49ers waive K Chase McLaughlin

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/ ... tice-squad

Both Sherm and more seriously Tartt have been hurt, and they might be looking to fill that position with a DB. I get that reasoning, but not getting rid of insurance for a kicker who's been struggling all year, can't make money kicks and that they keep making excuses for declining ability. First it was the LS. Then it was a n/c practice injury. And now, they've waived their insurance policy to keep someone like Dante Pettis around when they could easily IR him.

The confirmation bias is astounding. Some high round picks suck. Some people you pay end up sucking more after they get paid. It means you have to MOVE ON when that happens.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1hgdwzny said:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/20994272/49ers-waive-k-chase-mclaughlin-sign-wr-chris-thompson-to-practice-squad

Both Sherm and more seriously Tartt have been hurt, and they might be looking to fill that position with a DB. I get that reasoning, but not getting rid of insurance for a kicker who's been struggling all year, can't make money kicks and that they keep making excuses for declining ability. First it was the LS. Then it was a n/c practice injury. And now, they've waived their insurance policy to keep someone like Dante Pettis around when they could easily IR him.

The confirmation bias is astounding. Some high round picks suck. Some people you pay end up sucking more after they get paid. It means you have to MOVE ON when that happens.

Chase Mcglaughlin was better than Gould this year overall. But Chase did miss a very key potential game winner that he kicked down the tunnel instead of through the uprights vs. the Seahawks. that was obviously very costly.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
LOL, we all remember that kick.

But still, it left him 75 percent on that game. He's pretty much been perfect after.

I was jealous of you guys having lucked into that guy because so rarely does that happen.

I'd want him here as insurance (we've seen Myers have the yips) if our roster wasn't so tight--Procise is there basically as insurance for us, whereas you guys have not just Pettis but Goodwin in case you were going to bring back Street or Verrett--neither of which were all that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3b9q48mu said:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/20994272/49ers-waive-k-chase-mclaughlin-sign-wr-chris-thompson-to-practice-squad

Matt Flynn doesn't like your post.

Seriously money or not, 9ers cut the wrong kicker. Wonder if evil hoody picks him up?

94Smith

Reaction score
I'll give Robbie Gould the benefit of the doubt. He's been consistent for 14 years. They can always pick up another kicker next year if they need to. It does not make sense to have two on the roster

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3miifz40 said:
SantaClaraHawk":3miifz40 said:

Matt Flynn doesn't like your post.

Seriously money or not, 9ers cut the wrong kicker. Wonder if evil hoody picks him up?

Evil Hoody is probably contacting the Zendejas's to see if they have a son somewhere by now, I think he has went thru 6 kickers now.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":5y6d6ync said:
LOL, we all remember that kick.

But still, it left him 75 percent on that game. He's pretty much been perfect after.

I was jealous of you guys having lucked into that guy because so rarely does that happen.

I'd want him here as insurance (we've seen Myers have the yips) if our roster wasn't so tight--Procise is there basically as insurance for us, whereas you guys have not just Pettis but Goodwin in case you were going to bring back Street or Verrett--neither of which were all that.

I can't believe your kicking game has been any worse than ours. It's been a disaster for the 49ers. Early in the year both the first string snapper and holder were hurt or suspended. We had off the street scrub guys doing the snap and hold. They would literally muff the snap and hold. Can you imagine? For an NFL team. Then Gould got hurt. His quad is injured badly somehow. Strain or pull but pretty bad. He lost all his strength. He is back now but his kicks are super weak. I would not trust him at all on a long kick if you needed it.

In blowouts it doesn't matter. But in close games the 49ers had a chance at least for a game winner against the Seahawks. They missed. The Seahawks went the other way and scored and won the game. They had a long kick with Gould vs. the Ravens which would have put that game into a tie score at 20 to 20. He missed. We lost 20 - 17. The kicking game has been enormously costly to the 49ers. It contributed heavily to their 2 losses so far. A lot of their wins were blow out wins where the kicking doesn't come into play as much.

I would not trust this 49ers team if my life depended on it if it comes down to a kick in the playoffs in a very close game at the end. They have been trouble and disaster all year long. I don't see much evidence to have confidence if it comes down to that.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":2ntr6w7l said:
Everyone seems to have kicking problems, unless your kicker is named Justin Tucker.

Tucker looks amazing to me. He seems to hit long, deep kicks even in cold driving rain storms. Plus they are right down the middle. I would love to have a kicker like him. He is not effected by the cold weather where it is tougher to kick long or by a high pressure situation when you really need the kick to win.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1a7k2zci said:
Maulbert":1a7k2zci said:
Everyone seems to have kicking problems, unless your kicker is named Justin Tucker.

Tucker looks amazing to me. He seems to hit long, deep kicks even in cold driving rain storms. Plus they are right down the middle. I would love to have a kicker like him. He is not effected by the cold weather where it is tougher to kick long or by a high pressure situation when you really need the kick to win.

He's the best kicker in football. Period.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":6vttyynw said:
SanDiego49er":6vttyynw said:
Maulbert":6vttyynw said:

He is really amazing. Which makes their team even more deadly than they already are in the playoffs or big games in close games at the end. I would love to have a kicker like that. We have nothing like it. Trust me.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3pqjs10z said:

Actually they might be opening the IR return window for DE/DT Kentavius Street.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1tgk4yx9 said:
I can't believe your kicking game has been any worse than ours. It's been a disaster for the 49ers. Early in the year both the first string snapper and holder were hurt or suspended. We had off the street scrub guys doing the snap and hold. They would literally muff the snap and hold. Can you imagine? For an NFL team. Then Gould got hurt. His quad is injured badly somehow. Strain or pull but pretty bad. He lost all his strength. He is back now but his kicks are super weak. I would not trust him at all on a long kick if you needed it.

Regardless of how 9er media spins that Gould is healthy/you can't have two kickers on your 53, and NOT calling out Gould on that missed 51 yard FG, regular fans see it differently (see comments in the OP link).

That kick was severely short. It barely hit the EZ. The Gould apologists cite the block attempt, but again, weaker kicks make that play more possible. Had they gotten that one, they would have gone to OT.

They opened the practice window for IR'ed DL Kentavius Street: https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12 ... claughlin/ That's who would take the roster spot. He's been out on knee issues for two years since being picked by them in the fourth round. Most people are wondering how they still have this guy, but whatever.

I've admired Shanalynch's depth decisions all season. But this is stupid to cut McLaughlin with only four games left when they could IR Pettis for the roster spot. KS has been telling media since SEA that he's disappointed in Pettis, hasnt put Pettis in games and is unconcerned about Pettis coming back after his practice injury. They aren't gonna keep him, and unlikely they can even trade him.

Meanwhile, looks like they gave the Patriots a freebie.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... ing-issues

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":3cia3xb0 said:
SanDiego49er":3cia3xb0 said:
Maulbert":3cia3xb0 said:

Where'd you find that avatar pic?

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":1r9xc5i8 said:
Maulbert":1r9xc5i8 said:
SanDiego49er":1r9xc5i8 said:
Maulbert":1r9xc5i8 said:

Don't tell him, he will only make something stupid with it and then post it here.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":8xcy6dmk said:
Maulbert":8xcy6dmk said:
SanDiego49er":8xcy6dmk said:
Maulbert":8xcy6dmk said:

Seahawks Twitter. Both it and Russell Wilson's Twitter are using it as profile pics. I just thought it was funny.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":3nzmk7fo said:
Washington49er":3nzmk7fo said:
Maulbert":3nzmk7fo said:
SanDiego49er":3nzmk7fo said:

Don't tell him, he will only make something stupid with it and then post it here.

The Baby Yoda pic has been floating around for two weeks now. I'm a bit surprised 49er fans hadn't already jumped on it. Besides, who cares?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":14alvrwl said:
SanDiego49er":14alvrwl said:

Regardless of how 9er media spins that Gould is healthy/you can't have two kickers on your 53, and NOT calling out Gould on that missed 51 yard FG, regular fans see it differently (see comments in the OP link).

That kick was severely short. It barely hit the EZ. The Gould apologists cite the block attempt, but again, weaker kicks make that play more possible. Had they gotten that one, they would have gone to OT.

They opened the practice window for IR'ed DL Kentavius Street: https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12 ... claughlin/ That's who would take the roster spot. He's been out on knee issues for two years since being picked by them in the fourth round. Most people are wondering how they still have this guy, but whatever.

I've admired Shanalynch's depth decisions all season. But this is stupid to cut McLaughlin with only four games left when they could IR Pettis for the roster spot. KS has been telling media since SEA that he's disappointed in Pettis, hasnt put Pettis in games and is unconcerned about Pettis coming back after his practice injury. They aren't gonna keep him, and unlikely they can even trade him.

Meanwhile, looks like they gave the Patriots a freebie.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... ing-issues

um, what?

Who is "most people"? LOL.

Niner fans know exactly who he is and where he's been. He had a torn ACL when he was drafted and had a setback after preseason games.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":1jhm9453 said:
chris98251":1jhm9453 said:
Washington49er":1jhm9453 said:
Maulbert":1jhm9453 said:

The Baby Yoda pic has been floating around for two weeks now. I'm a bit surprised 49er fans hadn't already jumped on it. Besides, who cares?

I asked because I saw it earlier on Webzone but wasn't going to go back to the first time it was posted to see who posted it. Thought maybe it was Maulbert.

That's all, nothing more.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
OK some people on the Webzone know who he is.

But TBF people expected Taylor and Hurd. And once it became obvious they wouldn't go, there was more buzz around Verrett.

Even Wikipedia, which usually carries at least college stats, has barely any idea of who he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentavius_Street

But anyway. He's a DE, Shanalynch feels they need the depth there, can't blame them for that. But you already saw KS's press transcript (https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/ ... e-shanahan). He all but said he's done with Pettis there and was keeping him virtually out of games even before the injury.

They carried an inactive QB3 through this year, but in a year of instability for Gould, they shredded not only their insurance but also someone young (23) who was already performing for them when they didn't need to do that.

ETA: I thought the Yoda pic was actually the Hobbit. It's what certain fans have referred to RW as for years.