Perennial playoff teams .

xray

Reaction score
Is making post season on a regular basis ; but not advancing deep ; more frustrating than not making post season at all ? Speaking for myself...I never lose sleep about not making the playoffs ; but not advancing deep with the opportunity bugs the chit out of me .

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
getnasty":1qfvwk4j said:
How long have you been a fan?
Since 1976 the beginning...back when the Hawks never made the playoffs...when a team is in a playoff groove year after year they must seize the opportunity ; because it can always go back to the days of drought . Other teams and fans have gone through the same blown chances .

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, making the playoffs every year is a lot better than going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 and getting crap draft picks every year.

getnasty

Reaction score
sutz":1tyh2l3p said:
Meh, making the playoffs every year is a lot better than going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 and getting crap draft picks every year.

No question, that's why i asked how long he's been a fan. Look at the Chiefs they've been close for a lot of years and now there in. You don't have to tank to be a contender again.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Consistently making the playoffs is as good as it gets in the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
32 teams try to make it as a Champion every year, your as good as your Owner, GM, scouts and Coaches, then players and health, and some luck of officials and bounces.

That's a lot of moving pieces, to get to the second layer as in the playoffs every year is a great accomplishment, your at least in the dance, the above situations start all over again once you get there. We have had 3 chances in our history, there are teams that would sell their souls for what we have done and are doing.

Be happy your team is relevant, you could be the Lions, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, who went once or Jets who have not been there since what 1969 or Bucs who were one and done with Gruden. Chargers even have had good teams but no rings, there is a lot out there worse.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
So wild card playoff entries are good enough ? Don't put the bar too high . Is that what Wilson meant when he used the term " underachieving this year " ?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
For me, making the playoffs just means I get to see my team for some more games. But it's not a big deal in itself.

ivotuk

Reaction score
xray":251eswza said:
So wild card playoff entries are good enough ? Don't put the bar too high . Is that what Wilson meant when he used the term " underachieving this year " ?

Why would you say the above when everyone here wants to win the Superbowl every year?

The route you are recommending means never having a shot. Where would Eli Manning be today if they said "Well, 9-7 ain't that great, let's bow out."?

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
ivotuk":2qe08u36 said:
xray":2qe08u36 said:

Why would you say the above when everyone here wants to win the Superbowl every year?

The route you are recommending means never having a shot. Where would Eli Manning be today if they said "Well, 9-7 ain't that great, let's bow out."?
You miss my point entirely. What I am saying is that the windows of opportunity in the NFL open and close without notice.
I feel that the Hawks have had numerous opportunities in the last decade to establish a dynasty and never got there . I think the Hawks have failed to take advantage of all the chances they have had in the playoffs . With a QB like Wilson ' the Hawks should have had 3 SB rings by now . Most fans feel the same . Some of the complacent fans feel that if the Hawks are better than the Lions or Browns we should be happy . I'm not one of those ...that's all .

getnasty

Reaction score
xray":tzk9moz4 said:
ivotuk":tzk9moz4 said:
xray":tzk9moz4 said:

You miss my point entirely. What I am saying is that the windows of opportunity in the NFL open and close without notice.
I feel that the Hawks have had numerous opportunities in the last decade to establish a dynasty and never got there . I think the Hawks have failed to take advantage of all the chances they have had in the playoffs . With a QB like Wilson ' the Hawks should have had 3 SB rings by now . Most fans feel the same . Some of the complacent fans feel that if the Hawks are better than the Lions or Browns we should be happy . I'm not one of those ...that's all .

With a QB like Wilson they should have 3 SB? So Peyton Manning should have like 8 then give Dan Marino 6, Drew Brees should have 5 and let's give Aaron Rodgers 4. Unfortunately having a good quarterback doesn't always equate to championships and even if it did he's not the on good QB playing in the league today.

getnasty

Reaction score
Everybody wants to win the SB and if you care at all about the Hawks your heartbroken when the season comes to an end without one. Fans aren't complacent, they understand it's hard to be good for a lot of years but also anything less then a SB is still a dissapointment.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
xray":1dv5fobb said:

Since Pete Carroll came to the Seahawks only one team has won more than one Super Bowl. If your point is that the Seahawks aren't the Patriots, sure.

The Seahawks are one of only four teams to have even appeared in more than one Super Bowl. Are you saying that you think 49ers fans and Broncos fans have had it better than Seahawks fans this decade? I doubt that. We're back to just the Patriots again.

The Seahawks are also tied for second place behind the Patriots in playoff appearances since Pete Carroll became head coach. Are you saying Steelers fans and Packers fans have had it better than Seahawks fans this decade? I doubt that too. We're back to just the Patriots again.

To be on the same page, we need to be on the same page, and make clear that your objection is a simple one, and is that the Seahawks are not the Patriots.

The "complacency" comparison isn't "hey we're not the Browns!", it's "Hey, by any objective measure we're the second best team of the decade, and while we're not the Patriots, we've had more sustained success than anyone who isn't the Patriots."

It's true that the Seahawks aren't the Patriots, but to that, the fanbases for the other 30 teams in the league say cry me a river. A lot of Seahawks fans say that too because they recognize how well they've had it: the best, they've had it the best, save for the Patriots.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I don't know if I can handle another 10 year stretch where this team doesn't make the playoffs. I'll take any playoff game, no matter how this team got there. Every time.

chris98251

Reaction score
So if your kid doesn't get straight A's or acing every test with no wrong answers every year you going to throw him out of the house for not meeting your expectations also ?

sdog1981

Reaction score
The NFL is set up as a boom or bust league. If Robo-Tron 9000 (The most logical AI of all time) was the GM of an NFL team it would go 0-16 every year until the team gathered enough talent to go 16-0 every year.

However....

The NFL is not a logic-based league, so winning 11 to 13 games a year is the best a team can hope for with a good QB.

JGreen79

Reaction score
xray":pkjgbe71 said:
ivotuk":pkjgbe71 said:
xray":pkjgbe71 said:

The only team that is not New England to come close to a dynasty in the last decade is Seattle.

Aaron Rodgers and the Packers haven't made the Super Bowl in nine years and even have gone through a coaching change.

Giants made the playoffs once since winning in 2011.

49ers collapsed in on themselves with Harbaugh, may be coming back though for next decade.

Panthers can't even get back to back winning seasons.

Falcons made it once, but haven't done anything since.

Eagles the same thing

And the Rams made the playoffs twice but not much to show for it.

Two NFC teams have won the conference title more than once in the last 10 years. If being one of those teams is failing to you, I'm not sure you have a realistic measure of success.