Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seahawks at Niners 11/11...

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Seahawks at Niners 11/11...
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:39 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:LOL. After all the $h!t you talked, You lost.

Jimmy Crappallo should have been picked 4 more times if our linebackers and DB’s can learn to catch, and the refs don’t throw a BS phantom DPI penalty.

Crappallo is a human turnover machine when pressured.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Crappallo is The Kraepper 2.0.
    His fatal flaws were on full display tonight.

Soooo...…..

I kinda feel like Ezekiel is pretty lame for not eating crow....

….but come on dude. Forget the LBs/DBs, the score would have been much different if GAROPPOLOS OWN WRs could catch (I think I counted EIGHT drops), or if the rookie kicker didn't completely shank the ball, or if the tackles don't play worse than their 4th and 5th string counterparts or if the center doesn't get hurt which led to Seattles first TD or a host of other things, its a different story.

I'm not discounting the stuff that went against Seattle, and there were plenty, but the response to someone being ridiculous shouldn't be being more ridiculous.

Fact of the matter is only ONE QB threw an INT in overtime. and the Niner LB didn't drop it.

Bottom line, Niners lost. Seahawks won. I'll think it was agreat game when I'm more separated from it, but no need to attack the players.

Gratz on the win. Yer boys earned it.

At least I came in and congratulated their team. Just like I said I would. I didn't disappear.

I was not impressed with Seattle, esp the offense, nor was I impressed with our numerous WR drops without Kittle or Sanders.

We will see who comes out on top in this division. That being said, we made too many self-imposed mistakes on O and took the L as a result. Congratulations to the Seahawks for taking advantage of the errors and getting touchdowns instead of FGs after each one, albeit on very short fields. That's to your credit for punching it in each time.

I talked smack so I'm here to say congrats, regardless of what my impression is of your team and the win.

Obv bummed to lose a game like that, but very excited to see how this season finishes out.

Yeah bro, but you are just trolling when you say "you aren't better than us" after a win like that.

No need. Just say "gratz". If you say you guys aren't better, just makes you look bad.

Well they aren't. Regardless of how that makes me look. Do you think after watching that they are actually better than us? Bet in your mind you don't think so but aren't willing to actually say it since they got the W tonight.

But they won and that's what matters on this night. They should enjoy the victory and rub it in if they so choose, and certainly to me as I was very arrogant coming into this game, and rightfully so. After these after game exchanges are complete, they have shut me up for a while as the division is wide open now as well as home field throughout the playoffs, and both of our schedules are very challenging the rest of the way. All good. Good luck the rest of the way. May the best team win the division.
    Ezekiel38
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 pm
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Soooo...…..

I kinda feel like Ezekiel is pretty lame for not eating crow....

….but come on dude. Forget the LBs/DBs, the score would have been much different if GAROPPOLOS OWN WRs could catch (I think I counted EIGHT drops), or if the rookie kicker didn't completely shank the ball, or if the tackles don't play worse than their 4th and 5th string counterparts or if the center doesn't get hurt which led to Seattles first TD or a host of other things, its a different story.

I'm not discounting the stuff that went against Seattle, and there were plenty, but the response to someone being ridiculous shouldn't be being more ridiculous.

Fact of the matter is only ONE QB threw an INT in overtime. and the Niner LB didn't drop it.

Bottom line, Niners lost. Seahawks won. I'll think it was agreat game when I'm more separated from it, but no need to attack the players.

Gratz on the win. Yer boys earned it.

At least I came in and congratulated their team. Just like I said I would. I didn't disappear.

I was not impressed with Seattle, esp the offense, nor was I impressed with our numerous WR drops without Kittle or Sanders.

We will see who comes out on top in this division. That being said, we made too many self-imposed mistakes on O and took the L as a result. Congratulations to the Seahawks for taking advantage of the errors and getting touchdowns instead of FGs after each one, albeit on very short fields. That's to your credit for punching it in each time.

I talked smack so I'm here to say congrats, regardless of what my impression is of your team and the win.

Obv bummed to lose a game like that, but very excited to see how this season finishes out.

Yeah bro, but you are just trolling when you say "you aren't better than us" after a win like that.

No need. Just say "gratz". If you say you guys aren't better, just makes you look bad.

Well they aren't. Regardless of how that makes me look. Do you think after watching that they are actually better than us? Bet in your mind you don't think so but aren't willing to actually say it since they got the W tonight.

But they won and that's what matters on this night. They should enjoy the victory and rub it in if they so choose, and certainly to me as I was very arrogant coming into this game, and rightfully so. After these after game exchanges are complete, they have shut me up for a while as the division is wide open now as well as home field throughout the playoffs, and both of our schedules are very challenging the rest of the way. All good. Good luck the rest of the way. May the best team win the division.

1) I honestly don't know what I think. Too much to unpack right now.

2) It doesn't matter. If you are gonna go to a site and say gratz to the fanbase for the win, saying "but we are still better" isn't gracious. Our team lost. You don't need a caveat. We lost.

Look, I ain't tryin to get up on a soapbox or something. Do what yer donna do....just sayin...its a bad look. You are better off saying nothing than saying what you did.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:One team makes errors, the other makes plays.

Couple 9ers fans not understanding their own hypocrisy.

The errors were the plethora of wide receiver drops, one for almost a pick six and the others in critical high-leverage situations. Obv we are not as good without Kittle and Sanders, although I wish that were not the case and that our 5th and 6th string wide outs can make plays without also making critical errors not caused at all by the opponent's defense.

The JimmyG fumbles were errors caused by great plays from your Dline, and I credit your team for making those plays. The 14 points off those turnovers were well deserved, as your O was also able to capitalize and get TDs off those turnovers, which is not easy to do against our D, even with a short field.

The Bourne drop and INT was the turning point of the game. Devastating mistake. Our guys need to be better. We saw how important Kittle and Sanders are to our offense. Without them we will have to pull out close games and play mistake free to win against better teams. We weren't able to do that tonight.

Congrats again on the win. Enjoy it.
    Ezekiel38
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:

1) I honestly don't know what I think. Too much to unpack right now.

2) It doesn't matter. If you are gonna go to a site and say gratz to the fanbase for the win, saying "but we are still better" isn't gracious. Our team lost. You don't need a caveat. We lost.

Well Marvin, I hope you provide your thoughts after rewatching the game to the webzone. I'm interested in your take after the emotions die down and can watch again with an objective eye.

You are right on 2). We lost. However it happened, we lost. Agreed. And Seattle deserves a lot of credit for coming on the road and getting the W against a 49ers team that I still think will get the #1 seed when it's all said and done.
    Ezekiel38
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 pm
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:One team makes errors, the other makes plays.

The errors were the plethora of wide receiver drops, one for almost a pick six and the others in critical high-leverage situations. Obv we are not as good without Kittle and Sanders, although I wish that were not the case and that our 5th and 6th string wide outs can make plays without also making critical errors not caused at all by the opponent's defense.

The JimmyG fumbles were errors caused by great plays from your Dline, and I credit your team for making those plays. The 14 points off those turnovers were well deserved, as your O was also able to capitalize and get TDs off those turnovers, which is not easy to do against our D, even with a short field.

The Bourne drop and INT was the turning point of the game. Devastating mistake. Our guys need to be better. We saw how important Kittle and Sanders are to our offense. Without them we will have to pull out close games and play mistake free to win against better teams. We weren't able to do that tonight.

Bourne drop/INT was HUGE, but I think it started before that. When Richburg got hurt it put Ben Garland in the game. He got beaten like a drum and that caused the Reed sack/fumble.

I hate it when games come down to injuries. Seahawks didn't have Lockette down the stretch either.

Still really hard not to look at ALL of those drops and think what might have been.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:05 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:

Bourne drop/INT was HUGE, but I think it started before that. When Richburg got hurt it put Ben Garland in the game. He got beaten like a drum and that caused the Reed sack/fumble.

I hate it when games come down to injuries. Seahawks didn't have Lockette down the stretch either.

Still really hard not to look at ALL of those drops and think what might have been.

Agreed. The drops were devastating, esp the two by Bourne. The almost pick six and then the one on 3rd down which was perfectly thrown by Jimmy for a 1st and goal when we were down 21-18. Good chance to go in and score and make it 25-21 if he catches that easy ball and make RW score a TD to win and where a FG does nothing for them.

What might have been indeed. I like Bourne but those drops cost us the game. Good point on Richburg coming out before the sack/fumble. Oh well...on to the next one. The silver lining is I have not lost any confidence in this team with a healthy Kittle and Sanders to get the #1 seed. Cannot see Seattle winning more than two of their next four. Maybe they will surprise like they did tonight.
    Ezekiel38
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 am
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:

Agreed. The drops were devastating, esp the two by Bourne. The almost pick six and then the one on 3rd down which was perfectly thrown by Jimmy for a 1st and goal when we were down 21-18. Good chance to go in and score and make it 25-21 if he catches that easy ball and make RW score a TD to win and where a FG does nothing for them.

What might have been indeed. I like Bourne but those drops cost us the game. Good point on Richburg coming out before the sack/fumble. Oh well...on to the next one. The silver lining is I have not lost any confidence in this team with a healthy Kittle and Sanders to get the #1 seed. Cannot see Seattle winning more than two of their next four. Maybe they will surprise like they did tonight.

Oh, I have concerns...

Nither tackle played well. THEY looked like the 4th and 5th string guys. Kittle and Sanders both hurt.

Bourne and Pettis have always made this mistakes. Can't have that. Samuel is getting better, but still rookie mistakes.

What kills me is what the talking heads will say now RE Garoppolo...and then completely leave out all of the drops or how all of those drives would have extended.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:

Oh, I have concerns...

Nither tackle played well. THEY looked like the 4th and 5th string guys. Kittle and Sanders both hurt.

Bourne and Pettis have always made this mistakes. Can't have that. Samuel is getting better, but still rookie mistakes.

What kills me is what the talking heads will say now RE Garoppolo...and then completely leave out all of the drops or how all of those drives would have extended.

The talking heads...sigh. And JG played very well this game in my opinion and did what was needed to lead the team to a victory. And did it more than once. That is a reason I still have much belief in how far this team can go this season; I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through. Bourne and others did not. I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more. Kinda like Brady against KC last year when he lost the game on his pick and bailed out by Dee Ford's neutral zone penalty and he gets another chance. And then goes on and wins another SB and more accolades from the media. Disgusting.

And yes the starting tackles looked worse than the rookies who replaced them. My guess is Kittle is back for the GB game, and I have no idea about Sanders' rib injury and how long he will be out.

I still think we will prove to be the best team in the NFC when the season is over if we are fully healthy with all our guys back by the GB game. We will see.
    Ezekiel38
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 am
  • It's truly amazing that the 49ers had to overcome so many obstacles, I mean playing on their home field, biggest Crowd and loudest they have had, needing Seattle to play a perfect game, no turnovers, the officials calling everything in Seattle's favor as well as Seattle having everyone on their Roster Healthy.

With all those hardships the 49ers had to deal with it's amazing they had as much fight in them as they had. Jimmy clearly should have been the Games MVP having to deal with that adversity and putting up the numbers he did, I am sure that Seattle also greased the balls before the snap so the 49er receivers had issues hanging on to the ball.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:59 am
  • I get that the receivers dropped balls, but Jimmy was lucky to come away with only one INT. I'm not sure how you could watch his performance and think he played well. He looked like a guy in over his head. I'm not going to say that one bad game can define who Garoppolo is going forward, but we shouldn't pretend it's meaningless or write off his performance to the poor play of others. This was his first real test as a starter, and he did not have a good game. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, or that he's finally been exposed.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 am
  • knownone wrote:I get that the receivers dropped balls, but Jimmy was lucky to come away with only one INT. I'm not sure how you could watch his performance and think he played well. He looked like a guy in over his head. I'm not going to say that one bad game can define who Garoppolo is going forward, but we shouldn't pretend it's meaningless or write off his performance to the poor play of others. This was his first real test as a starter, and he did not have a good game. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, or that he's finally been exposed.

He would have had 5 picks if it wasn’t for a bogus flag on Shaq’s pick early and if our defense could hang on to footballs that hit them in the hands. Not impressed by Crappallo. He’s not good under constant pressure. He got exposed a bit tonight.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:34 am
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Oh, I have concerns...

The talking heads...sigh. And JG played very well this game in my opinion and did what was needed to lead the team to a victory. And did it more than once. That is a reason I still have much belief in how far this team can go this season; I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through. Bourne and others did not. I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more. Kinda like Brady against KC last year when he lost the game on his pick and bailed out by Dee Ford's neutral zone penalty and he gets another chance. And then goes on and wins another SB and more accolades from the media. Disgusting.

And yes the starting tackles looked worse than the rookies who replaced them. My guess is Kittle is back for the GB game, and I have no idea about Sanders' rib injury and how long he will be out.

I still think we will prove to be the best team in the NFC when the season is over if we are fully healthy with all our guys back by the GB game. We will see.

The best team you've beaten is Pissburgh. Chill.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 am
  • LOL @ Ezekiel thinking Jimmy G. played well. Wow. He's lucky his stat line doesn't read four or five ints, instead of just one along with two lost fumbles. The "coming through in big moments" part particularly cracks me up.

Look...it's good that you manned up and came back tonight to congratulate us. Kudos for that. However, you are just being BLIND about your QB. What I saw tonight ensures that I won't be worried about your QUARTERBACK winning the game for you in Seattle later this season.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:Congrats on the win. Not gonna eat crow as we straight up gave you the game with turnovers and dropped balls. Could not anticipate that and this one leaves a sour taste for obvious reasons.

You are not better than us that's for damn sure. But you got the W and that's what mattered tonight.

Makes for an exciting stretch run at least. If you don't lose two of your next four I will be surprised. But again, sincerely congrats on the win. We could not overcome Kendrick Bourne and it cost us the game.

You left out the officiating, the Seahawks were better than the 9ers AND the officials and their obvious bias. Hell, were the announcers paid as well?.....Also, the Hawks are better than the 9ers, it was proven in front of all of us.

I find it entertainingly humerous and have for all my years on here when opposing fans spend more time HERE than on their own boards, then waste hours typing up stuff that all of us just laugh at. Go ahead...Hahahahahaha.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:10 am
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:

Both teams made errors.. it's why the game was close.

Everything you're claiming kept your team from winning Seattle also did to keep the game close.

The passive aggressive approach is a little soft considering all your pregame hype
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:08 am
  • Which drops are Marvin wondering about that changed the game for Jimmy G? The 4 or 5 by or LB’s & secondary or his own team? Frankly it amazes me they were 8-0 in spite of him playing QB. I’ll be surprised if they win more than 3 games down the stretch with him as the QB.

The Hawks have their own problems but it’s definitely not the QB. I was utterly shocked however to see him make a bad under throw for the game winner in OT to Hollister though. The O-line has to play much better next time out handling pass pro & the blitz.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 am
  • chris98251 wrote:It's truly amazing that the 49ers had to overcome so many obstacles, I mean playing on their home field, biggest Crowd and loudest they have had, needing Seattle to play a perfect game, no turnovers, the officials calling everything in Seattle's favor as well as Seattle having everyone on their Roster Healthy.

With all those hardships the 49ers had to deal with it's amazing they had as much fight in them as they had. Jimmy clearly should have been the Games MVP having to deal with that adversity and putting up the numbers he did, I am sure that Seattle also greased the balls before the snap so the 49er receivers had issues hanging on to the ball.

Yeah Chris, because being down 2 guys who have never dropped a pass this season (they had 7 or 8 drops), and their kicker in a game they had a chance for a game winning kick had nothing to do with the outcome.

LOL. Stop being dramatic. Seahawks won. Gratz to them. It was a big game. That doesn't mean we can't break down what happened.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's truly amazing that the 49ers had to overcome so many obstacles, I mean playing on their home field, biggest Crowd and loudest they have had, needing Seattle to play a perfect game, no turnovers, the officials calling everything in Seattle's favor as well as Seattle having everyone on their Roster Healthy.

Yeah Chris, because being down 2 guys who have never dropped a pass this season (they had 7 or 8 drops), and their kicker in a game they had a chance for a game winning kick had nothing to do with the outcome.

LOL. Stop being dramatic. Seahawks won. Gratz to them. It was a big game. That doesn't mean we can't break down what happened.

Sounds like excuses.
    HawkStrong
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 am
  • knownone wrote:I get that the receivers dropped balls, but Jimmy was lucky to come away with only one INT. I'm not sure how you could watch his performance and think he played well. He looked like a guy in over his head. I'm not going to say that one bad game can define who Garoppolo is going forward, but we shouldn't pretend it's meaningless or write off his performance to the poor play of others. This was his first real test as a starter, and he did not have a good game. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, or that he's finally been exposed.

M'Kay,

Not gonna say he played WELL, but I dunno how you can watch the game and not see that the drops had a SIGNIFICANT impact on the game.

They were drive extenders. One was an INT that gave Seattle the ball near the 20 (Bourne). One would have given the 49ers a 1st and goal and they ended up settling for a FG (Bourne). Another would have been a HUGE completion over the middle with room to run (Samuel). One would have extended a drive at the beginning of the game (Goodwin). Two more would have been a huge 3rd down conversions (Pettis and Juszczyk).

Time and time again drops KILLED them last night.

Now, at the end of the game he certainly made some poor throws that LBs dropped. No defense of him there, but without the OTHER drops, they are never even in that position.

I take nothing away from Seattle. They deserved it more than SF did. ther eis no question...but don't sit here and tell me that the drops didn't have anything to do with it. They were HUGE.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 am
  • HawkStrong wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's truly amazing that the 49ers had to overcome so many obstacles, I mean playing on their home field, biggest Crowd and loudest they have had, needing Seattle to play a perfect game, no turnovers, the officials calling everything in Seattle's favor as well as Seattle having everyone on their Roster Healthy.

Sounds like excuses.

Seriously?

...and if the Niners won last night I'd be reading NOTHING here this morning in refernce to WHY the Seahawks lost? Please.

Discussing the reasons for the loss aren't excuses. They are THE REASONS IT HAPPENED.

Why did Niners lose?

1) Seahawks D-Line dominated. I don't know if that's because the Seahawks are that good or the Niner O-Line played that bad. Or both.

2) Drops all over the field by the WR position. That isn't an excuse. Its fact. Those guys are 49ers tho. They are on the roster. When you factor in how good a team is, how well the 49ers catch the ball is a part of that equation. Its been a problem all year and a big reason why they wanted Sanders.

Did some stuff go the 49ers way? Well of course they did. The In the grasp thing was ludicrous. Saying the dropped passes had a big impact on the game doesn't discount all else that took place.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am
  • penihawk wrote:Which drops are Marvin wondering about that changed the game for Jimmy G? The 4 or 5 by or LB’s & secondary or his own team? Frankly it amazes me they were 8-0 in spite of him playing QB. I’ll be surprised if they win more than 3 games down the stretch with him as the QB.

The Hawks have their own problems but it’s definitely not the QB. I was utterly shocked however to see him make a bad under throw for the game winner in OT to Hollister though. The O-line has to play much better next time out handling pass pro & the blitz.

Hey man! Gratz on the dumbest thing I'll read all day. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:07 am
  • ...and BTW, those late almost INTs?

Last edited by Marvin49 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    knownone wrote:I get that the receivers dropped balls, but Jimmy was lucky to come away with only one INT. I'm not sure how you could watch his performance and think he played well. He looked like a guy in over his head. I'm not going to say that one bad game can define who Garoppolo is going forward, but we shouldn't pretend it's meaningless or write off his performance to the poor play of others. This was his first real test as a starter, and he did not have a good game. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, or that he's finally been exposed.

M'Kay,

Not gonna say he played WELL, but I dunno how you can watch the game and not see that the drops had a SIGNIFICANT impact on the game.

They were drive extenders. One was an INT that gave Seattle the ball near the 20 (Bourne). One would have given the 49ers a 1st and goal and they ended up settling for a FG (Bourne). Another would have been a HUGE completion over the middle with room to run (Samuel). One would have extended a drive at the beginning of the game (Goodwin). Two more would have been a huge 3rd down conversions (Pettis and Juszczyk).

Now, at the end of the game he certainly made some poor throws that LBs dropped. No defense of him there, but without the OTHER drops, they are never even in that position.

I take nothing away from Seattle. They deserved it more than SF did. ther eis no question...but don't sit here and tell me that the drops didn't have anything to do with it. They were HUGE.

Well the 150 yards in non called penalties or so that should have been called on the 49ers, double helmet to helmet hit on Lockett, two face masks on Wilson, Horse collar on Wilson, late hit and targeting on a slide by three defenders.

Now lets talk about the Non in the grasp call on that Fumble strip on Wilson and Ifedi, then a in the Grasp call on Wilson when he gained yardage on that late play and turned it into a 3 and 16, call the in the grasp correctly on the fumble and that takes 7 points off your score and the momentum doesn't swing. Plus the non facemask call on that play also.

So you can complain about drops, yes we are b!@ch about the bias of officiating because it could have got players hurt badly, that in inconsistent in their calls. We also had players out by the way, we had a PS TE playing, two guys playing that had just got to practice one week, missing our starting Center, and Lockett in the 2nd half. I understand Kittle is a big deal in your offense, but no bigger then Lockett in ours, now add no Dissly who is impactful both as a receiver and in our run game, Willson Hurt with a Hamstring and Dickson still not on the 53 coming off injury, not as big of names maybe but important for the Seahawks in the roles they play.

We can sit and say that if not for the officials calls we may have blown the game wide open and it would have never been close.

As it is your lamenting about your perspective and us b!@ch about other things make no difference now, it was a great game to watch as a fan first of the Game and then of our franchises, too bad there has to be a loser but this is the type of game that makes being a fan worthwhile.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    knownone wrote:I get that the receivers dropped balls, but Jimmy was lucky to come away with only one INT. I'm not sure how you could watch his performance and think he played well. He looked like a guy in over his head. I'm not going to say that one bad game can define who Garoppolo is going forward, but we shouldn't pretend it's meaningless or write off his performance to the poor play of others. This was his first real test as a starter, and he did not have a good game. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, or that he's finally been exposed.

M'Kay,

Well the 150 yards in non called penalties or so that should have been called on the 49ers, double helmet to helmet hit on Lockett, two face masks on Wilson, Horse collar on Wilson, late hit and targeting on a slide by three defenders.

Now lets talk about the Non in the grasp call on that Fumble strip on Wilson and Ifedi, then a in the Grasp call on Wilson when he gained yardage on that late play and turned it into a 3 and 16, call the in the grasp correctly on the fumble and that takes 7 points off your score and the momentum doesn't swing. Plus the non facemask call on that play also.

So you can complain about drops, yes we are b!@ch about the bias of officiating because it could have got players hurt badly, that in inconsistent in their calls. We also had players out by the way, we had a PS TE playing, two guys playing that had just got to practice one week, missing our starting Center, and Lockett in the 2nd half. I understand Kittle is a big deal in your offense, but no bigger then Lockett in ours, now add no Dissly who is impactful both as a receiver and in our run game, Willson Hurt with a Hamstring and Dickson still not on the 53 coming off injury, not as big of names maybe but important for the Seahawks in the roles they play.

We can sit and say that if not for the officials calls we may have blown the game wide open and it would have never been close.

As it is your lamenting about your perspective and us b!@ch about other things make no difference now, it was a great game to watch as a fan first of the Game and then of our franchises, too bad there has to be a loser but this is the type of game that makes being a fan worthwhile.

I think there is this tendancy to think if someone on one teams says not having a guy, or drops or whatever played a big part in the outcome of the game, then they are saying all else was just fine. IE, OUR guys had some issues but YOUR guys were perfect so we ONLY lost because of what happened to OUR guys.

There was stuff all over the field.

Mostert should have been awarded the first down in overtime. He got it. Losing Richburg for awhile made a huge difference. There are a host of others. That doesn't mean that my perception is that everything was peachy on the other side of the ball.

We are in the autopsy of the game now. Drops had a huge impact. No Kittle and Sanders had a huge impact. That doesn't mean nothing else did as well.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:15 am
  • chris98251 wrote:It's truly amazing that the 49ers had to overcome so many obstacles, I mean playing on their home field, biggest Crowd and loudest they have had, needing Seattle to play a perfect game, no turnovers, the officials calling everything in Seattle's favor as well as Seattle having everyone on their Roster Healthy.

Post of the week.

It's like SOME 9er fans don't want to see that Seattle also made errors including 2 costly ones in the red zone, got $h!t calls against them, is missing it's TE for the season who while not quite Kittle isn't far behind, are without their starting Center, etc.

Both teams made plays, both teams screwed up. Seattle was 3 points better last night.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 am
  • Ezekiel38 came in hot before the game with his bravado, and today, the better team won. He should just acknowledge that and move on. There were a lot of issues with officials last night (it was a horribly officiated game). I'm sure both sides feel they had it worse, which means it was just bad all around. The Seahawks made more plays Monday night and won the game. It's now in the past and nothing will change it. I look forward to the week 17 match. The niners are still the #1 team in the NFC, but we showed they have flaws and can be beat. How they recover from this game will say a lot.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am
  • I saw two evenly matched teams playing a hard fought game. A few bounces one way or another, or a call here or not here and it could change a lot. Seahawks had two red zone turnovers otherwise it would have been higher scoring. 49ers had turnovers in their own side of the field which led to 21 points. Calls favoured the 49ers. Some questionable calls . 49ers had the edge on defense coming in but Clowney played his best game of the year and evened it out. Russell was Russell when it mattered most. 49ers were missing some key players but Seahawks had injuries too. These teams are very even, that’s why it came down to the last second and could very well have been a tie. We can argue until we are blue in the face who is the better team but the truth is they are pretty equal .
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am
  • 94Smith wrote:I saw two evenly matched teams playing a hard fought game. A few bounces one way or another, or a call here or not here and it could change a lot. Seahawks had two red zone turnovers otherwise it would have been higher scoring. 49ers had turnovers in their own side of the field which led to 21 points. Calls favoured the 49ers. Some questionable calls . 49ers had the edge on defense coming in but Clowney played his best game of the year and evened it out. Russell was Russell when it mattered most. 49ers were missing some key players but Seahawks had injuries too. These teams are very even, that’s why it came down to the last second and could very well have been a tie. We can argue until we are blue in the face who is the better team but the truth is they are pretty equal .

yep, spot on
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:03 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:I saw two evenly matched teams playing a hard fought game. A few bounces one way or another, or a call here or not here and it could change a lot. Seahawks had two red zone turnovers otherwise it would have been higher scoring. 49ers had turnovers in their own side of the field which led to 21 points. Calls favoured the 49ers. Some questionable calls . 49ers had the edge on defense coming in but Clowney played his best game of the year and evened it out. Russell was Russell when it mattered most. 49ers were missing some key players but Seahawks had injuries too. These teams are very even, that’s why it came down to the last second and could very well have been a tie. We can argue until we are blue in the face who is the better team but the truth is they are pretty equal .

yep, spot on

Yeah... was a great game. 9ers D was more impressive than I had anticipated. Their offense less so...

The Hawks D was the surprise in this one.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:I saw two evenly matched teams playing a hard fought game. A few bounces one way or another, or a call here or not here and it could change a lot. Seahawks had two red zone turnovers otherwise it would have been higher scoring. 49ers had turnovers in their own side of the field which led to 21 points. Calls favoured the 49ers. Some questionable calls . 49ers had the edge on defense coming in but Clowney played his best game of the year and evened it out. Russell was Russell when it mattered most. 49ers were missing some key players but Seahawks had injuries too. These teams are very even, that’s why it came down to the last second and could very well have been a tie. We can argue until we are blue in the face who is the better team but the truth is they are pretty equal .

yep, spot on

Yeah... was a great game. 9ers D was more impressive than I had anticipated. Their offense less so...

That's a big thing I took out of it.

The question is why?

Is the Seattle front 4 a sleeping giant? Were Staley and McGlinchey really rusty? Niner receivers after Kittle and Sanders suck hard?

Probably a mix of all.

Niner O hasn't looked like that all year. Divisional Street Fight? Dunno.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:26 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

yep, spot on

The question is why?

Is the Seattle front 4 a sleeping giant? Were Staley and McGlinchey really rusty? Niner receivers after Kittle and Sanders suck hard?

Probably a mix of all.

We finally have all our guys on that line healthy and in game shape (except Ansah). Reed missed the first 6 weeks due to suspension and I think he's just been working himself back into full game shape. Jefferson though, is the guys I think is the lynch pin. He's been able to really get good penetration and having all these guys out there at once, healthy and in game shape, really lifts everyone else up. This is the Dline I thought we could be and I think they'll continue to be good as long as they stay healthy. I do think this was one of those outliers. I don't see Clowney getting double digit QB hits every week, but I do think we will see a much improved Dline moving forward.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:yep, spot on

The question is why?

Probably a mix of all.

We finally have all our guys on that line healthy and in game shape (except Ansah). Reed missed the first 6 weeks due to suspension and I think he's just been working himself back into full game shape. Jefferson though, is the guys I think is the lynch pin. He's been able to really get good penetration and having all these guys out there at once, healthy and in game shape, really lifts everyone else up. This is the Dline I thought we could be and I think they'll continue to be good as long as they stay healthy. I do think this was one of those outliers. I don't see Clowney getting double digit QB hits every week, but I do think we will see a much improved Dline moving forward.

I saw Clowney beating Staley last night like he's never been beat before.

He looked like college Clowney.

I just dunno how much of that is him and how much of that is Staley rust...or worse, maybe he just doesn't have it anymore.

Niners played with backup tackles for a month against some pretty good pass rushers, and they never looked remotely like that.

McGlinchey got owned a few times too. I just don't know what conclusion to draw from that yet.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:05 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:I saw two evenly matched teams playing a hard fought game. A few bounces one way or another, or a call here or not here and it could change a lot. Seahawks had two red zone turnovers otherwise it would have been higher scoring. 49ers had turnovers in their own side of the field which led to 21 points. Calls favoured the 49ers. Some questionable calls . 49ers had the edge on defense coming in but Clowney played his best game of the year and evened it out. Russell was Russell when it mattered most. 49ers were missing some key players but Seahawks had injuries too. These teams are very even, that’s why it came down to the last second and could very well have been a tie. We can argue until we are blue in the face who is the better team but the truth is they are pretty equal .

Nice levelheaded post. You are one of very few rational non-excuse making Niner fans. Thanks.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

The question is why?

Probably a mix of all.

I just dunno how much of that is him and how much of that is Staley rust...or worse, maybe he just doesn't have it anymore.

Niners played with backup tackles for a month against some pretty good pass rushers, and they never looked remotely like that.

McGlinchey got owned a few times too. I just don't know what conclusion to draw from that yet.

I don't think the back up tackles were tested like they were. What did they throw like 46 times? They couldn't run the ball so they were forced to throw and put pressure on the tackles to perform. Also playing without the lead forces your team to throw the ball more.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

The question is why?

Probably a mix of all.

I don't think the back up tackles were tested like they were. What did they throw like 46 times? They couldn't run the ball so they were forced to throw and put pressure on the tackles to perform. Also playing without the lead forces your team to throw the ball more.

The Seahawks weren't the first team that stacked the box and forced them to throw. Rams did that. Cards did that.

Skule never looked like Staley did yesterday. Now I'm not sayin he's done or that Skule should start now, but I am sayin either he was real rusty or we have a problem at LT.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

The question is why?

Probably a mix of all.

I'm sure that there was also some of that which played a part as well, I just know that what I've seen all season was a defensive line that couldn't get all 4 guys healthy and game ready at the same time before last night. As I said, this was an all world type game for Clowney. I don't expect that pace to continue at all. I'm sure a part of that can be attributed to what you are saying, but getting Reed looking to be back in game shape and getting Jefferson back are much more important than most will realize.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

The Seahawks weren't the first team that stacked the box and forced them to throw. Rams did that. Cards did that.

Skule never looked like Staley did yesterday. Now I'm not sayin he's done or that Skule should start now, but I am sayin either he was real rusty or we have a problem at LT.

It would be interesting to see the coaches tape but I have a feeling that our receivers were not getting much seperation. Jimmy was holding the ball a lot.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

It would be interesting to see the coaches tape but I have a feeling that our receivers were not getting much seperation. Jimmy was holding the ball a lot.

YES. THAT.

I forgot to mention that, but SOOOO true.

He was regularly htting that back foot and holding it through several reads. He is normally VERY quick to get the ball out, but he was holding it quite a bit.

Nobody getting open? Dunno.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Ezekiel38 wrote:The talking heads...sigh. And JG played very well this game in my opinion and did what was needed to lead the team to a victory. And did it more than once. That is a reason I still have much belief in how far this team can go this season; I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through. Bourne and others did not. I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more.

Jimmy G in OT. 1-5 for 7 yards including a horrifically thrown ball that went right through K.J. Wrights hands and bounced off his chest. For as much as you guys are talking about drops, that was the the most egregious drop of the game. Jimmy was so bad in OT that Boog and Tessitore were commenting that it looked like he was panicking.

Russell Wilson in OT. 7-11 for 77 yards, 18 yards rushing, and yes, 1 pick. Russ slightly under threw it and Greenlaw made a great play going up and getting, but it wasn't remotely as bad of a throw as Jimmys absolute gift to K.J. that he dropped.

I'm not trying to diminish the pick. It was definitely a terrible mistake that could have cost them the game, but even with that mistake, Russ drastically out played Jimmy in OT when it mattered most. Jimmy did basically nothing in OT other than panic and trip all over his own d*ck. That is why the "ignorant punditry" will look at this game as a knock against JG and drool all over Russ even more.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:09 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:The talking heads...sigh. And JG played very well this game in my opinion and did what was needed to lead the team to a victory. And did it more than once. That is a reason I still have much belief in how far this team can go this season; I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through. Bourne and others did not. I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more.

Jimmy G in OT. 1-5 for 7 yards including a horrifically thrown ball that went right through K.J. Wrights hands and bounced off his chest. For as much as you guys are talking about drops, that was the the most egregious drop of the game. Jimmy was so bad in OT that Boog and Tessitore were commenting that it looked like he was panicking.

Russell Wilson in OT. 7-11 for 77 yards, 18 yards rushing, and yes, 1 pick. Russ slightly under threw it and Greenlaw made a great play going up and getting, but it wasn't remotely as bad of a throw as Jimmys absolute gift to K.J. that he dropped.

I'm not trying to diminish the pick. It was definitely a terrible mistake that could have cost them the game, but even with that mistake, Russ drastically out played Jimmy in OT when it mattered most. Jimmy did basically nothing in OT other than panic and trip all over his own d*ck. That is why the "ignorant punditry" will look at this game as a knock against JG and drool all over Russ even more.

1) Please stop quoting Booger and Tessitore. They are horrific. For perspecive, vs the Browns they kept excusing Baker and attacking Jimmy. I'm not kidding. Jimmy was 20-29 for 180+ yards and 2 TDs (they also rushed for 275 yards). Baker was 8-20 for 100 and an INT...but Baker was the one they made excuses for. Right.

On those near INTs tho, Wagner said after the game that they had figured out the keys...IE they could hear his call and knew where the ball was going. They were bad throws, but context there. That's pretty impressive from two vet LBs.

2) None of those plays even happen if the WRs catch the damn ball.

3) I never said Jimmy was better than Wilson, so no idea why the comparison was necessary. I do like how Jimmys bass was "horrifically thrown" and Wilsons was "slightly underthrown". LOL. Honestly, I think both LBs made great plays especially now that I know how KJ Wright was in that spot to begin with.

Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 pm
  • Honestly, Marv, KS lost the game in OT. They easily could have made that 4th and inches for a fresh set of downs, run it closer for their kicker or try for a TD while killing the clock.

They were looking at worse realistic case a tie...so they gave Russ the ball back with a minute thirty.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Honestly, Marv, KS lost the game in OT. They easily could have made that 4th and inches for a fresh set of downs, run it closer for their kicker or try for a TD while killing the clock.

They were looking at worse realistic case a tie...so they gave Russ the ball back with a minute thirty.

100% this^, all the things lead to that point. KS ultimately made the wrong decision.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:37 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Ezekiel38 wrote:The talking heads...sigh. And JG played very well this game in my opinion and did what was needed to lead the team to a victory. And did it more than once. That is a reason I still have much belief in how far this team can go this season; I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through. Bourne and others did not. I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more.

1) Please stop quoting Booger and Tessitore. They are horrific. For perspecive, vs the Browns they kept excusing Baker and attacking Jimmy. I'm not kidding. Jimmy was 20-29 for 180+ yards and 2 TDs (they also rushed for 275 yards). Baker was 8-20 for 100 and an INT...but Baker was the one they made excuses for. Right.

On those near INTs tho, Wagner said after the game that they had figured out the keys...IE they could hear his call and knew where the ball was going. They were bad throws, but context there. That's pretty impressive from two vet LBs.

3) I never said Jimmy was better than Wilson, so no idea why the comparison was necessary. I do like how Jimmys bass was "horrifically thrown" and Wilsons was "slightly underthrown". LOL. Honestly, I think both LBs made great plays especially now that I know how KJ Wright was in that spot to begin with.

I didn't quote you. I quoted Ezekiel. That post was in response to his post, and mostly to these comments.

I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through.

I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more.

Does my post make more sense to you now?

And even if Boog and Tessitore are horrific, they aren't always wrong. Maybe "panicking" is a bit strong, but Jimmy sure didn't look calm, cool, and collected out there in OT like one would hope to see from the leader of the offense.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:51 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Honestly, Marv, KS lost the game in OT. They easily could have made that 4th and inches for a fresh set of downs, run it closer for their kicker or try for a TD while killing the clock.

That's a tough one. I kinda wanted them to go, but a couple things...

1) It was a bad spot to begin with. He had the first down. Now don't jump on me about all the bad calls (there were several), but I'm talking about this situation specifically.

2) That kicker was 3 for 3.

3) They had shown little ability to run the ball all night. If they DON'T get it, people are all over him making the opposite argument.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:57 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

I didn't quote you. I quoted Ezekiel. That post was in response to his post, and mostly to these comments.

I trust JG in high-leverage moments to come through. He did come through.

I don't think I can bare to watch the ignorant punditry claim this game was a knock against JG, and even worse RW lost the game for the Seahawks with his pick before he won it. And now the media drools all over him even more.

Does my post make more sense to you now?

And even if Boog and Tessitore are horrific, they aren't always wrong. Maybe "panicking" is a bit strong, but Jimmy sure didn't look calm, cool, and collected out there in OT like one would hope to see from the leader of the offense.

Oh no, he was certainly uncomfortable. Clowney was depositing Staley and McGlinchey in his lap all night. He was certainly rushing his throws and didn't help that Wagner and Wright had kinda "cracked the code" (and I'm glad they stated so publicly so that it can be fixed).

It was also really clear that after all of those drops, niether Garoppolo or Shanahan trusted those WRs. Burned way too many times this year and this game. That was the entire purpose for the Sanders trade...a guy who hadn't dropped a pass all year.

It may come off as me just defending Jimmy G, but that ain't it. He made some poor throws. He just didn't get much help either.

Wilson outplayed him just as you would expect from an MVP candidate.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:

M'Kay,

The drops absolutely had an impact on the game, for sure, but that's a two sided coin. For instance, I could sit here and find examples of mistakes by the Hawks that would have changed the game as well. Like the fairly benign 50/50 penalty that negated Griffin's interception, or Metcalf's two huge first down drops, and his fumble on the two yard line, etc...

I think the Hawks played poorly on offense. I think Wilson had one of his worst games of the season and struggled for large stretches of the game. Most of our struggles were because the 49ers defense dominated our offensive line. Things could have gone better in certain aspects, absolutely, but at the end of the day, I place the onus on Wilson to get things done. Seriously, we were fortunate to come away with a win. Wilson's fumble for a touchdown and his INT in OT were game changing plays and largely on him. In spite of all the mistakes that were outside of his control, I still think Wilson still needed to play better. That's the burden of being the QB.

What I'm seeing from Niners fans (not necessarily you) seems like the opposite reaction. Instead of acknowledging he struggled, they are protecting him (or themselves) by blaming everything else that went wrong to justify his struggles. The offensive line, the receivers, injuries, etc... Those things are going to happen, and if your QB can't adapt through adversity, then he might not be who you think he is. That's more of generality than specifically relating to Jimmy.

I personally don't place much significance on one game to determine how good a QB a player is. I said way back in week 5 that I didn't know what to make of Jimmy G because we haven't seen what he can do when a defense takes away his running game and forces him to play from behind. I knew this game was coming eventually. No QB is immune to adversity for his entire career. From my perspective, this was an expected occurrence from a young QB on a great team, so much so that I predicted (roughly) what would happen in the prediction thread.

I think the Seahawks will slow down the Niners rushing attack and Jimmy G will move the ball up and down the field but fail to convert TDs consistently. This could be the Seahawks most productive day rushing the passer.

He got his first real test of playoff football and both he and the offense struggled. This is not an indictment on Garoppolo or the Niners chances. This a small bump in the road that Jimmy needs to experience and bounce back from in order to prove to himself that he belongs out there. These fairy-tales about drops and injuries are just things we tell ourselves to feel better about our chances. History doesn't care about young guys who drop passes, or players getting injured at inopportune times. History cares about outcomes, and ultimately, the Niners will only go as far as Jimmy takes them. The rest is just noise.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Honestly, Marv, KS lost the game in OT. They easily could have made that 4th and inches for a fresh set of downs, run it closer for their kicker or try for a TD while killing the clock.

1) It was a bad spot to begin with. He had the first down. Now don't jump on me about all the bad calls (there were several), but I'm talking about this situation specifically.

3) They had shown little ability to run the ball all night. If they DON'T get it, people are all over him making the opposite argument.

The Hawks scared them w/takeaways but it went both ways. The momentum was on your side just to run the ball up if only to make that FG more a chip shot. Ya, the kid wouldn't have made it with that kick 15 yards closer, but at 15 yards closer, maybe he doesn't get those yips to flub it. If he doesn't get it, it's a tie.

I would have put clock management first, especially in a "tie-ish" game like this one, and especially knowing that the average rate for kickers is about 80 percent right now, and especially w/ a first time substitute.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

M'Kay,

The drops absolutely had an impact on the game, for sure, but that's a two sided coin. For instance, I could sit here and find examples of mistakes by the Hawks that would have changed the game as well. Like the fairly benign 50/50 penalty that negated Griffin's interception, or Metcalf's two huge first down drops, and his fumble on the two yard line, etc...

I think the Hawks played poorly on offense. I think Wilson had one of his worst games of the season and struggled for large stretches of the game. Most of our struggles were because the 49ers defense dominated our offensive line. Things could have gone better in certain aspects, absolutely, but at the end of the day, I place the onus on Wilson to get things done. Seriously, we were fortunate to come away with a win. Wilson's fumble for a touchdown and his INT in OT were game changing plays and largely on him. In spite of all the mistakes that were outside of his control, I still think Wilson still needed to play better. That's the burden of being the QB.

What I'm seeing from Niners fans (not necessarily you) seems like the opposite reaction. Instead of acknowledging he struggled, they are protecting him (or themselves) by blaming everything else that went wrong to justify his struggles. The offensive line, the receivers, injuries, etc... Those things are going to happen, and if your QB can't adapt through adversity, then he might not be who you think he is. That's more of generality than specifically relating to Jimmy.

I personally don't place much significance on one game to determine how good a QB a player is. I said way back in week 5 that I didn't know what to make of Jimmy G because we haven't seen what he can do when a defense takes away his running game and forces him to play from behind. I knew this game was coming eventually. No QB is immune to adversity for his entire career. From my perspective, this was an expected occurrence from a young QB on a great team, so much so that I predicted (roughly) what would happen in the prediction thread.

I think the Seahawks will slow down the Niners rushing attack and Jimmy G will move the ball up and down the field but fail to convert TDs consistently. This could be the Seahawks most productive day rushing the passer.

He got his first real test of playoff football and both he and the offense struggled. This is not an indictment on Garoppolo or the Niners chances. This a small bump in the road that Jimmy needs to experience and bounce back from in order to prove to himself that he belongs out there. These fairy-tales about drops and injuries are just things we tell ourselves to feel better about our chances. History doesn't care about young guys who drop passes, or players getting injured at inopportune times. History cares about outcomes, and ultimately, the Niners will only go as far as Jimmy takes them. The rest is just noise.

So I'd answer that two ways....

1) Mostly fair
    2) I think your expectation is that regardless of the players around him, you expect the QB to succeed. Thats built by watching Wilson play day in and day out for a long time.

That ain't the way it works on all teams.

You are right, history won't tell that story, but it really doesn't matter what history says. Football isn't played in a history book. The FACTS are that on MULTIPLE occasions last night, Jimmy Garoppolo put the ball on receivers hands and they flat dropped it. Worse yet, on three occasions, the intended target knocked it into the air to get picked off or nearly so.

That IS on those receivers. That is NOT on Jimmy.

I keep reading that he "could have been picked off 5 times". Three of those passes were tipped into the air. How is that on Jimmy?

He did however make some poor throws independent of those passes. That's not even an argument and I'm not defending them. If you had seen Wilson passes getting knocked straight up into the air or dropped on crucial third downs as Niner fans did last night, you would be here making the EXACT same argument.

Now, does that mean I think that was the only factor? Not even a little bit. I'm not trying to absolve Jimmy of all responsibility. What I am saying is that its never quite as bad or quite as good as you think it is. This is a good example.

Being down Kittle and Sanders made a huge difference on the Niner performance. Now does that mean I think they win if those passes are caught? I can't say that because at that point its an entirely different game.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Honestly, Marv, KS lost the game in OT. They easily could have made that 4th and inches for a fresh set of downs, run it closer for their kicker or try for a TD while killing the clock.

The Hawks scared them w/takeaways but it went both ways. The momentum was on your side just to run the ball up if only to make that FG more a chip shot. Ya, the kid wouldn't have made it with that kick 15 yards closer, but at 15 yards closer, maybe he doesn't get those yips to flub it. If he doesn't get it, it's a tie.

I would have put clock management first, especially in a "tie-ish" game like this one, and especially knowing that the average rate for kickers is about 80 percent right now, and especially w/ a first time substitute.

Well considering the kick, I think it might have missed from 18 yards out.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

M'Kay,

So I'd answer that two ways....

1) Mostly fair
    2) I think your expectation is that regardless of the players around him, you expect the QB to succeed. Thats built by watching Wilson play day in and day out for a long time.

That ain't the way it works on all teams.

You are right, history won't tell that story, but it really doesn't matter what history says. Football isn't played in a history book. The FACTS are that on MULTIPLE occasions last night, Jimmy Garoppolo put the ball on receivers hands and they flat dropped it. Worse yet, on three occasions, the intended target knocked it into the air to get picked off or nearly so.

That IS on those receivers. That is NOT on Jimmy.

I keep reading that he "could have been picked off 5 times". Three of those passes were tipped into the air. How is that on Jimmy?

He did however make some poor throws independent of those passes. That's not even an argument and I'm not defending them. If you had seen Wilson passes getting knocked straight up into the air or dropped on crucial third downs as Niner fans did last night, you would be here making the EXACT same argument.

Now, does that mean I think that was the only factor? Not even a little bit. I'm not trying to absolve Jimmy of all responsibility. What I am saying is that its never quite as bad or quite as good as you think it is. This is a good example.

Being down Kittle and Sanders made a huge difference on the Niner performance. Now does that mean I think they win if those passes are caught? I can't say that because at that point its an entirely different game.

We get it Marv, nothing is Crapollo’s fault In your world, ever. #10 has never thrown a pick that was his fault in your mind. You make excuses for GQ like the excuses you made for the Kraepper. Keep polishing those turds and expecting them to turn into gold.

His tipped balls were because he was missing high, see inaccuracy.
    Wagner and KJ Wright dropped balls that hit them squarely in the hands.

Jimmy will be Kraepper 2.0 minus the foot speed, and cannon for an arm. #10 has been exposed.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information