49ers at Ravens, 10am East Coast, Let the Mayhem Begin!

olyfan63

Reaction score
The 49ers at Ravens game, now THIS is the one that should have been flexed to the Sunday Night slot.
Irresistible force (Ravens Offense) meets the Immovable Object (49ers defense).

Complicating matters, the Ravens have been known to have a pretty good D of their own. Will the 49ers provide the rest of the NFL a blueprint for stopping Lamar Jackson and the Ravens? Will the Ravens and Jackson run roughshod over the Niners like they have nearly everyone else?

If SF wins, the blueprint for beating Lamar Jackson will be clear: have 4 or more 1st round draft choice athletes in your D-Line. If so, no doubt other NFL teams will jump right on that one and Lamar's little run will be over.

We will find out just how fast the SF defense is. We'll likely see Jimmy G get to show how well he handles pressure. Should be a rock-em, sock-em matchup!

Why do people think the Niners will win this one? OK, so Baltimore gets one less day of rest after the 45-6 beatdown of the Rams on Monday night. So SF will be better rested. What else you got?

Why do others think the Ravens will win? I mean, besides the national TV beatdown of the Rams on Monday.

SF is a 4.5 point underdog at last check.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The Ravens are good at doing all the things the 49ers are bad at countering.

On offense, the Ravens have a very mobile QB and run the ball really well. Moreover, they run a gadget offense which conceals the handoff and utilizes outside screens. The 49ers defense has consistently struggled against those things all season.

On defense, the Ravens do a lot of blitzing and 5 and 6 man line stuff. This is exactly the sort of thing the 49ers offense has struggled against. However, I'll say this: every time they've struggled with this it's been without many of the following key players: Kittle, Juicecheck, Staley, and Sanders. Still, when that running game is slowed down the offense has had problems.

Additionally, the Ravens are home.

I expect this game to be a wakeup call for the 49ers.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The Ravens need to be careful, we know how mardy the niners get if it's not going their way. Look out for the plethora of uncalled late and helmet to helmet hits

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":36alny29 said:

On offense, the Ravens have a very mobile QB and run the ball really well. Moreover, they run a gadget offense which conceals the handoff and utilizes outside screens. The 49ers defense has consistently struggled against those things all season.

On defense, the Ravens do a lot of blitzing and 5 and 6 man line stuff. This is exactly the sort of thing the 49ers offense has struggled against. However, I'll say this: every time they've struggled with this it's been without many of the following key players: Kittle, Juicecheck, Staley, and Sanders. Still, when that running game is slowed down the offense has had problems.

Good post.

I don't know about wake up call, but I think the 9ers will probably need to beat the Saints because they're probably going to lose to the Ravens.

Also worth saying that even if things go off the rails and the 9ers finish off at 11-5 in what has been an injury plagued season that's so wildly beyond what my expectations were for this year I won't even be mad about it.

rlkats

Reaction score
Ya I'm just not very confident that we have the answer YET for mobile qb's. And I suspect that they will continue to run in all aspects and stack the box. That is the formula that gives us fits. I am praying for an injury free game. I think that's the big win right now. Anything else in the win column is wonderful. We have the potential to win but I'm not expecting it. Ravens will be in the superbowl.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't see 9ers coming up with the W because of what Rings said.

The 9ers D are excellent at stopping system QBs like Erin. Less so against mobile QBs like Kyler Murray and RW. The Ravens are excellent in injecting chaos and rattling QBs like Jimmy G. Assuming no injuries on their side, the Ravens at 5 points is eminently reasonable.

Plus, 9ers just lost their latest defensive piece Devontre Moore who played with a broken forearm through most of the GB game. Really unusual that someone can just come in and contribute at that level, and it probably won't happen with whoever they bring up from PS. They won't have someone to sit Solomon Thomas for. I think KS wants minimal Solly but with so few healthy bodies might not have a choice.

Finally, IDK if they will keep McLaughlin if Gould is healthy enough to go. You never hear of teams keeping 3 QBs and 2 kickers on their 53. But in their case, it'd be wise. The kid laid an egg against Seattle, but it was his first game and he's been perfect since then.

94Smith

Reaction score
Expecting the niners to lose, although I do have some hope knowing how the Seahawks D used to handle a Greg Roman led offensive team with a tall mobile QB...

94Smith

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":kl1r6t54 said:
I
Plus, 9ers just lost their latest defensive piece Devontre Moore who played with a broken forearm through most of the GB game. Really unusual that someone can just come in and contribute at that level, and it probably won't happen with whoever they bring up from PS. They won't have someone to sit Solomon Thomas for. I think KS wants minimal Solly but with so few healthy bodies might not have a choice.

Dee Ford might play

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He might. He probably should even though he'll be 85 percent at best (being especially bit by the injury bug this year). He's a good piece but one that I'm not sure they keep past next year.

Solly on the other hand...I see dude retaining position just because FO is invested in him being a high-rounder. I think his ceiling has been met and don't see how he contributes much based on what he's done. The FO should move on same as they did with Garnett. I also think they should fall out of love with Stanford. For every Sherm or Decastro out there, there's a Garnett or Jonathan Martin, and in terms of draft pickings, they seem to be on the wrong side of it.

knownone

Reaction score
This is a hard game to break down because on paper (and it pains me to say this) the Niners should absolutely dominate the Ravens.

The Ravens run a fairly simplistic offense that is predicated on the threat of Jackson running to open up literally everything in their offense. Schematically, they are not hard to defend. In many ways, the Ravens are this years Rams, in a similar race against time before teams a) figure out how to best defend their scheme, and b) have experience going against Lamar Jackson so they aren't caught off guard by his speed.

The Niners will try to replicate what Seattle did against the Ravens in October, by stacking the line, stopping the running backs, and forcing Lamar to win with his arm or his legs. Seattle held the Ravens offense to 16 points, running a similar scheme as the Niners with less overall talent. The only way I see the Raven's offense having success is if the Niners are woefully unprepared for Jackson. And worse, I think that Harbaugh will quickly realize he doesn't want Jackson taking the punishment the Niners will dish out when he does run.

As for the Niners offense... The Ravens defense is below average when their team doesn't hold a significant ToP advantage. They are ranked 24th in QB pressures and 24th in run defense. These are the 3 primary indicators of stopping the Niners offense. As long as Jimmy doesn't turn the ball over early, Kyle will figure out the smoke and mirrors of the Ravens defense and gash them for big plays.

I wouldn't be shocked if we're talking about another Niners blowout next Monday. And look, hopefully, I am wrong because I'd like to win the division with minimal anxiety ><. But, this game screams Seahawks VS Niners in 2012 where Kap was lighting the world on fire until he played a team that was so physically dominant that their offense just fell apart. We beat them 42-13 that season. Now, I think Lamar is a significantly better player than Kap, so i'll predict the Niners winning 38-24.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think the digits get smoked in this game. Maybe that’s just my homer Hawks POV but that’s what I’m feeling.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Travel all the way across the country and play at 10 AM is the difference. That and I think Jimmy turns it over twice.
Ravens 26
Niners 20

And yes, that's my Hawks homer speaking.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2cv6kpj1 said:

Gadget offense? It's LITERALLY a power run offense that jams the ball down your throat about 30 times, then tosses in some RPO and misdirection and wrecks house with an athletic QB.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1277r5ih said:
Travel all the way across the country and play at 10 AM is the difference. That and I think Jimmy turns it over twice.
Ravens 26
Niners 20

And yes, that's my Hawks homer speaking.
If you’re setting the over under line of Crappollo turn overs at 2, I’ll take the over! 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
49ers are going to have the same problems they had with us, we will have to see if the officiating is as bias against the Ravens as with us to see how this really plays out. Add a possible weather factor and it could be an issue for the 49ers. They are going to try to pummel Jimmy G given how he performed with pressure and getting hit. Ravens have the speed and physicality to create issues for the 49er offense, Kittle is the wild card in how they defend him, if they can't find that answer expect the 49ers to exploit that all game and run other plays off it. That will be the real question and issue the Ravens will have to find an answer for.

The front of the 49ers on defense cannot just pin their ears back and go, Jackson will run on them, trying to contain the edge and then corral him will take time which he can use to throw and they still have to play the run honest like with us due to Ingram.

The officials are loosening up on contact by DB's as well which favors the Ravens backfield.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Lamar keeps running as recklessly as he has been all season, there's a realistic chance that a 49er might end his season.

I want the 49ers to lose, but if they do win, I hope it's off of a terrible performance by Lamar so the media stops anointing him the Lord of Football and already handing him the MVP trophy. He's heading straight for RGKnee territory if he doesn't start protecting himself.

knownone

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":324il52m said:
5_Golden_Rings":324il52m said:

Gadget offense? It's LITERALLY a power run offense that jams the ball down your throat about 30 times, then tosses in some RPO and misdirection and wrecks house with an athletic QB.
They run a simplistic offense that relies heavily on the threat of Lamar to create space in their running/passing game. If you remove the threat of Lamar running, then their offense would not be effective. They need to fool/scare you in order for it to be effective, so it is kind of a gadget offense.