Gardner Minshew at QB for rest of season

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They're so fortunate they got Minchew after making the Foles decision.

I don't get paying vet quarterbacks big money for second contracts. You'd want to underpay them like Tannehill and get at least that year before deciding to pay them more.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
That’s a no-brainer imho. Play him and see how he does. Find out his strengths and weaknesses.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Should've kept Minshew as starter to begin with. You never now, but he was 4-4 as the starter before getting benched, maybe they'd be 5-7 or 6-6 instead of 4-8. I think he has better intangibles than Foles does at the very least.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I was trying to come up with a good NFL comp for Minshew II, having watched him in college during his magical year at WSU. For some reason, the guys who come to mind are Ken Stabler and Kurt Warner. And maybe let's add in Jim Kelly. Kelly might be the best overall comp.

It was awesome seeing him get his shot at Jacksonville, and disappointing when Foles came back. Great to see him get another shot, and can't wait to see what he does with it. He is just a special player who keeps the game exciting.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I didn't think they should have given up on Foles so soon, especially given that he just recently came back from injury.

chris98251

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3m9na3il said:
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I didn't think they should have given up on Foles so soon, especially given that he just recently came back from surgery.

Could have been Coughlin's influence there, Minshew may be a cheaper option going forward and the team responds to him and he is a fan favorite.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":1k8aimks said:
I was trying to come up with a good NFL comp for Minshew II, having watched him in college during his magical year at WSU. For some reason, the guys who come to mind are Ken Stabler and Kurt Warner. And maybe let's add in Jim Kelly. Kelly might be the best overall comp.

It was awesome seeing him get his shot at Jacksonville, and disappointing when Foles came back. Great to see him get another shot, and can't wait to see what he does with it. He is just a special player who keeps the game exciting.
I think Stabler is your best comp. His arm isn't as good as Warner's or Kelly's though plenty good enough to be an NFL QB. Same could be said about Stabler plus he has that free spirit attitude Kenny had as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's a lot of my take on it too, I know his arm talent is a notch below Warner and Kelly, but he's more mobile and elusive (at this point in his career anyway) so avoiding the sack and buying time is a mitigating factor for him in those comps. However, he has to do better, as he's had too many fumbles thus far. Rookie learning curve

He is also super quick on his thinking and his reads, and generally very careful with the ball, and accurate.

It was so much fun watching him ball out for Wazzu that year; he really has that special, intangible quality. He made so many unbelievable timely, difficult plays for the Cougs against quality opponents, and just as impressive, his receivers routinely made that extra effort to catch his throws, and really made amazing plays for him, and at crucial moments. He somehow elevates the play of his receivers. Special quality in a QB. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with these last few games.