One stat that ticks me off

cymatica

Reaction score
Watching the Ravens Titans game. Earl Thomas got a sack and they said his only sacks of his entire career came this year with the Ravens.

I love the Hawks, but hearing stuff like that really frustrates me. How can you have one of the best and fastest free safeties in the safeties in the NFL for almost a decade and not figure out something creative in your scheme to use his talent to get a sack?

The most frustrating thing to watch with this team is how vanilla they are, with a few exceptions, on both sides of the ball. You can't argue with Pete's success, but I can't help but wonder how much better his team could be with just a little more creative scheming

rcaido

Reaction score
HOF safety and complains about sacks...wow

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it's more symptomatic of the Ravens using him incorrectly.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rcaido":31jrc5pt said:
HOF safety and complains about sacks...wow
No, he's complaining about Pete Carroll being "vanilla"

UK_Seahawk":31jrc5pt said:
I think it's more symptomatic of the Ravens using him incorrectly.
This or vanilla usage by Pete? Hmmmm..............
It could in all fairness also mean they've not gotten the pass rush from their front four that the Hawks did when Earl was here or that Seattle prefers blitzing a 230 lb. Linebacker rather than a 180 lb. Safety

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Lol. It's the fact he never had a single sack, when he has incredible speed. Not that difficult to grasp

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
cymatica":o8eoh2ty said:
Watching the Ravens Titans game. Earl Thomas got a sack and they said his only sacks of his entire career came this year with the Ravens.

I love the Hawks, but hearing stuff like that really frustrates me. How can you have one of the best and fastest free safeties in the safeties in the NFL for almost a decade and not figure out something creative in your scheme to use his talent to get a sack?

The most frustrating thing to watch with this team is how vanilla they are, with a few exceptions, on both sides of the ball. You can't argue with Pete's success, but I can't help but wonder how much better his team could be with just a little more creative scheming
Go root for another team so you don’t have to criticize then. Another team that is so much better. :roll:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
cymatica":3aa7ftyw said:
Lol. It's the fact he never had a single sack, when he has incredible speed. Not that difficult to grasp

Incredible speed used to cover a thumping fee safety and cornerbacks who played at the line of scrimmage.

Equally not thst difficult to grasp.

I mean it's interesting. Weird thst it would piss you off.

JGreen79

Reaction score
cymatica":5c1nz88d said:

Instead the speed was used to create the legion of boom. You dont have the dominance of the legion of boom if Earl isn't back there.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Hawksfan yes, I was referring to vanilla. You can still have a great defense and thelegion of boom with some ET rushing the qb once in a while. I just thought it was pretty sad hearing that stat.

I guess I should have made a "Pete is God he can do no wrong" thread

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qm9g1dc said:
cymatica":1qm9g1dc said:

Incredible speed used to cover a thumping fee safety and cornerbacks who played at the line of scrimmage.

Not one sack in about 7 years for a player like that is frustrating to hear. I'm not really pissed off, that was just a quick reaction

knownone

Reaction score
The Ravens disguise coverages and us exotic blitz packages in an attempt to confuse the QB. When you do that kind of stuff, you leave yourself vulnerable to having your secondary out of position. Earl's best attribute is his ability to take away the deep ball, so why would you blitz him? The fact that every QB in the league knew what Seattle was doing on defense and still couldn't move the ball is what made them so good.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
knownone":3qwwejn2 said:
The Ravens disguise coverages and us exotic blitz packages in an attempt to confuse the QB. When you do that kind of stuff, you leave yourself vulnerable to having your secondary out of position. Earl's best attribute is his ability to take away the deep ball, so why would you blitz him? The fact that every QB in the league knew what Seattle was doing on defense and still couldn't move the ball is what made them so good.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good Pete is vanilla rant.
Oh and btw, the Titans are more vanilla on O than Seattle ever has been. They line up in the I and hand Henry the ball to win football games.

Jimmys and Joes trump Xs and Os

bmorepunk

Reaction score
On that second Titans TD, Earl Thomas had the under safety assignment, bit up underneath a few yards on the play action, then started to cover Henry as he was coming out of the backfield. Raymond ran right past Thomas since he was playing shallow, the CB got toasted. The other safety playing deep couldn't make up the ground because he's not Earl Thomas.

This is the sort of thing we saw when the LOB gave up big plays over the top; typically Thomas in those situations Thomas and the CBs screwed up an assignment or Thomas wasn't playing deep. If you pull Thomas up to the line of scrimmage you're making tradeoffs, and Carroll apparently doesn't like to make those tradeoffs much.

You can do a lot more in the end zone like they did and take less risks and that's when Thomas got his sack last night. But the Seahawks were really good at keeping teams out of the end zone with that dude back there, and the Ravens' scheme gave up four TDs last night. Carroll's boring defense may have been boring, but it seemed to work pretty good, at least for awhile with those personnel.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
cymatica":3b07hr4l said:
Uncle Si":3b07hr4l said:
cymatica":3b07hr4l said:

Not one sack in about 7 years for a player like that is frustrating to hear. I'm not really pissed off, that was just a quick reaction

You were frustrated at ET's Hall of Fame career with Seattle?

Surely you can see that they never used him to rush the QB, and probably because they never needed to

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1a3g2h4f said:
cymatica":1a3g2h4f said:
Uncle Si":1a3g2h4f said:
cymatica":1a3g2h4f said:

You were frustrated at ET's Hall of Fame career with Seattle?

Yes, I'm frustrated with ETs hall of fame career. :roll:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Didn’t see a lot of play action deep TDs to the middle in Earl’s hawks career under Pete’s scheme either.