Rams low on draft capital and cap room

ivotuk

Reaction score
For 2020 they're down two 1st round draft picks, and a 4th.

2020 cap Hits

Jared Goff -- $36,042,683

Aaron Donald -- $25,000,000

Todd Gurley -- $17,250,000

Brandin Cooks -- $$16,800,000

Jalen Ramsey -- $13,703,000 (Until they give him a new contract.)

That's roughly 109 Million dollars. I'm sure they have plans for getting under the cap, like letting Michael Brockers contract expire.

Pretty much a "Win Now" approach.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2020/

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Maybe this goes better here than in the Ramsey thread where I posted it.

If I were the Rams, I'd put Goff up on the trading block to recapture one of the firsts.

Bring in Kaep, who I think would survive that sieve of an offensive line, and would probably have some success in McVay's system.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3get81s1 said:

If I were the Rams, I'd put Goff up on the trading block to recapture one of the firsts.

Bring in Kaep, who I think would survive that sieve of an offensive line, and would probably have some success in McVay's system.
McVay would have to modify his system to accommodate Kap’s poor pocket awareness and lack of anticipation. But he (with Shanhaan) did that before in Washington.

The problem is that no one is going to give up firsts for Goff.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Plus those Goff cap hits/dead cap numbers before the out in 2022 are brutal. He's been playing in that Brissett/Foles/Flacco range, and those dudes are costing a lot less than what Goff costs.

I don't think there's no chance that a team doesn't give up a first round pick plus take on that albatross contract, but it seems unlikely. But some desperate teams do desperate things at times.

94Smith

Reaction score
bigskydoc":vhtpyq11 said:
Just to be clear, one first for Goff is what I'm thinking, not 2.

I think they have made their bed now and will try to lie in it. Don't think they will try to trade Goff now when there are little FA options and likely will not be drafting in a spot where they can get a potential starting QB.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'd be really surprised to see a team give up a first and take on that massive contract for Goff. Possibly the Broncos since Elway has been awful at identifying QB talent and might be desperate in a year or two (kinda joking, kinda not).

kobebryant

Reaction score
Much love to Brandin Cooks agent though. That's a job well done right there.

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":1vkc9kkw said:
bigskydoc":1vkc9kkw said:
Just to be clear, one first for Goff is what I'm thinking, not 2.

I think they have made their bed now and will try to lie in it. Don't think they will try to trade Goff now when there are little FA options and likely will not be drafting in a spot where they can get a potential starting QB.

Yeah they are not the Seahawks, Starting QB's can be found, hell you should know that 3rd round someone that played in S.F had a ok career for a little while.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I agree with JG, I'd be surprised to see a team give up a 1st for Goff and his baggage, but I'm still stunned that LA awarded him that contract, and all the other ridiculous QB moves that have been happening around the league.

I could see any one of these poorly run franchises going for it Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, Washington, and maybe Tampa Bay.

It would be a stupid move, but these teams are famous for stupid moves.

Bring Kaep in on the cheap. I think he would be a step up on Goff. Let him get destroyed, draft a replacement, and use the saved money to buy a line.

Of course they won't do it, but that's what I would do if I were them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":178lk812 said:

Kraper hasn't played in what?3 yrs?Go ahead Rams..Do it!

Maulbert

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3et8mpdi said:
I'd be really surprised to see a team give up a first and take on that massive contract for Goff. Possibly the Broncos since Elway has been awful at identifying QB talent and might be desperate in a year or two (kinda joking, kinda not).

I think if Elway made a deal for Goff, there'd be a full blown fan mutiny against Elway in Denver.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Maulbert":cgdcm1ee said:
JGfromtheNW":cgdcm1ee said:

I think if Elway made a deal for Goff, there'd be a full blown fan mutiny against Elway in Denver.

I mean, it's been train wreck after train wreck since Peyton retired. Seems like it would be business as usual.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1lbxvdzk said:
I agree with JG, I'd be surprised to see a team give up a 1st for Goff and his baggage, but I'm still stunned that LA awarded him that contract, and all the other ridiculous QB moves that have been happening around the league.

I could see any one of these poorly run franchises going for it Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, Washington, and maybe Tampa Bay.

It would be a stupid move, but these teams are famous for stupid moves.

Bring Kaep in on the cheap. I think he would be a step up on Goff. Let him get destroyed, draft a replacement, and use the saved money to buy a line.

Of course they won't do it, but that's what I would do if I were them.

I would get Kaep too.

LA's immediate concern is not necessarily to win; it's more about buzz--especially as they're trying to sell tickets now and PSLs for the new stadium.

Kaep brings that buzz. His Nike campaign was hugely successful, and I can see far more people especially younger people shelling out just to stand (kneel, whatever) with Kaep.

I saw the last game he played, against SEA, on 1/1/2017. We won by about a score. It was competitive.

And as to that being the last game he played, that third-stringer qb at KC yesterday also hadn't started a game since 2017, is 35, and with him they still put 20 points on the board.

Threedee

Reaction score
Maulbert":3qhghyvc said:
JGfromtheNW":3qhghyvc said:

Imagine a team with Elway as President/GM and Harbaugh as HC. The combined inability to scout and develop QBs would be something of cosmic proportions. They would create something with 10% of Ryan Lindley's capability.