49ers suspend radio analyst Tim Ryan

Mizak

Reaction score
BRADENTON, Fla. -- The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... n-comments

A racist in 49er land eh?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I shacked a thread about this just now, because while the headline is racial, you gotta look at what was said:

"He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said during the interview. "I mean, you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point, and if you're a half step slow on him in terms of your vision forget about it, he's out of the gate."

Dude is in broadcast booth, raining, and doing it in live time. The football would have been harder to see for that and the reasons he said. It was factual, but he still shouldn't have said it for obvious reasons.

Sometimes people misspeak, he apologized and hopefully people don't go Cosell on him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mizak":2wtiy7lv said:
BRADENTON, Fla. -- The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... n-comments

A racist in 49er land eh?
:shock:

Can’t wait for the Niner’s “clever trolls” spin on this.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Really this is dumb. Would it be better not to say that? Sure. Could you word that a more careful way that would sound better? Possibly. But I don't think the intention here was to be racist by that announcer. With a darker uniform for the Ravens that would be more similar to the ball perhaps. Possibly that could make it more difficult to see. It's less contrast. The argument is not completely invalid. It's just one of those things that is typically better not to say. Some of it is the uniform. I don't know if it is so much his skin. But more the dark uniform.

I do lose track of the ball big time when Lamar Jackson does his fake hand offs and pulls it back and keeps it. Some of that is because he is great at the fake hand off. Some is because he moves so quick it's hard to see where the ball is. Some is his dark home uniform. I have a much harder time seeing the ball with that uniform than the same guy with the away jersey. Personally I think it's more his uniform than skin tone.

I don't think the intention was to be offensive. That said we do live in a society where everybody is always walking around on egg shells afraid to say the wrong thing. Which I think is wrong. We have gone so far extreme we police ourselves and others about little minor things or saying something in the wrong way. Who is going to be perfect under that standard? You say things all day long all your life. Sooner or later if you say 10,000 things 1 of those will be wrong. Even if 9,999 are right. Is this the standard? Who can live up to that?

The bottom line is I don't think it was intended to be racist or hurtful. Would it be better not to say that? Yes IMO. Could you say that a much better and more carefully worded way? Yes I think so. To me the issue is a real one though. I think it's much more so the very dark uniforms the Ravens have for home jerseys. I can't find the ball on Lamar Jackson when he is running around. There is no contrast with the jersey. It just hides in there. I see it much more as his jersey than skin tone. But I think the issue is a real one. That being it's hard to find the ball on Lamar. On a 49ers red uniform I can always find the ball and pick out where it is. I have no idea where it is with the Ravens. I think because of the dark jersey and lack of contrast there. I don't really see it as his skin though.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's both factors (uni and skin tone contrast). Plus it's easier to see the football on bigger players regardless of what uni they are wearing.

You could put Kaep (like 2012 Kaep) in the regular or even that reverse-black uni the 49ers sometimes use and b/c of contrast, the football would be more obvious with him. Same with RG3 in his day w/the unis he was using at the time. All fairly similar builds.

The uni, frame size and yes skin tone are part of just contrast. It shouldn't be racial, but it comes off that way.

SeahawkStan

Reaction score
The political correctness of our day is nauseating to us old timers.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seems the only people making it a racial issue is the 49ers.. that in itself should be punishable. Hell, I"ve seen white girls wearing these flesh tone yoga pants and I"m thinking, she forgot her bottoms.. of course I do look to make sure.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SeahawkStan":2vhi8tpa said:

This^

Everyone should go watch Grand Torino with Clint Eastwood

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
My god what an absolute idiot. I don't care if there's any truth to it or not (and I doubt it, considering plenty of dark skinned quarterbacks aren't nearly as good as Jackson is at hiding the ball), it's an absolutely moronic thing to say on the air. Anyone with half a brain ought to realize that kind of comment will only result in bad consequences.

:les:

Washington49er

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3kyvt4c2 said:
Seems the only people making it a racial issue is the 49ers.. that in itself should be punishable. Hell, I"ve seen white girls wearing these flesh tone yoga pants and I"m thinking, she forgot her bottoms.. of course I do look to make sure.

Kinda like most of the people offended by the Washington Redskins are not native Americans

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Washington49er":3s41ryr6 said:
SeahawkStan":3s41ryr6 said:

This^

Everyone should go watch Grand Torino with Clint Eastwood

I loved Grand Torino!

Clint Eastwood's character reminded me of my father and grandfather.

Each generation in my family became a little more PC than the one before, but one thing I admired was the toughness and non-cry baby attitude.

kobebryant

Reaction score
You have to be a real idiot to comment on an athlete's, or anyone's, skin color. Especially given the history of discrimination faced by African American quarterbacks.

He took his role as the "color commenter" a little too literally. What a clown.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":jt7smgds said:

What spin is even needed? It's idiotic to think that the comment is racist. It's a factually accurate statement. Are we going to accuse a hunter of putting camo on his face to hide in a marshy area trying to hunt duck or whatever as "wearing brownface" and being racist?

This crap is going too far. Only morons think any statement that involves skin color is automatically racist.

HEY GUYS, guess what? Black people don't sunburn as easily as white people.

OH MY GOD, I'M RACIST! SHOOT ME!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18gytwih said:
Sports Hernia":18gytwih said:

What spin is even needed? It's idiotic to think that the comment is racist. It's a factually accurate statement. Are we going to accuse a hunter of putting camo on his face to hide in a marshy area trying to hunt duck or whatever as "wearing brownface" and being racist?

This crap is going too far. Only morons think any statement that involves skin color is automatically racist.

HEY GUYS, guess what? Black people don't sunburn as easily as white people.

OH MY GOD, I'M RACIST! SHOOT ME!
I didn’t say it’s racist or not. The Niners org said it was. My post was more about the Niner trolls spinning their wheels.
He shouldn’t have said it, I don’t think he’s a racist, I don’t think he meant it to be racist, I think he misspoke.

As a pigment challenged American I’m offended by your post. :sarcasm_off:

But anytime you want to have a “sunburn off” I will dominate! 8)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2c339l3n said:
I didn’t say it’s racist or not. The Niners org said it was. My post was more about the Niner trolls spinning their wheels.
He shouldn’t have said it, I don’t think he’s a racist, I don’t think he meant it to be racist, I think he misspoke.

Lol - you want to know something messed up? When I was a kid living in Miami, I spent an entire Saturday in a neighbor's swimming pool with their kid who was my age. They were Jewish (as in, from Israel, darker skin) and they never thought to put sunscreen on my white ass. I got the most horrific sunburn, primarily on my back. I couldn't sleep, lay down, or have my back touching anything - not even a shirt, for two days. My mom had to drain pus from all over my back. It was horrible, and I'm at a considerably increased risk of developing skin cancer because of it.

Not accounting for skin color did me a grave disservice that day. I guess I'm racist for saying that, as well! Maybe when I develop skin cancer in my 50s or 60s, the doctors can just tell it to stop being racist and cure me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2be3ysva said:
Sports Hernia":2be3ysva said:

Lol - you want to know something messed up? When I was a kid living in Miami, I spent an entire Saturday in a neighbor's swimming pool with their kid who was my age. They were Jewish (as in, from Israel, darker skin) and they never thought to put sunscreen on my white ass. I got the most horrific sunburn, primarily on my back. I couldn't sleep, lay down, or have my back touching anything - not even a shirt, for two days. My mom had to drain pus from all over my back. It was horrible, and I'm at a considerably increased risk of developing skin cancer because of it.

Not accounting for skin color did me a grave disservice that day. I guess I'm racist for saying that, as well! Maybe when I develop skin cancer in my 50s or 60s, the doctors can just tell it to stop being racist and cure me.
Trust me when I was younger and didn’t give AF or just forgot sunscreen I’d get fried.
I was called “Lobster boy” from my co-workers because that’s how red I’d get. I guess I should have filed a lawsuit too, but that was 30 years ago when I golfed. 8)

253hawk

Reaction score
After hearing him for years on 'opponent audio recap', it's amazing he had that job for as long as he did. Always ripping on opposing players, coaches, fans, cities...just an unprofessional hack.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Political Correctness...
Ruining a community near you.

Maybe we should ask Colin what he thinks. While we’re at it, let’s knock down a few more statues of historic figures. Maybe banish another flag for its use during a coincidental time period but forget about it’s historical significance.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":20okbhtn said:
Political Correctness...
Ruining a community near you.

Maybe we should ask Colin what he thinks. While we’re at it, let’s knock down a few more statues of historic figures. Maybe banish another flag for its use during a coincidental time period but forget about it’s historical significance.
You mean like the historical significance of human beings actually owning other human beings?

Latest posts