Brady and Rodgers

zchurch74

Reaction score
Anyone else notice they were struggling making the normal throws this week? Yes Rodgers was under a lot of pressure and Brady played in the cold and rain. they were missing a lot of throws they normally make. They had guys open and were under or over throwing a lot of them. They just weren’t putting the ball in spaces to allow the receivers to make a play.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Brady/Rodgers are both system quarterbacks--not that mobile--in a game that increasingly is demanding that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Brady and Rodgers are both still very, very good QBs who are playing at a very high level.

Their problem is that their highs in their primes were so ridiculously high that they are getting graded on an insane curve in these latter parts of their careers (or for Brady, end of his career).

For instance, if you want to talk about a great, great aging QB who seems to have really started to fall of a cliff this year, that's Phillip Rivers.

Nobody talks about Rivers though because his high weren't as impossible high as Rodgers and Brady.

These guys are 35 and 42 years old and are still easily in the top quarter of QBs in the NFL. That's remarkable. They're not 1 and 2 anymore, sure, but I mean, c'mon. :lol:

hawk45

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gsv1ikph said:
Brady and Rodgers are both still very, very good QBs who are playing at a very high level.

Their problem is that their highs in their primes were so ridiculously high that they are getting graded on an insane curve in these latter parts of their careers (or for Brady, end of his career).

For instance, if you want to talk about a great, great aging QB who seems to have really started to fall of a cliff this year, that's Phillip Rivers.

Nobody talks about Rivers though because his high weren't as impossible high as Rodgers and Brady.

These guys are 35 and 42 years old and are still easily in the top quarter of QBs in the NFL. That's remarkable. They're not 1 and 2 anymore, sure, but I mean, c'mon. :lol:

As far as the year overall goes I agree but in the case of Rodgers v Niners man was he ever off. Rodgers was off on seemingly every single throw. Deep balls way overthrown, throws to the sideline late or low so they were uncatchable or there for easy bat-downs by the corner throws over the middle of the field that are usually darts being behind guys.

I don't expect a repeat of it or that it means something super significant in that now he will only be average, but as much as I love Rodgers to fail hard to turn his smug into whiny, he made that game unwatchable.

And yes of course the Niner D had a ton to do with it. That D gets pressure all day, stuffs your run, and flies around making scary hits (I remember in the Seahawk game wincing at some of the hits, particularly when Hollister was trying to be a tough guy and nearly got his spine sawed in half).

But usually on the plays where he's not being swallowed Rodgers manages to throw some darts. Last night seemed like the rare combination of the opposing D not giving him much, and when he did have something, him not taking what was there for him

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Brady has had three rough games this year (Dallas, Philly, Buffalo). He's had another couple average games and a few stellar games to start the season.

If this keeps up, this may be the "worst" year he's had for awhile. If he has another year of this or worse, it could be the age finally working its way in. But people have been predicting the decline of Brady for so many years now, who knows.

The good news for the Patriots has been their defense. If they keep it up, and Brady's floor this season is still an above average QB, they've still got a great shot.

Rodgers is still throwing down pretty efficient stats, but he seems to be making some mistakes you wouldn't expect out of a guy his caliber. He seemed to do the same thing a lot last year. It'll be interesting to see if he bounces back, he just seems off.

Nobody's going to say either of these guys are bad quarterbacks, and if they are on a good team they both have that clutch to get it done.