Who’s in the MVP race besides Wilson, McCaffrey, & Mahomes?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
You all know about Wilson (I would hope you do; he’s having an elite year in terms of efficiency, leading the league in TD passes and threatening the completion percentage record). For you Seahawk fans, your homerism will make you forget that Mahomes has thrown a league leading 1838 yards on a league leading 9.4 ypa, 11 TDs and no INTs. And McCaffrey is on pace to obliterate the yards from scrimmage record and he already has 7 total touchdowns (this one surprised me; he’s legitimately having an MVP year, if Carolina starts winning some more games, that is - certainly an OPTY season).

It seems clear to me that Wilson, McCaffery and Mahomes are leading the MVP race.

But who else is making a case? I won’t bring up defensive players because we all know MVP is an offensive award.

knownone

Reaction score
Shaquil Barrett is on pace for 29 sacks. He won't maintain that pace, but he deserves to me in the conversations at this juncture.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
knownone":i0yyv7hd said:
Shaquil Barrett is on pace for 29 sacks. He won't maintain that pace, but he deserves to me in the conversations at this juncture.
I was gonna mention him, but I can't recall the last time a defensive player won the MVP. (goes to look)... Lawrence Taylor, 1986... 4 years after a place kicker.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1kommz5o said:
You all know about Wilson (I would hope you do; he’s having an elite year in terms of efficiency, leading the league in TD passes and threatening the completion percentage record). For you Seahawk fans, your homerism will make you forget that Mahomes has thrown a league leading 1838 yards on a league leading 9.4 ypa, 11 TDs and no INTs. And McCaffrey is on pace to obliterate the yards from scrimmage record and he already has 7 total touchdowns (this one surprised me; he’s legitimately having an MVP year, if Carolina starts winning some more games, that is - certainly an OPTY season).

It seems clear to me that Wilson, McCaffery and Mahomes are leading the MVP race.

But who else is making a case? I won’t bring up defensive players because we all know MVP is an offensive award.
I hate accumulation-based stats. It's not just because Wilson doesn't throw a lot in our offense and I'm trying to make excuses - I've always hated them. A Toyota Corolla will go farther on a tank of gas than a Porsche 911 Turbo, but which one would YOU rather have? (I'm not saying Mahomes is the Corolla - I'm saying yardage accumulation is.)

Sustained completion percentage, average air yards per pass, and a low interception percentage are significantly sexier and more important than total yardage.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":31vwlshz said:
5_Golden_Rings":31vwlshz said:

I hate accumulation-based stats. It's not just because Wilson doesn't throw a lot in our offense and I'm trying to make excuses - I've always hated them. A Toyota Corolla will go farther on a tank of gas than a Porsche 911 Turbo, but which one would YOU rather have? (I'm not saying Mahomes is the Corolla - I'm saying yardage accumulation is.)

Sustained completion percentage, average air yards per pass, and a low interception percentage are significantly sexier and more important than total yardage.
Yards per attempt, though... Mahomes is 9.4. Talk about accumulation all you want, but Mahomes is gaining more yards per pass than anyone else in the league as well.

EDIT- do note I listed both qbs as MVP candidates...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1brktyen said:
Yards per attempt, though... Mahomes is 9.4. Talk about accumulation all you want, but Mahomes is gaining more yards per pass than anyone else in the league as well.
Russell's at 9.0, not far behind on that one. Look at that completion percentage, though. 73.1% for Wilson, 65.6% for Mahomes; that's a HUGE difference. Certainly a far bigger one than 9.0/9.4 on yards per pass. Wilson's also been sacked 13 times, compared to 7 for Mahomes.

Serious question for you. Don't you think Wilson would have better stats if he was in KC's offense, with their protection, scheming, and offensive play calling? What things does Mahomes do better than Wilson?

All due credit to Mahomes, but their offensive scheming, play calling, and personnel are all very good. Scheming and play calling are certainly better than ours.

Man...just one year in Russell's career, I'd love to see us have a pass-happy, intelligently schemed and run offense.

Smellyman

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2aard7bo said:

What? Who knew? thanks for the info

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zk17frb said:
5_Golden_Rings":1zk17frb said:
Russell's at 9.0, not far behind on that one. Look at that completion percentage, though. 73.1% for Wilson, 65.6% for Mahomes; that's a HUGE difference. Certainly a far bigger one than 9.0/9.4 on yards per pass. Wilson's also been sacked 13 times, compared to 7 for Mahomes.

Serious question for you. Don't you think Wilson would have better stats if he was in KC's offense, with their protection, scheming, and offensive play calling? What things does Mahomes do better than Wilson?

All due credit to Mahomes, but their offensive scheming, play calling, and personnel are all very good. Scheming and play calling are certainly better than ours.

Man...just one year in Russell's career, I'd love to see us have a pass-happy, intelligently schemed and run offense.
I think Wilson's sacks are sometimes because Wilson chooses to take a sack rather than make a risky throw.

As for the scheme, have you see the Chief's running game? It's hot garbage (25th in yards, 25th in attempts). The Seahawks by contrast are 12th in yards and 4th in attempts.. Mahomes is having to do more by himself in that respect, because defenses have less to worry about in terms of both the running game and the play-action game.

That said, Wilson is clearly having a career year, so I don't know. But it's a lot easier to have a high yards per attempt when the defense has to respect the running game. On the other hand, it's easier to have more yards when you have to throw so much because your offense can't run the ball, so Mahomes does get the added help there, by being forced to throw more.

But all I know is this: Mahomes is in his third year and already has an MVP and 50 TD season. He's going to surpass everyone. As for this year, it's probably too early to say, but Wilson is definitely having a career season, no doubt. He's probably deserving of being the MVP front runner so far, but Mahomes is right behind him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Reid is the master of the screen game too. WR, RB, TE screens all over the place which they get huge chunk yardage off of.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":3fso5nwi said:
:sarcasm_on: I've heard from respected sources Dak Prescott will be the MVP. :sarcasm_off:
< insert canned laughter sound effect here >

NINEster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":6ive6t5r said:
5_Golden_Rings":6ive6t5r said:

This is where we disagree.

Wilson's ability to perform very well without the best supporting cast is clouding the judgment of him performing at truly historic levels on teams with theoretically better skill position players and play callers.

His floor has been very high, but his ceiling will be limited because he doesn't play within the system. Without playing in the system, you lose the big advantage of Andy Reid and talented skill position players. Wilson never was a true precision anticipation/timing passer like the elite class has been. He makes his money on the deep ball and getting out of the pocket.

Some things he could do better than Mahomes (or Rodgers or Brady) but the net effect won't be good enough when the rest of his game isn't as good as those guys.

If the Seahawks had Shanahan, Wilson would be better mostly because the running game would be better, which in effect would allow him to throw the ball downfield like it was 2013.