Reform Is Needed!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Watching the Packers / Lions game tonight, I had no dog in the fight other than it would be fun to watch the Lions beat the Packers at home. The Lions had this game. Until the refs stepped in.

Those two calls against that Lions defender was disgusting. In my mind, it literally cost them the game.

So here's my solution.

EVERY play in the NFL should be reviewable. EVERY PLAY. Why not? Oh, some say it would slow down the game too much. Umm, no. Simply keep the same structure. Each team has 3 challenges. Use them as you will.

Part of me wants these refs to be fined or even have their paychecks taken away if it turns out their call(s) cost a team a game like tonight. However, that's unlikely to happen. BUT it seems like the NFL could possibly look at the idea of every play being challengeable, AGAIN, if each team only has 3 chances so you can't argue it would change the game or slow it down more than it is.

JUST GET THE CALL RIGHT!!!

Every play being reviewable could be the answer. Make it so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cowboys Jets game they did their best to do the same thing, phantom calls or calls that were for doing something that was not an infraction.

This begs to question now that the NFL is in the gambling business are we getting influence in games like the NBA did and kept denying till one ref came out and admitted it and said others were doing it also.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Aros":3fzkhvag said:
Watching the Packers / Lions game tonight, I had no dog in the fight other than it would be fun to watch the Lions beat the Packers at home. The Lions had this game. Until the refs stepped in.

Those two calls against that Lions defender was disgusting. In my mind, it literally cost them the game.

So here's my solution.

EVERY play in the NFL should be reviewable. EVERY PLAY. Why not? Oh, some say it would slow down the game too much. Umm, no. Simply keep the same structure. Each team has 3 challenges. Use them as you will.

Part of me wants these refs to be fined or even have their paychecks taken away if it turns out their call(s) cost a team a game like tonight. However, that's unlikely to happen. BUT it seems like the NFL could possibly look at the idea of every play being challengeable, AGAIN, if each team only has 3 chances so you can't argue it would change the game or slow it down more than it is.

JUST GET THE CALL RIGHT!!!

Every play being reviewable could be the answer. Make it so.

It seams if you're not winning by a blowout refs can push a game which ever way the NFL wants. I hate to think they would be doing this but I can't believe refs can be this bad.

I think refs should be full time, not lawyers that work games on weekends. Guys who's sole salary comes from being a ref, they should have to practice like the teams and be fined when they screw up like the players.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
The refs should also be a separate entity from the NFL.

As for challenges, why not give coaches as many challenges as they can win. Lose a challenge and you are done challenging. The teams should not be docked because the refs blew more calls then they had challenges for. Knowing you can't lose any would keep coaches from challenging too often.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JustTheTip":dj8b04tf said:
Lose a challenge and you are done challenging.
Oh, brilliant. Give the refs the ability to just stop a team from challenging the rest of the game. Yeah, I don't see how THAT would go wrong.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":j1e7h8vl said:
JustTheTip":j1e7h8vl said:
Lose a challenge and you are done challenging.
Oh, brilliant. Give the refs the ability to just stop a team from challenging the rest of the game. Yeah, I don't see how THAT would go wrong.
They already have that ability anyways and not much harder for them to do it then it would be if that were implemented. I think this way has more upside than down.

Vesuve

Reaction score
chris98251":1vuft4lc said:
Cowboys Jets game they did their best to do the same thing, phantom calls or calls that were for doing something that was not an infraction.

This begs to question now that the NFL is in the gambling business are we getting influence in games like the NBA did and kept denying till one ref came out and admitted it and said others were doing it also.

Yes, worth considering.

I remember tbe NBA ref that was Involved in fixing scores / games for millionaire gamblers.

His fixed calls were worth millions.

With all of the money involved, one or more than one, can be corrupted.

I am serious.

I think something will come out eventually.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
if a ref makes 2 bad calls in one game they should be ejected and unable to ref the next game. that would cut down on ticky tack calls.

cymatica

Reaction score
The conspiracy theorist in me says the NFL wants untrained refs appearing incompetent so any game steering can be blamed on that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
2_0_6":q0ghguhz said:
As long as the big market teams are winning there are no problems..
Green Bay is the smallest market in North American Pro sports. However, they are one of the NFL's "legacy" franchises.

knownone

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3980bhzi said:
if a ref makes 2 bad calls in one game they should be ejected and unable to ref the next game. that would cut down on ticky tack calls.
At this rate you’d run out of refs.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Every week we are seeing incorrect calls that have huge impact on the outcome of the game but the idea that the NFL is steering these calls falls incomplete. In the world we live in with endless hoards of media and the social network crusaders outing and passing judgment on every misdeed I see no way they could keep this secret. Undoubtedly someone would snitch or write a tell all book exposing the crime. That’s not to say individuals under the pressure of gambling influence couldn’t manipulate calls but even then repeat offenders would soon expose themselves.

I think the game is too fast and the rule book too deep for part time refs. And let’s be honest, players push the boundaries of the rules every play, refs could literally throw a flag every play.

I’m down with allowing coaches to use their two challenges on any play, it may actually speed the game up as coaches would likely save them for end of game scenarios.

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3309kijs said:
2_0_6":3309kijs said:
Green Bay is the smallest market in North American Pro sports. However, they are one of the NFL's "legacy" franchises.

I think you know what I meant :D

chris98251

Reaction score
2_0_6":gmpqjn9g said:
hawksfansinceday1":gmpqjn9g said:
2_0_6":gmpqjn9g said:

I think you know what I meant :D

The Packers had Vince Lombardi there and won the First Super Bowl, they will always be held up as a little Engine that could Franchise with a Legendary Conductor driving it.