The play refs seem to get wrong the most

James in PA

Reaction score
I see it called wrong EVERY SINGLE WEEK. An offensive player is lunging towards the end zone with the ball in his hand. They stretch out and the ball crosses the line and it’s called a TD. And I say to myself, “something just didn’t look right. I bet his knee hit the ground before that ball crossed.” And 9 times out of 10, that is exact what happens. Yet they give the player the TD almost every time until, of course, replay shows otherwise and the ball gets spotted back on the 1/2 yard line! It just pisses me off how they are always so quick to call a TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popeyejones

Reaction score
It's for two reasons:

(1) You have to simultaneously watch two places at once, which isn't actually humanly possible.

(2) All scoring plays are automatically reviewed whereas outside of the final two minutes (when reviews are at ref discretion) maybe not quite scoring plays are not, which means if you award the TD the correct call will end up being made without a coach having to risk a timeout.

Very close maybe touchdowns being initially called touchdowns is exactly what we want.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Funny, I think the play refs always get wrong is that they almost NEVER call ineligible man downfield on screen passes when it seems to me there is at least one lineman downfield like 70% of the time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gee, it's almost like what I've been saying for the past five years - that software and computers need to officiate games - would help officiating become more accurate. Load the players and field up with more sensors and it's completely doable. I didn't say easy or simple, but doable.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^for down and distance it's perhaps doable.

Not easy and not "we'll all they need to do" but likely possible.

For non-down and distance calls it's not at all possible at this point and likely for a very, very long time.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3udwp5x0 said:

For non-down and distance calls it's not at all possible at this point and likely for a very, very long time.
They really, really ought to implant the balls with censors, but only IF they can be accurate to within an inch.

But that wouldn’t solve every problem, and could create new ones. Just because you know the exact location of the ball doesn’t mean that the player wasn’t down at the point where the sensors say the ball stopped moving forward. Not to mention players will continue to move the ball after the play is over, and of course, what if the sensors are damaged, etc.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":23r7ha30 said:
Popeyejones":23r7ha30 said:

They really, really ought to implant the balls with censors, but only IF they can be accurate to within an inch.

But that wouldn’t solve every problem, and could create new ones. Just because you know the exact location of the ball doesn’t mean that the player wasn’t down at the point where the sensors say the ball stopped moving forward. Not to mention players will continue to move the ball after the play is over, and of course, what if the sensors are damaged, etc.

Yeppppp.

Even down to MM accuracy sensors covering the entire ball and sensors running all the way down the sideline are entirely meaningless.

For that to matter at all you need players' bodies covered in sensors that can measure both horizontal and vertical planes to calculate where the ball was at the precise moment that a body part broke the vertical plane exactly on the ground.

That is perhaps *possible*, but it's absolutely going to cause a whole new slew of problems and claiming it's easy and wouldn't take years to develop and massive changes to uniforms, padding etc is just crazy talk.

chris98251

Reaction score
So have a computer call every penalty on every play, that should be interesting since there is some kind of infraction and a computer can't disseminate if it's affecting play or not it is just a penalty. Guy leaves .0005 micro seconds early on a snap off sides, guy has his hands on the shoulder pads but is not grabbing but the location by program says a hold throw a flag, incidental contact throw a flag etc etc.

NINEster

Reaction score
Intentional grounding to me is called rather infrequently and sometimes in really odd scenarios. Very inconsistent application of the rule it seems.

It seems like 70% of them aren’t called. It doesn’t always have the obvious indicators like false starts and pass interference , yet refs always seem to catch illegal formations, motions, etc.

Then you have perhaps the most unusual intentional grounding call I’ve ever seen, which was the very first score of sb46. Brady with a relatively clean pocket launches the ball a good 30-40 yards down the seam incomplete and because there wasn’t a receiver in the vicinity, by the letter of the law it was grounding. Just blew my mind because the spirit of what grounding is wasn’t demonstrated on that play, meanwhile throwing a bullet to your check down’s feet to avoid being in the grasp is totally in the spirit of grounding rules, but isn’t grounding technically.

Some guy won like $80k on that play, betting it as first score of the game. LOL!