Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy G

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Jimmy G
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:36 pm
  • QBR= 69.5 bad Jimmy. :49ersmall:
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Re: Jimmy G
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:37 pm
  • TAB420 wrote:QBR= 69.5 bad Jimmy. :49ersmall:

:D
    So he really is Crapollo. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 pm
  • I doubt they can win a sb with him at the helm. They have a few good seasons left but he is not a qb that inspires confidence .
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:57 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:QBR= 69.5 bad Jimmy. :49ersmall:

:D
    So he really is Crapollo. 8)

:2thumbs:
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:02 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:I doubt they can win a sb with him at the helm. They have a few good seasons left but he is not a qb that inspires confidence .

Garoppolo is solid, but he doesn't strike me as the type to elevate his teammates. Not a joke, between Kittle, their running game, that D, and the midseason acquisition of Sanders, I think they could've gotten to the Super Bowl with Nick Mullens at QB. I mean, I don't think they could've done that with anybody, but Mullens could've played as well as Garoppolo this year.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:28 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:I doubt they can win a sb with him at the helm. They have a few good seasons left but he is not a qb that inspires confidence .

Garoppolo is solid, but he doesn't strike me as the type to elevate his teammates. Not a joke, between Kittle, their running game, that D, and the midseason acquisition of Sanders, I think they could've gotten to the Super Bowl with Nick Mullens at QB. I mean, I don't think they could've done that with anybody, but Mullens could've played as well as Garoppolo this year.

Been saying that since last year, but was told by the “clever Niner trolls” I was wrong.
    I think they bet on the wrong horse and their ego’s won’t let them admit they were likely wrong.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 pm
  • The good news for the 49ers is that they can ride out next season with him without a massive risk of dead cap space after that; it's a really cheap cut given the cost of the contract, but they front loaded the dead money.

The Rams, on the other hand, are stuck with Goff through next year unless they can trade him. Then they get reasonably big dead cap hits, but it would be over $50 million this coming season.

Russell Wilson has stupid high dead cap numbers through 2022. But he's Russell Wilson.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:01 pm
  • He might want to consult with Russell Wilson. Taking a sack rather than throwing the ball out of fear of a sack for a loss supports the mandate of taking care of the football. Helps minimize interceptions and boosts quarterback ratings.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:46 pm
  • Jimmy ain't it, I'm done with him. Give me a QB that can actually escape the pocket and throw a decent deep ball.
    SF49r
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:05 pm
  • SF49r wrote:Jimmy ain't it, I'm done with him. Give me a QB that can actually escape the pocket and throw a decent deep ball.

Well, we ain’t giving you Dangeruss. ;) :sarcasm_on:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:42 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    SF49r wrote:Jimmy ain't it, I'm done with him. Give me a QB that can actually escape the pocket and throw a decent deep ball.

Aww pretty please lol :P
    SF49r
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 pm
  • SF49r wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:
    SF49r wrote:Jimmy ain't it, I'm done with him. Give me a QB that can actually escape the pocket and throw a decent deep ball.

Aww pretty please lol :P

Snowballs, hell, etc.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:09 pm
  • Anyone else find it hilarious how Niner fans have turned so hard on him? Not even a week ago he was god's gift to football. Now he was solely responsible for their 4th quarter collapse. :lol:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:15 pm
  • I've always been hard on him with his ability to extend plays and throwing a consistent deep ball. Those flaws cost us this game. Please don't associate me with the other homer fans. The plays were there, Shanny called a decent game and Jimmy didnt deliver. It is what it is though.
    SF49r
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm
  • SF49r wrote:I've always been hard on him with his ability to extend plays and throwing a consistent deep ball. Those flaws cost us this game. Please don't associate me with the other homer fans. The plays were there, Shanny called a decent game and Jimmy didnt deliver. It is what it is though.

I don't think he's a bad QB, I just think he's a guy that will rise or fall to the talent around him. He's Tony Romo, he's Matt Hasselbeck, he's Rich Gannon. He's never going to be the piece that gets you over the hump, but if everything else is firing on all cylinders, that won't matter. That was the 49ers this year to a T. The minute they needed to rely on him, he couldn't get the job done. But for 2 and 3/4 playoff games, that didn't matter.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:27 pm
  • Nick Mullens will be the starter by week 6. Book it!
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 pm
  • This is the kind of thing that can break a QB for the rest of his career, sometimes. I'll be curious to see how he looks next season.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:17 pm
  • Continued this particular thought here, it's a better fit...
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:Jimmy G wasn't good enough when it counted.

That's a very polite way to put it. Seems to me, he had MULTIPLE epic meltdowns in the heat of the moment right near the end.

Jimmy G Meltdown Meter, how do I love thee... Let me count the ways...
    Shall we tally it up here, or does a play-by-play, group-sourced Meltdown Meter deserve its own thread? I mean, it could be pretty delicious to list them out, play-by-play.
    A tabular format like below, chronological. Times I put in below were made up examples. His final pick barely counts, since the game was over at that point, but, why not, let's include it; after all, any truly great QB would have scored a TD in garbage time.

--TIME-- / --PLAY--
    <4Q 6:03> Jimmy G goes to throw to Kittle in the flat gets it batted by Jones...
    <4Q 5:45 > Jimmy G overthrows an open Deebo Samuel on a slant
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm
  • This really puts it into perspective. Jimmy GQ definitely lost it more than anyone else for the Niners.

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm
  • Can one imagine the result if Wilson had that kind of time?
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 pm
  • Jimmy had a very Trent Dilferesque run this year. Too bad the 49ers weren't the 2000 Ravens and he wasn't playing Kerry Collins in the Super Bowl. Otherwise he'd be a Super Bowl winner too.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Jimmy had a very Trent Dilferesque run this year. Too bad the 49ers weren't the 2000 Ravens and he wasn't playing Kerry Collins in the Super Bowl. Otherwise he'd be a Super Bowl winner too.

Go back and look at Dilfer's line the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl. That Ravens team might've gone undefeated with just competent QB play. Dilfer was utter garbage, and only took over the job because Tony Banks was worse. Jimmy G, while not great, is better than Dilfer was.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 pm
  • TAB420 wrote:QBR= 69.5 bad Jimmy. :49ersmall:

Mahomes was 78 not even avg.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 pm
  • This may be controversial...

But JG needs more time to be fully judged. He's not really played many games, in reality.

He didn't deserve the hype. But his performances shouldn't be judged on that hype either.

I think next year is a big year for him. He will need to show mote growth or things may start to turn on him.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:This may be controversial...

But JG needs more time to be fully judged. He's not really played many games, in reality.

He didn't deserve the hype. But his performances shouldn't be judged on that hype either.

I think next year is a big year for him. He will need to show mote growth or things may start to turn on him.

I agree completely; and I also agree with what someone else said. I don't see Jimmy G ever being an "elite" QB, but a very good QB is entirely possible, perhaps even a few pro bowls. I don't think he has the late game nerves needed to be very clutch, but if he's mentored right?

Someone mentioned Hasselbeck and IDK if anyone is aware of this, but at the time he left the Seahawks, and finished his career wherever he did, he was top twenty all time in many stat categories. I think Hasselbeck could have been even better than he was, had he been brough into it in another situation, but he was pretty good. Maybe not "elite" but nobody can deny the Walrus did a hellof a job making a starter out of him.

I hate to admit it, but the more I see of him, the more I worry how good he can be. I'm more on the Jimmy G bandwagon now than I was when he beat us last. I do think if handled correctly he could be a thorn in our side for years. Let's hope the Niners blow it and he moves on if he is gonna become a very good QB. I think other than late game nerves, he has the ingredients, I mean can anyone really argue that it's impossible he imroves a lot, based on what he's accomplished so far? :141847_bnono:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am
  • He's Jared Goff. He has a solid O-line and will shred you if he's protected but falls apart under pressure and is not so clutch.
    whidbeast
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:24 am
  • Just for the record...

Since Niner fans are being accused of jumping ship on Jimmy G, I'm not.

Did he play well in the SB? For stretches? Yes. Did he make the plays he needed to make in the end? No.

I agree with Si. I've been saying all along that this was Jimmys first full year as a starter. NEXT year is the big year. It was Ryans second year in that system when he exploded.

I don't expect Ryan-like improvement, but a full off-season with no rehab? Getting another weapn at WR (I'm guessing Sanders will be elsewhere...they like Hurd, Pettis probably be traded/released, and Goodwin will be released.

They won't leave him with only Samuel for next year.

I'm not going to excuse him for not playing well in the SB, but I'm also not gonna crucify him when they were basically 6 minutes from a title.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:15 pm
  • SeAhAwKeR4life wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:This may be controversial...

I agree completely; and I also agree with what someone else said. I don't see Jimmy G ever being an "elite" QB, but a very good QB is entirely possible, perhaps even a few pro bowls. I don't think he has the late game nerves needed to be very clutch, but if he's mentored right?

Someone mentioned Hasselbeck and IDK if anyone is aware of this, but at the time he left the Seahawks, and finished his career wherever he did, he was top twenty all time in many stat categories. I think Hasselbeck could have been even better than he was, had he been brough into it in another situation, but he was pretty good. Maybe not "elite" but nobody can deny the Walrus did a hellof a job making a starter out of him.

I hate to admit it, but the more I see of him, the more I worry how good he can be. I'm more on the Jimmy G bandwagon now than I was when he beat us last. I do think if handled correctly he could be a thorn in our side for years. Let's hope the Niners blow it and he moves on if he is gonna become a very good QB. I think other than late game nerves, he has the ingredients, I mean can anyone really argue that it's impossible he imroves a lot, based on what he's accomplished so far? :141847_bnono:

I agree with Si and Marvin. More time to determine whether he can get better decision making when in more harsh situations.

Hass finished off where there was no Luck available. :twisted:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 pm
  • Agree with all you guys. He is capable of winning a title if he developes. Unlikely he'll ever put a team on his back in the playoffs tho
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:48 pm
  • Everyone trying to make out he's some kind of rookie, hes not being paid like that. He plays scared and pads his stats with YAC. I hope he stays at the whiners for a long time.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm
  • Any QB is capable of winning a title if they develop enough. Dude's ridden the pine for several Super Bowls and started in one, and he fell apart at the end last Sunday like he just entered the NFL.

I'm far from convinced he'll ever be a clutch QB; but time will tell.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:05 pm
  • In fairness to all...the defense didn't defend a 10 pt lead either .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:44 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Just for the record...

Since Niner fans are being accused of jumping ship on Jimmy G, I'm not.

Did he play well in the SB? For stretches? Yes. Did he make the plays he needed to make in the end? No.

I agree with Si. I've been saying all along that this was Jimmys first full year as a starter. NEXT year is the big year. It was Ryans second year in that system when he exploded.

I don't expect Ryan-like improvement, but a full off-season with no rehab? Getting another weapn at WR (I'm guessing Sanders will be elsewhere...they like Hurd, Pettis probably be traded/released, and Goodwin will be released.

They won't leave him with only Samuel for next year.

I'm not going to excuse him for not playing well in the SB, but I'm also not gonna crucify him when they were basically 6 minutes from a title.

The thing is, I don't think Jimmy played well at all in the SB. That game was the perfect embodiment of what I've been saying all season. Jimmy puts up good numbers when the screen game and play action are working. The moment he has to drop back and pass, he's average at best. He's the very definition of a game manager.

Seriously, 60% of the Niners passing yards come after the catch which puts them 6th in the NFL with 2205 Total YAC. That is only 70 yards from first place. This is where it gets crazy, all of the teams ahead of the Niners have 125-150 more passing attempts. This, along with his average pass distance (6.6) good for 27th in the league, paints a picture of a QB whose stats are actually inflated relative to the league average QB. Oh! and that'st just an average based on all 16 games. If you factor out his 3 games against against bottom 3 defenses (Arizon twice, Cinci), his overall QB rating and DVOA fall to 17th, between Case Keenum and Phillip Rivers.

This is honestly a testament to how good Kyle Shanahan.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26 pm
  • I think he is still lacking confidence in that knee, he was more mobile prior to the injury. Having been through a torn ACL I can tell you it took me at least a couple years to really feel comfortable doing the things I did prior to the injury. Not being mobile is causing him to become Capt. one read, he missed a lot of open guys.

I think next year will be the real test, if he is still not mobile and able to move out of the pocket and allow his receivers to create space I think the 49ers should move on.

The 49ers need to beef up that O-line as well.

KS needs to develop more of a killer instinct and work on his clock management.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:32 pm
  • xray wrote:In fairness to all...the defense didn't defend a 10 pt lead either .

So you don't find it odd there were 0 holding calls on KCs Oline, especially when Bosa was clearly being held on that 48 yard completion on 3rd and 15?

I am all for letting them play but it has to go both ways.

All week long and especially evident during the game is was clear who the league wanted to win that game.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:
    xray wrote:In fairness to all...the defense didn't defend a 10 pt lead either .

So you don't find it odd there were 0 holding calls on KCs Oline, especially when Bosa was clearly being held on that 48 yard completion on 3rd and 15?

All week long and especially evident during the game is was clear who the league wanted to win that game.

So the league wanted KC to win over a “legacy team” in the Niners????? Really???
    As your sig says “Nope”.

There were bad calls and bad “no calls” on both sides, they let them play.

Your team had a 10 point lead with 7 minutes left, they choked.
    Your play by play guy with 11 minutes left said, 11 minute countdown to #6 (Lombardi’s)

Watch the Baldy Breakdown video that Roland posted up thread.

The moment got too big for your QB, and your head coach (again)!

Face it, They turtled!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:11 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

So the league wanted KC to win over a “legacy team” in the Niners????? Really???
    As your sig says “Nope”.

Your play by play guy with 11 minutes left said, 11 minute countdown to #6 (Lombardi’s)

Face it, They turtled!

Don't you have a tin foil hat to press?
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

As your sig says “Nope”.

Face it, They turtled!

Translation: You’re 100% correct SH, I have no rebuttal.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:27 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:

There were 5 penalties called against the Whiners to 4 called against KC. They were hardly being unfair. Why don't you blame your vaunted defense for giving up 3 touchdowns in a little over 5 minutes? You had a 10 point lead, and you blew it to a team who has consistently come back from them this season. Grow up.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm
  • Oh man, there goes the attack-a-niner fan dogpile.

I can entertain the idea that Bosa may have been held on that key play. Just like I can entertain the idea that Golden Tate may have committed OPI on the All-Packers-Failed-Mary TD *catch* FTW. A GIF or video clip would help on the Bosa thing. However, that would be off-topic in this thread. To receive full and proper ridicule, Washington49er should post a thread like "SB54 Officiating, Game-Steering Calls Favoring KC" or similar. The hold on Bosa absolutely could have happened. Let's see actual evidence. There was also an uncalled delay-of-game IIRC on SF, but no biggie. Maybe a lined-up-offsides on KC that was ignored even. Who needs Dee Ford!

Back on topic. The Jimmy G <-> Matt Hasselbeck comp actually is not a terrible one. Both QBs with some strengths, both with limited mobility and both pretty much wilted when under heavy pressure. Both excelled and had Super Bowl years on a team with an exceptionally strong running game. Jimmy G had the advantage of a much better defense in his SB year. Hass had a very average-but-improving defense, but one that was horribly weakened by key in-game injuries in SBXL. You could argue that JG had a better set of weapons than Hass, with Sanders-Samuel-Bourne-Kittle > DJack-Engram-Jurevicius-Stevens, but in listing it out, it seems pretty close. Hass had a better primary RB, but SF's multi-headed monster had almost as many total rushing yards for the season as the 2005 'Hawks.

Hasselbeck failed under pressure when he tried too hard to make plays that weren't there, and JimmyG failed in a similar way, but with more of an element of $h!t panic involved. In the end, the results were similar, so the distinction isn't that meaningful. I'm thinking perhaps the knee injury and lack of mobility (as WA49er pointed out) is a big factor in the seeming-panic for Jimmy G, in that he has such limited escapability, thus panic ensues.

I think at one point in SB54, Jimmy G had completed close to 90% of his passes, but then the 4th quarter happened. Oops.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:

It totally went both ways. There were several plays where a 49er DLman was lined up way offsides, including one where Mahomes was sacked. (The offsides player was not the one who sacked him, but still...)

Check this out:

https://www.49ers.com/video/49ers-chief ... homes-sack

They don't show the beginning of the play at the start of the video, but go to about 15 seconds in when they replay it. Look how far over the line the left end is....uncalled.
    Torc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

As your sig says “Nope”.

Face it, They turtled!

No, more like your not worthy of anything more.

Cool story though bro!
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 am
  • Torc wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

It totally went both ways. There were several plays where a 49er DLman was lined up way offsides, including one where Mahomes was sacked. (The offsides player was not the one who sacked him, but still...)

Check this out:

They don't show the beginning of the play at the start of the video, but go to about 15 seconds in when they replay it. Look how far over the line the left end is....uncalled.

Yep 91 is clearly lined up in the neutral zone.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 am
  • Washington49er wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:So the league wanted KC to win over a “legacy team” in the Niners????? Really???
    As your sig says “Nope”.

Face it, They turtled!

No, more like your not worthy of anything more.

Cool story though bro!

Thank you, it was a cool story.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 am
  • Torc wrote:It totally went both ways. There were several plays where a 49er DLman was lined up way offsides, including one where Mahomes was sacked. (The offsides player was not the one who sacked him, but still...)

Check this out:

The officiating discussion seemed off-topic relative to discussing Jimmy G, so I gave it a thread of its own, for proper glory and ridicule of calls and call-deniers. Hey, if we can have climate-deniers, for sure there's call-deniers.

SB54 Officiating, Game-Steering Calls Favoring KC?
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163098&p=2382331#p2382331

Let it all hang out there.

P.S. Absolutely not intending to pick on you, Torc.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:41 am
  • I saw that Shanahan did not want to put the game in his QB's hands, he put it in his own.

Reid on the other hand let Mahomes rise and didn't hold him back and he led.

He broke his mold of playing it close in a big game and opened it up the farther into the game they got allowing the Chiefs to get some footing and at the end start making plays and getting confidence, the defense was also showing it in attacking more. Clark was stepping up big time.

That's the control freak coming out in Shanahan, this isn't a shot at the 49ers but more of what I saw, I say that because it has showed it's ugly face here in Seattle as well with Pete trying to play cute and not allow Wilson and the offense to open it up in close games but play not to lose.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 am
  • Washington49er wrote:

Your tears are delicious.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:56 am
  • Washington49er wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

As your sig says “Nope”.

Face it, They turtled!

You say this after saying the below? Hypocrisy at its finest.

HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:01 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:

Your tears are delicious.

He has really exceeded expectations with his whining, and it is great.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm
  • Imagine if the Niners had passed on Sol Thomas and taken Watson or Mahomes in that draft. Scary.
    KinesProf
    NET Bench Warmer

Next

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information