Pats Pick Play got flagged twice vs Bills, refs now aware?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone notice... the Cheatriots' pick play/OPI got flagged twice in the Bills game on Saturday. Their little trick where they run a receiver into the path of a defender who is trying to slide over and cover the target player, and cause contact, and take the most likely tackler out of the play.

In one case, it took away a TD, the play where Edelman got flagged for this, and got a near-concussion he went to the injury tent for.

In another case, it took away another big Patriots play. TWICE!! This got called.

Did these refs not get the memo to look the other way on these illegal plays the Patriots seem to run a lot?
I was just so shocked to see it called. Encouraging.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Don't fret. If they make it for another meeting with the Ravens, the refs will once again pretend it doesn't happen.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Impossible. The refs are in on a conspiracy to aid the Patriots, 49ers, Rams, and any other team Seahawks fans don't like.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":10zye934 said:
Impossible. The refs are in on a conspiracy to aid the Patriots, 49ers, Rams, and any other team Seahawks fans don't like.
So you believe there's no officiating bias no matter what, then?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1tqzod1g said:
5_Golden_Rings":1tqzod1g said:
So you believe there's no officiating bias no matter what, then?
Human error mostly, and some bias towards veteran QBs and players refs know well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
So while they got flagged for it twice it means they likely got away with it 8 times.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1hprxf1n said:
So while they got flagged for it twice it means they likely got away with it 8 times.
Like the 2013 Seahawks and defensive holding.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1lqfqb67 said:
Sports Hernia":1lqfqb67 said:
That was just the first time you saw some defenders master the fact that contact is ok as long as it doesn't impede the player's movement.

#StaySalty
#SaltLife

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lgcy0yd said:
5_Golden_Rings":2lgcy0yd said:
Sports Hernia":2lgcy0yd said:
That was just the first time you saw some defenders master the fact that contact is ok as long as it doesn't impede the player's movement.

#StaySalty
#SaltLife
That post was merely to point out the hypocrisy of Seahawks fans who witnessed their team ride uncalled defensive penalties to a Super Bowl, whilst claiming the NFL is in on a penalty conspiracy in favor of every team Seahawks fans don't like. The following season, the NFL made it a point of emphasis to call it, but not until Seattle won a Super Bowl.

:sarcasm_on: Perhaps conspiracy? :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":35kdpry6 said:
Sports Hernia":35kdpry6 said:
Now your team gets away with frequent defensive holding and not a peep out of you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3n8xd1wu said:
RolandDeschain":3n8xd1wu said:
5_Golden_Rings":3n8xd1wu said:
Sports Hernia":3n8xd1wu said:

#StaySalty
#SaltLife
That post was merely to point out the hypocrisy of Seahawks fans who witnessed their team ride uncalled defensive penalties to a Super Bowl, whilst claiming the NFL is in on a penalty conspiracy in favor of every team Seahawks fans don't like. The following season, the NFL made it a point of emphasis to call it, but not until Seattle won a Super Bowl.

Hypocrites like you shouldn’t accuse others of hypocrisy. It’s a bad look, even for you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":377hubnk said:
5_Golden_Rings":377hubnk said:
Sports Hernia":377hubnk said:

#StaySalty
#SaltLife
:snack:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Seahawks run a ton of pick plays.

The Nick Bellore TD last week was a designed pick play.

I don't think you guys actually want the NFL to start enforcing the rules on pick plays.

TBF 9ers fans don't either.

Every fanbase wants their team to get away with pick plays while they're being up in arms about their opponents getting away with them too. It's another example of how fans are overwhelmingly full of crap when they complain about officiating.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":sudluayo said:

I don't think you guys actually want the NFL to start enforcing the rules on pick plays.

Every fanbase wants their team to get away with pick plays while they're being up in arms about their opponents getting away with them too. It's another example of how fans are overwhelmingly full of crap when they complain about officiating.
:177692:
LOL, oh my......

The bothsiderism argument. Just stop. :34853_doh:

nanomoz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2cx96bvf said:

Nothing about the Bellore TD was remotely a pick play. It was a complete isolation. You're making shit up. That is, unless you consider Bellore chipping a defender himself before breaking off in a route a pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... t-TD-of-19

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nanomoz":30dcb9l7 said:
Popeyejones":30dcb9l7 said:

Nothing about the Bellore TD was remotely a pick play. It was a complete isolation. You're making $h!t up. That is, unless you consider Bellore chipping a defender himself before breaking off in a route a pick.

I said DESIGNED as a pick play.

It looks like Zeke Turner messed up his coverage rules on the play (why Zeke and Jordan Hicks end up doubling Luke Wilson and then Hicks pulls off because that's obviously not the play design), but even if he didn't, the play is designed with the expectation that Zeke Turner will be going with Bellore out to the flat which is why instead of running a route or ever turning for the ball Malik Turner just runs right at Zeke Turner and then doesn't know what to do when Zeke Turner carries Luke Wilson up field.

It's clearer from the All 22 but even on that first angle you can see that Malik Turner isn't actually running a route and is just going 80% speed to where he's expecting Zeke Turner to be to create the rub point (if it was a clear out he'd be full speed -- clear outs are always full speed whereas picks and rubs usually aren't because you're adjusting the route to disrupt and don't want a full speed collision, which will get called) and keeping the cut right past the goal line, not angling in to the endzone at Zeke Turner).

I hope you can understand that we can legitimately disagree on the play design without me "making sh!t up." :roll:

Or if you're objecting to the fact that the Seahawks, like every team in the NFL, runs pick plays, just say that so I can know it's not even worth engaging in the convo. :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2czcsl29 said:
nanomoz":2czcsl29 said:
Popeyejones":2czcsl29 said:

Nothing about the Bellore TD was remotely a pick play. It was a complete isolation. You're making $h!t up. That is, unless you consider Bellore chipping a defender himself before breaking off in a route a pick.

I said DESIGNED as a pick play.

It looks like Zeke Turner messed up his coverage rules on the play (why Zeke and Jordan Hicks end up doubling Luke Wilson and then Hicks pulls off because that's obviously not the play design), but even if he didn't, the play is designed with the expectation that Zeke Turner will be going with Bellore out to the flat which is why instead of running a route or ever turning for the ball Malik Turner just runs right at Zeke Turner and then doesn't know what to do when Zeke Turner carries Luke Wilson up field.

It's clearer from the All 22 but even on that first angle you can see that Malik Turner isn't actually running a route and is just going 80% speed to where he's expecting Zeke Turner to be to create the rub point (if it was a clear out he'd be full speed -- clear outs are always full speed whereas picks and rubs usually aren't because you're adjusting the route to disrupt and don't want a full speed collision, which will get called) and keeping the cut right past the goal line, not angling in to the endzone at Zeke Turner).

I hope you can understand that we can legitimately disagree on the play design without me "making sh!t up." :roll:

Or if you're objecting to the fact that the Seahawks, like every team in the NFL, runs pick plays, just say that so I can know it's not even worth engaging in the convo. :lol:

No we do / did, Kearse got flagged frequently on them :) That OC is no longer here however, again another of his failed designs to go along with Bubble screens.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1wrk8mlo said:
5_Golden_Rings":1wrk8mlo said:
Sports Hernia":1wrk8mlo said:
Now your team gets away with frequent defensive holding and not a peep out of you.
Lol what? Sherman is called all the time, and on crucial downs.

Sherman is like you guys, though. He thinks it’s a conspiracy: (this is about PI, not holding though; he’s called for holding more than anyone else on the team)

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... -penalties

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/19/ ... guru-says/

I guess it’s a Seahawk thing, this conspiracy stuff. Can’t fully remove the Seattle from Sherman.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1g79eio2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1g79eio2 said:
RolandDeschain":1g79eio2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1g79eio2 said:

#StaySalty
#SaltLife

Hypocrites like you shouldn’t accuse others of hypocrisy. It’s a bad look, even for you.
In what way am I a hypocrite? Am I constantly complaining about penalties on my team, or penalties not called on teams I don’t like, and then claiming it’s a conspiracy?

Or is it that I’ve been remarkably consistent for years on my opinion of Garoppolo, which I’ve proven multiple times with posts from years ago, which you’ve never read so you assume I have NOT been consistent?

Where, pray tell, is the hypocrisy?