Cheaters gonna cheat

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
James in PA":yq572yus said:
https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-cameraman-reportedly-asked-to-just-delete-the-footage-bill-belichick-denies-any-involvement-235522269.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times have they done this stuff? Plus they deflate the ball too. Unbelievable.

Washington49er

Reaction score
I get the hate for the Patriots, but why on earth would they spy on a 1 win team?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Washington49er":2wief5q5 said:
I get the hate for the Patriots, but why on earth would they spy on a 1 win team?
Cheating just comes naturally to cheaters. Think of it like the guy who cheats on his wife for the 11th time, with a woman that clearly is not as attractive as the wife.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
It looks like it was just a film crew filming a Patriots feature called “Do Your Job,” where they follow around an advance scout.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Let me just add “allegedly” to my last post. The explanation could be an elaborate ruse.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Oh god people want to believe. :lol:

The only two relevant details here are (1) they got clearance from the Bengals to do exactly what they were doing ahead of time, and (2) it only became an issue because they were decked out in Patriots gear and someone didn't know it had been pre-approved.

That the videographer isn't offered to delete the footage isn't a smoking gun, it's someone acting reasonably when they're being accused of something based on a mistake.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Popeyejones":34xe70gy said:

The only two relevant details here are (1) they got clearance from the Bengals to do exactly what they were doing ahead of time, and (2) it only became an issue because they were decked out in Patriots gear and someone didn't know it had been pre-approved.

That the videographer isn't offered to delete the footage isn't a smoking gun, it's someone acting reasonably when they're being accused of something based on a mistake.

No they got clearance from the Browns. And then spent the first quarter taping the Bengals sideline and then laid out some cockamamie excuse that it was for a Patriots "do Your Job" production. What does half an hour of the Bengals sideline have to do with anything Patriots?

It's the exact same thing as the spy gate scandal where they had lame excuses when they got caught.

It's all part of the Patriot Way. If you truly believe that the only reason that the Patriots win so much is the genius of Belichek and the magic of Brady, then I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida. They push the limit on everything from spying to shady contracts with their QB.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I am not a film maker but I have yet to see a logical explanation for why if this is a documentary on the Pats scouting why where just film the Bengals' signals? The were doing it for 8 min until getting told to stop. Lots of pop culture jokes come to mind about the excuses:

"Film crew didn't know it was wrong" - reminds me of Costanza pleading ignorance on it being frowned upon when caught having sex in the office with the cleaning lady

The whole idea that the film was being done for a documentary. Sounds like the plot for Argo

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2rpcetpq said:
Popeyejones":2rpcetpq said:

No they got clearance from the Browns. And then spent the first quarter taping the Bengals sideline and then laid out some cockamamie excuse that it was for a Patriots "do Your Job" production. What does half an hour of the Bengals sideline have to do with anything Patriots?

It's the exact same thing as the spy gate scandal where they had lame excuses when they got caught.

It's all part of the Patriot Way. If you truly believe that the only reason that the Patriots win so much is the genius of Belichek and the magic of Brady, then I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida. They push the limit on everything from spying to shady contracts with their QB.

Correct on Clearance from the Browns.

It was 8 minutes of b-roll, not 30 minutes.

Still think this is a non-issue, although that doesn't mean it won't get blown up into an issue, particularly given that punishment in the NFL is conditioned on PR headaches, not crimes.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If the film shows sideline footage and hand signals they better drop the hammer. Like 1 year for BB.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wenhawk":pasd5p77 said:
If the film shows sideline footage and hand signals they better drop the hammer. Like 1 year for BB.

I agree. If there is that find of footage it's damning evidence.

I mean the excuse that they were filming an advance scout (who sits in the press box BTW not on the sideline) and needed some sideline footage for context is ludicrous. Especially since they got permission from the Browns, didn't flip the Browns but filmed the Bengals and actually have the Bengals as an opponent.

It's cheating. But I'm sure they'll spin it into a minor deal.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":25kw6jcr said:
I am not a film maker but I have yet to see a logical explanation for why if this is a documentary on the Pats scouting why where just film the Bengals' signals? The were doing it for 8 min until getting told to stop.]

It's called B-roll, and it's in every documentary film. Your primary footage is the talking head interview with the person, and your b-roll is all the stuff you cut into that, which is what makes your documentary not horribly boring to look at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

In this case, the job of the advance scout is to sit in the press box and watch the other team play, which involves watching the sideline too.

If you're doing a documentary about the job of an advanced scout, the only B-roll you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE is what they're actually looking at when they're doing their job. You're also gonna get b-roll of the outside of the stadium, players warming up, concessions being sold, fans cheering, jets flying over the stadium etc., etc. because that's what B-roll is and how it works.

There's really only three possibilities here:

(1) Week in and week out the Patriots have been pre-clearing a "documentary" on how their advanced scout works with their opponents, and then been using that as sneaky way to film signals.

(2) This hasn't been happening week in and week out, and it was a one time thing to try to get a competitive advantage over the winless Bengals.

(3) People are making a big deal out of nothing because of the Pats history and because everyone hates them.

I'm going with #3 until we have evidence of #1, because #2 is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Heard on the radio it is not expected that the NFL will come down hard on the Pats so long as it checks out that the media dept. and football side of things are basically separate entities.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
OK Popeye, and then Pats use the EXACT SAME EXCUSE that was written about here years ago?

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/i ... iots-apart

Pats agreed this latest taping was wrong and said they'd be taking responsibility.

But OTOH, people are coming out with excuses for them AGAIN, including these:

1) The video crew were "independent contractors" as if that means the Pats were as disconnected as if a random YouTuber had gotten into the press box. The Pats set up the credentialing. The Pats instructed their advance scout to work with them for an interview. Both the employee scout and the "independent" contractors were "doing their job" based on the Pats' direction. They were only THERE because the Pats wanted that.

2) It doesn't matter because the Bengals suck. So did the 9ers last year. If the Pats had done this last year toward the 4-12 9ers, would it have been ok because the 9ers sucked then? Your coach and DC are the same, much of your roster is the same, and now they have intel on both but it shouldn't matter?

The Pats have been skating the "gray area" for 20 years as documented above. They're so petty so as to provide headsets that wouldn't make a JetBlue economy flight. They've got such a rep of delivering warm, late Gatorade to visiting teams so often that they're shipping in $1 soft drinks.

The 49ers immediately provided Tyler Lockett the device he asked to borrow from his hospital bed so he could at least fly home to Seattle. The way Pats see this is that it's a divisional opponent they have to see again so they're not going to help.

Do we really want the NFL to go in BB's tread?

The Patriot Way is just to skate the edge as much divulging less humanity as a collections agent. You can't get them for that, but you can when they go over it.

Someone went over the line here, and that person needs to take responsibility. Robert Kraft has quite the record of shirking responsibility in public even after being caught on tape paying to have his penis serviced. He's not going to throw gamete-inheritor Jonathan Kraft under the bus. BB is next in line and ideally he'd be suspended WITH pay so that Kraft is forced to pay him $40M (or whatever he makes) , for the year he's out. Because if the owner or his child won't take responsibility, the team has to take one for them. That starts with BB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ As I said above, if there's evidence that this wasn't how it has been explained (which all sounds reasonable to me), I'll certainly listen to that.

As for the 4-12 9ers last year, if you told me that the Pats saved their one time in-plain-sight cheating scam to make sure they beat the 9ers last year, I'd laugh my ass off and tell you I won't no part of the bridge you're trying to sell me.

The NFL has the video footage. If it's just b-roll of the sideline, it's a non-issue. If it's a zoomed in 8 minute shot of the d-coordinator giving hand signals, there's you're smoking gun. If that's what it is get back to me, but that the Patriots are decking someone out in Patriots gear to hind in plain sight with a video camera just seems unlikely to me.

Osprey

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1omgmlcl said:
...but that the Patriots are decking someone out in Patriots gear to hind in plain sight with a video camera just seems unlikely to me.
Yeah when they got caught inserting employees into the opponent locker room to steal play sheets they were smart enough to be in plain clothes.