Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacob Martin, Texans, How's Clowney trade looking now?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I saw that Jacob Martin, who we sent to the Texans, had a sack and a fumble recovery, and at least a couple other pressures in the Texans OT playoff win today. So he's a starter, and having an impact.

    Thus Seattle gets a rent-a-Clowney for a year, and Houston gets a solid and improving DE/LB player who cracks their starting rotation and is under contract cheap for 2 more years.

    When the trade happened, I thought it was an unbelievable coup for Seattle, huge win.
    Now, it seems almost like a wash, given Clowney's injuries, missed games, and questionable contract status for next year, and Jacob Martin starting to flash for the Texans.

    How do we score this trade now, for both teams? Is it a wash, or did Seattle win, or Houston win?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2866
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • olyfan63 wrote:I saw that Jacob Martin, who we sent to the Texans, had a sack and a fumble recovery, and at least a couple other pressures in the Texans OT playoff win today. So he's a starter, and having an impact.

    Thus Seattle gets a rent-a-Clowney for a year, and Houston gets a solid and improving DE/LB player who cracks their starting rotation and is under contract cheap for 2 more years.

    When the trade happened, I thought it was an unbelievable coup for Seattle, huge win.
    Now, it seems almost like a wash, given Clowney's injuries, missed games, and questionable contract status for next year, and Jacob Martin starting to flash for the Texans.

    How do we score this trade now, for both teams? Is it a wash, or did Seattle win, or Houston win?

    Hmmm judging this off of one game?

    Chris Matthews had a great game in XLIX too.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 27203
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • I still think there’s more value in JC.

    I also hope we keep him.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 19854
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • Martin could have broke the sack record and Clowney not play a down in Seattle and it still would have been a good move.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4242
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • Martin is NOT a starter. And he doesn't play the run to anywhere the elite level that Clowney does.

    I'm happy for him, and he's going to be an average player, but a great effort guy and great team guy. I don't think he would have made this team next year.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 19693
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Without Watt, Martin wouldn't have got crap.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1104
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


  • olyfan63 wrote:he's a starter


    Martin hasn't started a single game.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2511
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 2:45 pm


  • Should have given them Collins.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2711
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


  • ivotuk wrote:Martin is NOT a starter. And he doesn't play the run to anywhere the elite level that Clowney does.

    I'm happy for him, and he's going to be an average player, but a great effort guy and great team guy. I don't think he would have made this team next year.


    I agree with you about their respective ability to set the edge and play the run. However, to imply that an edge rusher like Martin might not make the Seahawks, who desperately need that skillset on the field, is absurd.
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1428
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:45 pm


  • xgeoff wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Martin is NOT a starter. And he doesn't play the run to anywhere the elite level that Clowney does.

    I'm happy for him, and he's going to be an average player, but a great effort guy and great team guy. I don't think he would have made this team next year.


    I agree with you about their respective ability to set the edge and play the run. However, to imply that an edge rusher like Martin might not make the Seahawks, who desperately need that skillset on the field, is absurd.


    Yeah i would say the fact that Griffin is playing DE tells me that Martin would have played a ton here this year. I think just about everybody on the board liked Jacob Martin and he has a chance to be a solid player in the league but Clowney is in another world at the moment.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4242
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • Clowney is an amazing run stopper an setting the edge but you rented a guy who has 3 sacks. Tons an tons of injury questions. You may recoup a 3rd round compensatory if Seahawks dont resign him but it turned out to be a pretty even trade. I love Clowney but he’s no sack artist like he was predicted to be
    Bob Loblaw
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm


  • Bob Loblaw wrote:Clowney is an amazing run stopper an setting the edge but you rented a guy who has 3 sacks. Tons an tons of injury questions. You may recoup a 3rd round compensatory if Seahawks dont resign him but it turned out to be a pretty even trade. I love Clowney but he’s no sack artist like he was predicted to be



    Clowney was not predicted to he a sack artist because he never has been one.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 441
    Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 am


  • Martin has 4.5 sacks in his last 5 games. He had 0 on the season before that. He plays around 25% of defensive snaps, and isn't near the run disruptor that Clowney is.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2297
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


  • Rotational edge rusher on 3rd and long vs fulltime DE adept at pass rush and defending the run.

    I'll take the latter.

    And really it was more about replacing Clark than Martin. Rasheem Green has done what Martin was supposed to do so we didn't need someone for that role. We needed a 3 down player at DE. Especially since Ansah was slow coming back from shoulder surgery.

    Given our severe need and how little we gave up, it's still a great trade. We could have been fleeced if HOU wasn't so anxious to get rid of Clowney.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1726
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am




It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: SchadyHawk and 51 guests