Walsh said doesn't have any great measurements except one, he wins, same thing Pete said about Wilson, except Wilson had his arm strength which is very good.

So in a round about way you are calling him an “0-1’er”? If so you are probably correct.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 am

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:25 pm
  • A prime Montana?Nobody compares to him..He had an arm to
    throw whatever he needed but no he wasn't a gunslinger all
    the time.As Chris said"Joe Montana was the prototype for intangibles
    that cannot be measured".He saw things nobody else could..The
    will to win and super smart among other things..The rules of his
    era blasted his body pretty hard..
    I'd love to see what he would have done under todays (wow)
    I can see why NINEster might get irritated.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:19 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:A prime Montana?Nobody compares to him..He had an arm to

Brady compares. You just described him when describing Montana. Unitus compares from a very now bygone era as well. But yeah, Joe is #2 to Brady on my list and the argument for him to be #1 is worthy.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:A prime Montana?Nobody compares to him..He had an arm to

Brady compares. You just described him when describing Montana. Unitus compares from a very now bygone era as well. But yeah, Joe is #2 to Brady on my list and the argument for him to be #1 is worthy.

And Brady has NEVER had a good arm. That's not really a knock when you win consistently, which I guarantee Bill Walsh valued over being able to sling it 80 yards. Also, when people say good arm, they're usually speaking about power, not accuracy, and NO ONE has ever questioned Montana's accuracy.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:54 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

I never saw Johnny Unitas but my dad loved him so he had
    to be great..In my opinion Brady does not compare with Joe
    besides all those SB's.
    Both are very good though ..I put Joe@#1
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:21 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

I never saw Johnny Unitas but my dad loved him so he had
    to be great..In my opinion Brady does not compare with Joe
    besides all those SB's.
    Both are very good though ..I put Joe@#1

Unitas was a warrior with guts that lead his team and they would follow him through a wall of fire, he had that Farve ability to make plays and go against what Coaches wanted many times, also remember they called a lot of their own plays then or most of them. He was not a specimen of physicality either.

the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL drafted Unitas in the ninth round.

Steelers' head coach Walt Kiesling had made up his mind about Unitas; he thought he was not smart enough to quarterback an NFL team,and he was not given any snaps in practice with the Steelers. Among those edging out Unitas was Ted Marchibroda, future longtime NFL head coach. Out of pro football, Unitas—by this time married—worked in construction in Pittsburgh to support his family.[8] On the weekends, he played quarterback, safety and punter on a local semi-professional team called the Bloomfield Rams for $6 a game.

In 1956, Unitas joined the Baltimore Colts of the NFL under legendary coach Weeb Ewbank, after being asked at the last minute to join Bloomfield Rams lineman Jim Deglau, a Croatian steel worker with a life much like Unitas, at the latter's scheduled Colts tryout. The pair borrowed money from friends to pay for the gas to make the trip. Deglau later told a reporter after Unitas's death, "[His] uncle told him not to come. [He] was worried that if he came down and the Colts passed on him, it would look bad (to other NFL teams)."[10] The Colts signed Unitas, much to the chagrin of the Cleveland Browns, who had hoped to claim the former Steeler quarterback.

The rest is history really.

He was a leader and fiery player and had an iron man mentality and played hurt a lot. But as you look above had to love the game. I grabbed that off Wiki because I could not remember the details, but I did watch him play quite a bit when I was younger.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 pm
  • Legend has it, Minshew can throw a football over a mountain...
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:26 am
  • What puts Minshew a step beyond many young QBs is accuracy.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:What puts Minshew a step beyond many young QBs is accuracy.

IMO, it's his poise. He doesn't act like a rookie that lets things get in his head. He's got plenty of swagger, as the hipsters would say.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:35 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Minshew is not the hero we asked for, but he's the hero we need.

Go Cougs.

LMAO. That is awesome. Glad the rest of the country gets to experience this guy. Had a lot of fun last year watching the cougs and this dude made it happen. Hope he's in the league for many years.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:47 pm
  • What's with all the fumbles? Does he have Dave Krieg hands?
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:What's with all the fumbles? Does he have Dave Krieg hands?

As a Jaguar fan I can answer this. Our free agent acquisition last year Andrew Norwell was literally driven into Minshew as he was throwing the ball and the ball came out. That's not on him. The fumble to Fournette was a rookie mistake as he didn't realize the FB/TE was behind him on the play and the exchanged was fumbled. The last one was him trying to make a play and buying time when the ball was ultimately stripped. He was trying to do too much because our defense was struggling.

Minshew is still a rookie and will have growing pains. Despite it all he is a winner. The guy has been down like 2 touchdowns the past 2 weeks and either won the game against Denver and put us in position to win at the last second against Carolina. Ultimately, our defense couldn't stop McCaffery who ran wild on us. The defense couldn't get off blocks. They gave up a long TD to their back up running back also. Minshew did everything to carry the team on his back. As a 6th round rookie that is a lot to ask for but he did it. As someone who has witnessed garbage QB's for the Jags for years I can tell you that Minshew is the real deal.
    Gusbusser
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 am
  • Gusbusser wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:What's with all the fumbles? Does he have Dave Krieg hands?

As a Jaguar fan I can answer this. Our free agent acquisition last year Andrew Norwell was literally driven into Minshew as he was throwing the ball and the ball came out. That's not on him. The fumble to Fournette was a rookie mistake as he didn't realize the FB/TE was behind him on the play and the exchanged was fumbled. The last one was him trying to make a play and buying time when the ball was ultimately stripped. He was trying to do too much because our defense was struggling.

Minshew is still a rookie and will have growing pains. Despite it all he is a winner. The guy has been down like 2 touchdowns the past 2 weeks and either won the game against Denver and put us in position to win at the last second against Carolina. Ultimately, our defense couldn't stop McCaffery who ran wild on us. The defense couldn't get off blocks. They gave up a long TD to their back up running back also. Minshew did everything to carry the team on his back. As a 6th round rookie that is a lot to ask for but he did it. As someone who has witnessed garbage QB's for the Jags for years I can tell you that Minshew is the real deal.

Thanks for the Jags fan perspective. As someone who grew up in eastern Washington and is a Cougars fan it's great seeing Minshew doing so well. He does look like the real deal though it still is early for sure. The league will adjust to him as it always does and hopefully he'll be able to handle that and thrive. The one thing that's very evident about him is that no moment is too big and he's always within himself. I think you guys got a good one. I'm hoping so anyway.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35 pm
  • I love this guy. :lol:

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 pm
  • Minshew is the REAL DEAL. The Jags made the wise choice and unloaded Nick Foles to make way for Minshew. I was thinking who is the best comp for Minshew, and a flash came to me... he's a lot like a slightly taller Drew Brees. The love child of Drew Brees and Snake Stabler.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information