Marvin/Niner fans about Green Bay

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What did you guys do to win over Green Bay? What do you think we need to do to win in Green Bay? Honest answers...not a BS thread.

SF49r

Reaction score
They run the exact same offense as us so it was pretty simple for our D to shut them down

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2sxslkh4 said:
What did you guys do to win over Green Bay? What do you think we need to do to win in Green Bay? Honest answers...not a BS thread.
Took their offensive line and wide receiver's respective lunch money until the Packers' defense began to slowly crack.

olyfan63

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2rewmdyw said:
Seahawkfan80":2rewmdyw said:
Took their offensive line and wide receiver's respective lunch money until the Packers' defense began to slowly crack.

I didn't watch the game, but my first guess was your talent-laden DL dominated their OL.

Let me guess... and then your running game wore them down, and hit some big plays on downfield shots, and then your running game ran over them some more? :sarcasm_on: Wow, I've never heard of a team doing that as an an offensive strategy! :sarcasm_off:
I had heard there was this mythical team in South Alaska that was rumored to run that kind of offense, though.

Not sure our defense has the healthy athletes to do that to GB. Nor our offense. We'll see what Pete, Schotty and Norton come up with.

rlkats

Reaction score
Stop the run and get Erin "cry baby" Rodgers on the ground. When he gets hit, he turns into a giant B

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
olyfan63":3awjcdzl said:
5_Golden_Rings":3awjcdzl said:
Seahawkfan80":3awjcdzl said:

I didn't watch the game, but my first guess was your talent-laden DL dominated their OL.

Let me guess... and then your running game wore them down, and hit some big plays on downfield shots, and then your running game ran over them some more? :sarcasm_on: Wow, I've never heard of a team doing that as an an offensive strategy! :sarcasm_off:
I had heard there was this mythical team in South Alaska that was rumored to run that kind of offense, though.

Not sure our defense has the healthy athletes to do that to GB. Nor our offense. We'll see what Pete, Schotty and Norton come up with.
A lot of it was coverage too, however, if I recall correctly.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Our defense was just a lot better and as others said we just shut them down. It was at a point in the season when we had more healthy guys on defense. Then we got injured more. Now we actually have some guys coming back for the playoffs and are actually getting more healthy.

But to sum it up it was the pass rush getting to Rodgers. A pocket QB with some mobility but nowhere near Russell Wilson or Lamar Jackson. Rush Rodgers and get to him. That would be my advice. Easier said than done. But if you can you have a chance to win. That's how we did it in large part.

Marvin49

Reaction score
This is tough to answer. Green Bay doesn't intimidate me. At all.

Rodgers has had issues with SF ever since Harbaugh. Niners own them.

In terms of specifics, Niners crushed them with pass rush. Rodgers holds the ball and he isn't mobile enough to escape anymore. Teams have given Niners D trouble with mobile QBs and by using quick screens. Essentially, they have been trying to beat the rush.

For whatever reason, GB didn't or couldn't do that. They were all over GB all night.

They run an offense similar to the Rams and Niners, so there shouldn't be a lot of mystery there, but LeFleur isn't Shanahan/McVay.

On D, they are great on the edges. Wilson will get pressured and he'll have to move his launch point. That ain't an issue for him though. The Packers actually did get to Garoppolo several times. They had to take Skule out at LT and replace him with Brunskill.

I really don't know what to expect.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":3br5s2bv said:

In terms of specifics, Niners crushed them with pass rush. Rodgers holds the ball and he isn't mobile enough to escape anymore. Teams have given Niners D trouble with mobile QBs and by using quick screens. Essentially, they have been trying to beat the rush.

For whatever reason, GB didn't or couldn't do that. They were all over GB all night.

They run an offense similar to the Rams and Niners, so there shouldn't be a lot of mystery there, but LeFleur isn't Shanahan/McVay.

On D, they are great on the edges. Wilson will get pressured and he'll have to move his launch point. That ain't an issue for him though. The Packers actually did get to Garoppolo several times. They had to take Skule out at LT and replace him with Brunskill.

Brunskill is so much better than that scrub Skule.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
As Marvin suggests in that Green Bay doesn't intimidate us I would say the NFL is a match up game. More so than anything. Some teams just match up really well against others. Regardless of record or anything. Just the way team A matches up against team B can be favorable sometimes. I feel the same as Marvin. Green Bay is not that intimidating. Not to us at least. We seem to match up really well against them.

Where your Seahawks match up super well against us and almost always seem to give us your absolute best game. Or strangely the Arizona Cardinals match up really well against you. Not a great team overall. But they are 5 - 2 in their last 7 tries at your house (Arizona Cardinals). Some teams just match up well against another team. I have no idea how it will work out for you but the Packers don't intimidate me as much as some teams in this playoffs based on match ups.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Despite the grudge against the Packers from the 90s for 49ers fans, looks like they want the Packers to win over us. No surprise. :)

ClarkForTheWin

Reaction score
The Packers will beat the Seahawks in the snow not because they are the better team but because PC game plan won't work. They have no run game and you need a run game in bad weather. Russell Wilson will try to keep it close but it won't happen.

Packers and 49ers in the NFCCG !

Cyrus12

Reaction score
ClarkForTheWin":2f1grabz said:
The Packers will beat the Seahawks in the snow not because they are the better team but because PC game plan won't work. They have no run game and you need a run game in bad weather. Russell Wilson will try to keep it close but it won't happen.

Packers and 49ers in the NFCCG !
Good thing there will be no snow! Hawks at home vs the Vikings.

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":23hfkbk2 said:

I thought that sack and first turnover on Aaron on the first play of the game set the tone of the game. Aaron was under a ton of pressure and the 49er offense was scoring at will. My advice is (as everyone said) pass rush and coverage against Green Bay, they can't really run the ball well for some reason. On defense same thing, they seem weak defensively against the run, Wilson is both runner and passer and will give Green Bay some headaches (like we had against him). Overall, I think Seahawks have a better than good chance of beating Green Bay if they play *up* to the competition.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":rubolr9p said:
Despite the grudge against the Packers from the 90s for 49ers fans, looks like they want the Packers to win over us. No surprise. :)

Well, couple things on that.

1) I'm not entirely sure that's true
2) If it is, both Seahawks games came down to the final play this year. Niners beat the Packers 37-8. Which team would YOU rather play?

For me, I'm not looking ahead. Vikings can beat the Niners. I won't even let myself think about preferred opponent in NFCCG because they haven't even secured their own spot in that game.

As for the Packers grudge match? That kinda died a long time ago when Kap ran for 160 and then the following year when they went into GB and won again. After that game, the 'hawks effectively ended the Harbaugh Niners run in the NFCCG.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":6wa59wsy said:
RolandDeschain":6wa59wsy said:

2) If it is, both Seahawks games came down to the final play this year. Niners beat the Packers 37-8. Which team would YOU rather play?

For me, I'm not looking ahead. Vikings can beat the Niners. I won't even let myself think about preferred opponent in NFCCG because they haven't even secured their own spot in that game.

As for the Packers grudge match? That kinda died a long time ago when Kap ran for 160 and then the following year when they went into GB and won again. After that game, the 'hawks effectively ended the Harbaugh Niners run in the NFCCG.

Wouldn't it be delicious if that's the way it ended again, this year?

This time, what would Uncle Sherm say if we beat them? If we had a brash young defender, saying in a monotone this time, "You try me with a sorry receiver, this is what you're gonna get." Or if this happened in reverse?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2g8zy7pj said:
Marvin49":2g8zy7pj said:
RolandDeschain":2g8zy7pj said:

Wouldn't it be delicious if that's the way it ended again, this year?

This time, what would Uncle Sherm say if we beat them? If we had a brash young defender, saying in a monotone this time, "You try me with a sorry receiver, this is what you're gonna get." Or if this happened in reverse?

"Delicious" Isn't the word I'd use.

:D

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jw9nkx5 said:
RolandDeschain":3jw9nkx5 said:

Yeah, "grudge against the Packers from the 90s for 49ers fans" isn't something I've heard referenced or acknowledged by 9ers fans in forever.

What's most remembered from that era by 9ers fans I'd guess is The Catch 2 when the 9ers beat the Packers in the 98 season.

The grudge 9ers fans still hang onto from the 90s is the Cowboys, and there's nothing that's even worth mentioning in second place IMO.

If anything I think 9ers fans underestimate the Packers, not get up for playing them.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":clj3q9fk said:
RolandDeschain":clj3q9fk said:

We probably beat the Vikings. But nothing is a guarantee. You still have to go out and win the game. The Seahawks play us like it's the Super Bowl every time they play us. We can handily beat the Packers. The NFL is a match ups game. We match up much more favorably against the Packers. With the Seahawks both teams can win. Yes we can win. So can the Seahawks. If the football Gods ordain it the better path obviously for us is to see the Packers in the NFC Championship game if we get past the Vikings. Yes Seattle is capable of winning against the Packers too. But I think the Packers have a little bit of an advantage in this one. Lambeau is a much tougher home field than Philadelphia and they are way less beat up than the Eagles. Also Aaron Rodgers is a far cry from a 40 year old backup QB.