Jacob Martin, Texans, How's Clowney trade looking now?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I saw that Jacob Martin, who we sent to the Texans, had a sack and a fumble recovery, and at least a couple other pressures in the Texans OT playoff win today. So he's a starter, and having an impact.

Thus Seattle gets a rent-a-Clowney for a year, and Houston gets a solid and improving DE/LB player who cracks their starting rotation and is under contract cheap for 2 more years.

When the trade happened, I thought it was an unbelievable coup for Seattle, huge win.
Now, it seems almost like a wash, given Clowney's injuries, missed games, and questionable contract status for next year, and Jacob Martin starting to flash for the Texans.

How do we score this trade now, for both teams? Is it a wash, or did Seattle win, or Houston win?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
olyfan63":72gmolh2 said:
I saw that Jacob Martin, who we sent to the Texans, had a sack and a fumble recovery, and at least a couple other pressures in the Texans OT playoff win today. So he's a starter, and having an impact.

Thus Seattle gets a rent-a-Clowney for a year, and Houston gets a solid and improving DE/LB player who cracks their starting rotation and is under contract cheap for 2 more years.

When the trade happened, I thought it was an unbelievable coup for Seattle, huge win.
Now, it seems almost like a wash, given Clowney's injuries, missed games, and questionable contract status for next year, and Jacob Martin starting to flash for the Texans.

How do we score this trade now, for both teams? Is it a wash, or did Seattle win, or Houston win?
Hmmm judging this off of one game?

Chris Matthews had a great game in XLIX too.

getnasty

Reaction score
Martin could have broke the sack record and Clowney not play a down in Seattle and it still would have been a good move.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Martin is NOT a starter. And he doesn't play the run to anywhere the elite level that Clowney does.

I'm happy for him, and he's going to be an average player, but a great effort guy and great team guy. I don't think he would have made this team next year.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Without Watt, Martin wouldn't have got crap.

xgeoff

Reaction score
ivotuk":1f9qfrfn said:
Martin is NOT a starter. And he doesn't play the run to anywhere the elite level that Clowney does.

I'm happy for him, and he's going to be an average player, but a great effort guy and great team guy. I don't think he would have made this team next year.

I agree with you about their respective ability to set the edge and play the run. However, to imply that an edge rusher like Martin might not make the Seahawks, who desperately need that skillset on the field, is absurd.

getnasty

Reaction score
xgeoff":3gegq1w9 said:
ivotuk":3gegq1w9 said:

I agree with you about their respective ability to set the edge and play the run. However, to imply that an edge rusher like Martin might not make the Seahawks, who desperately need that skillset on the field, is absurd.

Yeah i would say the fact that Griffin is playing DE tells me that Martin would have played a ton here this year. I think just about everybody on the board liked Jacob Martin and he has a chance to be a solid player in the league but Clowney is in another world at the moment.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Clowney is an amazing run stopper an setting the edge but you rented a guy who has 3 sacks. Tons an tons of injury questions. You may recoup a 3rd round compensatory if Seahawks dont resign him but it turned out to be a pretty even trade. I love Clowney but he’s no sack artist like he was predicted to be

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1ritxa7y said:
Clowney is an amazing run stopper an setting the edge but you rented a guy who has 3 sacks. Tons an tons of injury questions. You may recoup a 3rd round compensatory if Seahawks dont resign him but it turned out to be a pretty even trade. I love Clowney but he’s no sack artist like he was predicted to be

Clowney was not predicted to he a sack artist because he never has been one.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Martin has 4.5 sacks in his last 5 games. He had 0 on the season before that. He plays around 25% of defensive snaps, and isn't near the run disruptor that Clowney is.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rotational edge rusher on 3rd and long vs fulltime DE adept at pass rush and defending the run.

I'll take the latter.

And really it was more about replacing Clark than Martin. Rasheem Green has done what Martin was supposed to do so we didn't need someone for that role. We needed a 3 down player at DE. Especially since Ansah was slow coming back from shoulder surgery.

Given our severe need and how little we gave up, it's still a great trade. We could have been fleeced if HOU wasn't so anxious to get rid of Clowney.