49ers don't think they can afford to re-sign Armistead

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/1 ... ce-report/

The San Francisco 49ers would like to re-sign defensive end Arik Armstead but don't feel that they will be able to, according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN. The fifth-year defender racked up a team-leading 10 sacks this season, not including the two he had in the postseason. He is one of several players scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the new league year on March 18.

"A 49ers source said the team wants to re-sign Armstead," writes Fowler, "but believes he has played himself into big, big money."

San Francisco is projected to have about $12 million in salary-cap space (sixth-least in the NFL), according to ESPN, and have contract extensions for players like tight end George Kittle and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner to consider.

TreeRon

Reaction score
IMO we should consider Armistead and JS probably will.

knownone

Reaction score
This isn't a shock. They have 5 starters hitting free agency and (technically, although 12M is probably more realistic) about $20M in cap space. Armstead is likely looking at a contract north of $15M/Year.

He's kind of a 1 year wonder, and he plays the only position on the DL where the Seahawk's have reasonable depth/potential. Kind of feels like our cap space would be better spent elsewhere.

TreeRon

Reaction score
knownone":20uqsapv said:
This isn't a shock. They have 5 starters hitting free agency and (technically, although 12M is probably more realistic) about $20M in cap space. Armstead is likely looking at a contract north of $15M/Year.

He's kind of a 1 year wonder, and he plays the only position on the DL where the Seahawk's have reasonable depth/potential. Kind of feels like our cap space would be better spent elsewhere.

Curious why you think the Hawks don't need help on the DL while many of us, me included, think the opposite. Even if we sign Clowney, it's basically Poona and him. All the rest are woulda, coulda, shoulda.

rlkats

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ahb902t said:
Sprfunk":2ahb902t said:
Their window is closing already.
And it begins. < insert evil laugh track here >. 8)

He is the one hit wonder that the hawks will sign and ince he sucks (like he did his whole career in SF) you all will cry about it. The guy was good THIS YEAR because of Ford, Bosa and Buckner. To many pass rushers to watch. Before this season Armstead was a bust prospect.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":ycsctxwd said:
Sports Hernia":ycsctxwd said:
Sprfunk":ycsctxwd said:
Their window is closing already.
And it begins. < insert evil laugh track here >. 8)

He is the one hit wonder that the hawks will sign and ince he sucks (like he did his whole career in SF) you all will cry about it. The guy was good THIS YEAR because of Ford, Bosa and Buckner. To many pass rushers to watch. Before this season Armstead was a bust prospect.
It wouldn’t shock me if Seattle signed him, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he sucked.
I wouldn’t cry about it though. 8)

knownone

Reaction score
TreeRon":2ax08nrs said:
knownone":2ax08nrs said:

Curious why you think the Hawks don't need help on the DL while many of us, me included, think the opposite. Even if we sign Clowney, it's basically Poona and him. All the rest are woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Where did I say they didn't need help on the DL? Armstead fills the same role as Green, Collier, and Jefferson. If he gets what he's expected to get in free agency (15-20 million/year), then I don't think he's worth the risk considering what they've already invested into that spot. That doesn't mean I don't think we need help on the DL. I just don't trust that level of investment in a guy who had 9 sacks in his first 4 seasons and suddenly puts up 10 sacks in a contract year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
They could absolutely franchise tag Armstead if they want to: it just means letting Ward and Sanders walk.

Most likely I think is what happened with both Frank Clark and Dee Ford last year, in that they franchise him and then trade him. They need the picks, and they're not going to give 18-22 APY to three people on their d-line. It's just not going to happen.

As for this being a sign of the "decline", LOL.

The 9ers won't go back to the Super Bowl next year because they'll regress to the mean, just as Armstead likely will too.

Anyone who think the 49ers will regress to the mean next year BECAUSE they don't have Armstead next year is delusional.

knownone

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ekt1r1t said:
They could absolutely franchise tag Armstead if they want to: it just means letting Ward and Sanders walk.
I'm genuinely curious, can they tag him if it puts them over the cap? The tag is technically more than the cap space they have.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Armstead fills the same role as Green, Collier, and Jefferson." Like I said Green Collier and Jefferson....woulda, coulda and shoulda.

WE need as close certain compliment to Clowney as we can find. Hoping that someone who's never performed at a high level before will do it in the future doesn't cut it.
If one of those guys steps up next year great, as depth is always important.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
knownone":1w0mpqlg said:
Popeyejones":1w0mpqlg said:
I'm genuinely curious, can they tag him if it puts them over the cap? The tag is technically more than the cap space they have.

The franchise tag is 18 million.

They have a low first round pick and no second or third round pick, so they really only need about 3.5-4 million for their rookie pool.

They currently have 14 million in cap space.

They have another 9 million in cap space from this year that they can roll over to next year.

Cutting McKinnon and Goodwin (both of whom absolutely aren't coming back) saves them another 9 million.

That alone gets them up to 32 million, minus 4 million for draft picks and 18 million for armstead, still leaving 10 million under the cap.

Just to be very clear though, I'm not saying they WILL do this or SHOULD do this, I'm simply saying the COULD do this if they wanted to.

As far as that goes, I don't think they will do this, nor do I think they should do this.

Even if they franchise and keep Armstead it's incredibly unlikely they'll be keeping him long term. The only way they'd do it is if they cut Dee Ford, which I don't they're going to do (even if I think the idea of it is more interesting than the reality of it actually happening). The play, I think, is to franchise and trade Armstead rather than having him for one year. This is still overall a very young team and they're on the low end of the spectrum on "win now" mode (which every team that finishes at .500 or above is in to some degree). They're much better off getting draft picks for long term cost control than getting a one year rental from Armstead IMO, and I think they know that too.

EDIT: And if anyone cares, just saw another take on this, although by the figures being cited it sounds like the idea here is to keep Armstead long term (warning that there is a SERIOUS mismatch between the title of the article and it's actual contents -- if you read the article and what he's proposing the "very different" 9ers team is substantively the exact same 9ers team minus Emannuel Sanders :lol: -- from where I sit the development of Deebo Samuels and Kendrick Bourne, the return of Taylor and Hurd and the chance that Pettis returns to form really, really, really means they don't need to resign a 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders).

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/5/2 ... eam-in-202

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't get all the rhetoric that they're gonna cut Sanders given that he saved their 2019 season. No one knows how Taylor/Hurd is coming back. Last year, the same things were said about McKinnon. Why not attempt to sign Sanders to a team-friendly deal and have him go through camp?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":24eg8wh3 said:
I don't get all the rhetoric that they're gonna cut Sanders given that he saved their 2019 season. No one knows how Taylor/Hurd is coming back. Last year, the same things were said about McKinnon. Why not attempt to sign Sanders to a team-friendly deal and have him go through camp?

That's the rub.

1) They won't cut him...he's a free agent.
2) While he was a boon this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and is slowing down.
3) I think they would look to sign him to team friendly deal, but I have no idea what he wants to do as this is likely his last free agency.

WR is a position they need to improve. Samuel looks like a keeper and I like what we saw in very limited action from Hurd, but I don't think they'll bank everything on Sanders being the #1 WR.

As for all of it falling apart already...lol. You guys are funny. :)

Arik had like 4 or 5 CAREER sacks before this season and so many were calling him a bust. Now its like "OMG, they will lose Armstead...its falling apart!".

I'd like to keep him, but my guess is they won't. I DON'T want them to sign him to big dollars because he has a history of injuries and of so-so play. If he leaves, they still have Bosa, Buckner and Ford. I'm good.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1f7atq10 said:

It's definitely possible and I agree that he played a very big role in a very tough stretch for them, but I think he's likely a luxury they can't afford.

Deebo and Bourne both ate into some of his role as the season progressed, and they have a whole bunch of resources tied into the position that they'd be paying for him to stand in front of.

It's entirely possible that Taylor + Hurd + Pettis collectively don't equal what they get from Sanders, but I think that has to be the dice they're rolling on this one, and in some ways it's dice they've already rolled (if Hurd and Taylor didn't end up on IR they wouldn't have ever had Sanders to begin with, IMO).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":enk7fraa said:
SantaClaraHawk":enk7fraa said:

It's definitely possible and I agree that he played a very big role in a very tough stretch for them, but I think he's likely a luxury they can't afford.

Deebo and Bourne both ate into some of his role as the season progressed, and they have a whole bunch of resources tied into the position that they'd be paying for him to stand in front of.

It's entirely possible that Taylor + Hurd + Pettis collectively don't equal what they get from Sanders, but I think that has to be the dice they're rolling on this one, and in some ways it's dice they've already rolled (if Hurd and Taylor didn't end up on IR they wouldn't have ever had Sanders to begin with, IMO).

I think that's accurate.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TreeRon":2wby79cx said:
"Armstead fills the same role as Green, Collier, and Jefferson." Like I said Green Collier and Jefferson....woulda, coulda and shoulda.

WE need as close certain compliment to Clowney as we can find. Hoping that someone who's never performed at a high level before will do it in the future doesn't cut it.
If one of those guys steps up next year great, as depth is always important.

If you guys go after him, more power to ya.

Armstead is a big dude with power, but he's not exactly a great edge rusher. He got a HUGE benefit from getting singled up all year with Bosa on the other side and rushed from inside quite a bit.

I don't want to make out like he sucks, because he doesn't. He's good. He just isn't irreplaceable and he isn't worth the contract he'll be offered.