Browns hire Minnesota OC

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Browns gonna Browns...........

I just don't see this guy as being anything. But hey, when you're a complete dumpster fire of a franchise nobody worth a shit wants to be your HC

Guess this leaves Josh McDaniel out in the cold?

Mizak

Reaction score
He’ll be fired in 1 year like always when it comes to the Browns Organization.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's hilarious that at the end, not one of the four teams with vacancies picked McDaniels.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What's odd is that Stefanski was seen almost as a puppet to Gary Kubiak..

Browns maybe hired the wrong guy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3vwobxk5 said:
Kubiak doesn't want to be a HC anymore: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... e-anymore/

Apparently, the hire comes from Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, an Harvard stathead whose experience before the Browns was all in MLB. DePodesta also is on the Sears (as in Sears Roebuck) BOD.

I guess my point here is that if the Browns are looking at the Vikings offense as an example of Stefanski's strength, they may not be getting the full picture.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I agree. The Vikings O can't really be evaluated without looking at Kubiak's part in it, but if that were true, they'd be locking in Kubiak right now.

Overall, the Haslams just bounce from one "star" strategy to another. This stat/BOD guy's hire. Dorsey. Kitchens. Mayfield. Manziel. They get that they've been told to stay with one strategy, so now their idea is to put it into an MLB guy's hands to whom,now, their GM and HC will have to answer to while shouldering the blame for mismatched "star" players thrown together on a team who all individually look like they're out for themselves.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Looks like Belichick messed with McDaniels' interviewing: https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/bill-b ... nterviews/

I strongly dislike McDaniels, but if he wanted to leave this year, he should have gotten himself fired or quit rather than hang on to the hope that BB would "someday" turn over the reins. Hoodie already has said he won't be retiring anywhere near his 70th birthday. He just happens to need to use McDaniels to try to squeeze another year or two out of Old Man Brady so that when that fails, Hoodie won't be to blame.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1zsly0ro said:
Looks like Belichick messed with McDaniels' interviewing: https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/bill-b ... nterviews/

I strongly dislike McDaniels, but if he wanted to leave this year, he should have gotten himself fired or quit rather than hang on to the hope that BB would "someday" turn over the reins. Hoodie already has said he won't be retiring anywhere near his 70th birthday. He just happens to need to use McDaniels to try to squeeze another year or two out of Old Man Brady so that when that fails, Hoodie won't be to blame.
Well all major vacancies are now closed for NFL HC positions. If McDaniel's really wants out or even to spite BB he could always try and find a HC job in college ball.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
McDaniels still believes, though.

He still believes that if he sticks around for one year, two more that magically a GOAT franchise is gonna get handed to him with all the powers that be. He was named as the presumptive HC of the Colts last year. If he'd just made that one decision in September to encourage Vinitieri to retire, put him on IR, whatever, they're in the playoffs with a QB he trained.

He had a chance to prove he was more than the failed authoritarian he was in Denver, and he just whiffed. It just makes McDaniels look weak, tethered to a one-trick pony show in Brady, waiting for a chance that won't come even if he squeezes one last playoff season with him.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":jdgn5pv7 said:
McDaniels still believes, though.

He still believes that if he sticks around for one year, two more that magically a GOAT franchise is gonna get handed to him with all the powers that be. He was named as the presumptive HC of the Colts last year. If he'd just made that one decision in September to encourage Vinitieri to retire, put him on IR, whatever, they're in the playoffs with a QB he trained.

He had a chance to prove he was more than the failed authoritarian he was in Denver, and he just whiffed. It just makes McDaniels look weak, tethered to a one-trick pony show in Brady, waiting for a chance that won't come even if he squeezes one last playoff season with him.
I think you're right. Last year was his chance to take the Colts job and make it his own, start fresh, instead he blew them off and left Indianapolis at the alter to stay in Belichick's shadow.

I think the other franchises didn't trust him, backing out of Indy coming back to haunt him in my opinion. Now? Well maybe BB will be gone in 1-3 years, but Brady won't be there anymore, or I highly doubt it. You really wanna tether yourself to that legacy in the sense of trying to continue that dynasty? It'll only lead to his inevitable ruin.