Rams are screwed

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised they aren't Front Office of the Year or something. After all, that kind of screw-up is what gets awards just before the shit-show starts. Unlike PC/JS, who just keep plugging away and making the playoffs every year when we are expected by the 'talking heads' to win maybe 4 games.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lyigqnr said:
A little enjoyable Christmas reading for you.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-rams-t ... 45086.html

This is year old plus news, many here said they were a one and done last year if they were lucky after paying everyone plus custodians top contracts and it wasn't sustainable, they then give away draft picks for a another player who is also going to cost big bucks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The draft picks for an overpriced player....that's just plain "ign'ant!" I

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Well, at least your draft picks and cap space.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Astronomical contracts and and a stadium 2X over-budget.

Done. As. Dinner.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
We'll go how Goff goes.

Other issues are completely overblown and we'll still be one of the more talented teams in the NFL next year and the year after.

For all the complaints about the OL, we've been sacked the 3rd least amount in the NFL and have thrown the ball A LOT. McVay and Goff need to iron some things out, and then we have to cross our fingers that he's the guy from last year and not this year.

BTW to all the Niner fans on here - great game Saturday. I'll never look at 3rd and 16 the same again, but Goff and special teams lost us the game.

TAB420

Reaction score
Ramfan128":29sjiyro said:
We'll go how Goff goes.

Other issues are completely overblown and we'll still be one of the more talented teams in the NFL next year and the year after.

For all the complaints about the OL, we've been sacked the 3rd least amount in the NFL and have thrown the ball A LOT. McVay and Goff need to iron some things out, and then we have to cross our fingers that he's the guy from last year and not this year.

BTW to all the Niner fans on here - great game Saturday. I'll never look at 3rd and 16 the same again, but Goff and special teams lost us the game.

From what's being reported through over the cap. You all have 107 mil dedicated to five players,. The salary cap this year was 188 mil with a projected growth of about 7-10 mil next year. That about 90 mil to spend on the remaining 48 players plus practice squad. Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
TAB420":6t3ah1hd said:
Ramfan128":6t3ah1hd said:
We'll go how Goff goes.

From what's being reported through over the cap. You all have 107 mil dedicated to five players,. The salary cap this year was 188 mil with a projected growth of about 7-10 mil next year. That about 90 mil to spend on the remaining 48 players plus practice squad. Does that sound right or am I missing something?

That is correct but it's better to look at the salary cap in its totality.

We have 51 players under contract for next year and a projected total of $24 million in cap space.

Weddle and Matthews - who I personally believe will be cut - could free up another $8 million.

If that were to happen, we'd have $32 million and the following starters would need re-signed or replaced:

Weddle
Matthews
Fowler
Littleton
Brockers

For the defense - Weddle and Matthews haven't been great, and I've been ready for Brockers to be replaced for a few years now. I suspect that either Fowler or Littleton will be re-signed - my personal preference is Fowler, as the Rams have had the best pass rush in the NFL since the Ramsey trade, and Fowler is a big part of that.

We have replacements on hand for Weddle and Matthews in Rapp and Ebukam. Littleton and Brockers, no so much.

Whitworth
Blythe

Only two offensive starters that would be gone - both have been disappointing this year in a major way. This leaves our QB, RB, WR and TE group intact. Our best five offensive linemen would be:

Havenstein - not good this year, injured currently
Evans - rookie, has played well
Edwards - rookie, has played well
Noteboom - went on IR earlier this year, was not playing great, but played well the year before
Corbett - traded from the Browns, has played surprisingly well

Then for depth we would have Brian Allen and Chandler Brewer - both have seen game action but would definitely supplement this group.

So - going back to the defense, we would need to find replacements for Brockers and Littleton, which I believe would be done via cheap vets from free agency.

The offensive line is another story. Goff has been sacked 21 times this year - third best in the NFL among starting QBs. At times they have been dominated (Niners/Steelers) and at times they've looked great (see both games against Seattle). We've invested in the young OL on this team and I'd be fine going with them next year - most of our cap space in FA would go toward the defense, which should be top notch next year. This would have us going into next season with the only questions being Goff and the offensive line, which again, for all its flaws has shown potential this year.

We can also get creative if we want to become a better football team. Most Rams fans probably wouldn't like this:

Nickel Robey-Coleman and Havenstein could be moved to free up more money - both could be replaced internally without too much of a drop off (more true for Hav than NRC). I think both would have some trade value, so we could ship both off for 7th round picks. Once that money was freed up, we could trade either Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp for a good offensive lineman - if we could find a trade partner willing to give up a decent offensive lineman, which would be the toughest part of all this.

TL;DR - the only way the Rams are screwed is if Goff is truly this bad. The Gurley contract is bad for sure, but we can get out of it after 2021 and we have a ton of cap space in 2020 and 2021, so this won't be as big a factor. It's also worth pointing out that with the worst combination of starting QB/OL/RB in the NFL, we've won at least 8 games, maybe 9. Which makes me weirdly confident in McVay. If he and Goff can turn it around, which I expect them to do, we should be able to rebound next year.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I think at this point they will try to flip Ramsey or Goff to free up some cash and recoup a pick or two. Gurley has $37 mil of Dead cap IIRC over the next few seasons so he wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ek2bv1s said:
I don't see anything in your post about a nice, new, fat contract for Ramsey.

Really hoping we sign Fowler.

That's because we have a ton of cap room in future years, so his contract won't affect the cap by itself.

Him, John Johnson and Kupp together will make a sizable dent though.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
2_0_6":3qex6lsj said:
I think at this point they will try to flip Ramsey or Goff to free up some cash and recoup a pick or two. Gurley has $37 mil of Dead cap IIRC over the next few seasons so he wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't think so. Goff was much better down the stretch, and the defense led the NFL in sacks from the time Ramsey came to LA.

We'll just have to let almost all the FAs go this year, and then in the following years we'll have a decent amount of cap space. Especially once we can let Gurley go after 2021.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
justafan":1e5pis0y said:
And topped off with an overrated coach.

Three straight years of having a winning season is not something I take lightly considering what I endured for the 14 years prior to that.

McVay has been calling the right plays for the past 20 games - Goff just hasn't executed.