Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gurley

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Gurley
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm
  • may be on the block. Should we take a chance?
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Re: Gurley
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm
  • No.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm
  • What? Why?

Knees are shot, he's owed a ton of money and trading for him only helps a division rival.

The only RB I would take a chance on is David Johnson if he's released.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:44 pm
  • Trade for him?

Hell no.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:57 pm
  • No

I would take Derrick Henry, if he was available, and yes, I know he won't be
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 pm
  • He is at best a 5th round trade value if even that due to his contract.

The Rams are eating $h!t on this one.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 pm
  • Jesus, seriously? Of course not! Dude is finished. Arthritis has already ended his career, he just won't accept it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 pm
  • NO !!! That seems to be the consensus of the talking heads.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 pm
  • He maybe on the trading block, but I think that's where he stays.. on the trading block. No team in their right mind will go for it. Of course theirs always the Browns and a few others I guess. Me thinking, the Rams are going to eat this one.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:59 am
  • Hell no..
    His knees are only going to get worse.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:45 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Hell no..
    His knees are only going to get worse.

Gurley is close to being done.

Done as dinner.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 am
  • Seems like there's more to Gurley's downfall that were not hearing about. If the Rams ate all the guaranteed money i might throw them a 4th.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 am
  • getnasty wrote:Seems like there's more to Gurley's downfall that were not hearing about. If the Rams ate all the guaranteed money i might throw them a 4th.

He has an arthritic knee! What more is there to tell?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:44 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Seems like there's more to Gurley's downfall that were not hearing about. If the Rams ate all the guaranteed money i might throw them a 4th.

I don't doubt the knee thing but his usage doesn't make sense to me. It could just be a combo of Mcvey out thinking himself and the knee injury though.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:00 am
  • Even if Gurley was the best HB in the league, he's a $17.25 million cap hit with $25.65 million dead cap cut number in 2020. In 2021 it's $13.2 million/$8.4 million. In 2022 it's $14.2 million/$4.2 million. He'd have to be amazing for multiple years in a row with no problems for this to even be a reasonable discussion, and this last year was not good.

But even if he was blowing it up, that cap hit isn't worth it. QBs are expensive because there are so few good ones and they have to be good and be in for every play. RBs can have specialties, get swapped out during the game, etc. That's not to say if you have a Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson type of player (or maybe Derrick Henry if he keeps it going) who can murder opposing defenses that you don't pay them reasonably well. But a $17.25 million cap hit? Just, no.

Here's a list of the 2020 cap hits for the top 10 backs:

Gurley - $17,250,000
    Bell - $15,468,750
    Johnson - $14,156,250
    Elliot - $10,900,000
    Freeman - $9,500,000
    Fournette - $8,638,907
    McKinnon - $8,550,000
    Barkley - $8,507,659
    McCaffrey - $5,485,872
    Ingram - $5,333,333

Of the $8 million+ cap hits, only Fournette, Barkley, and Elliot rushed for 1,000 yards or more (unless I'm missing something). Everybody else was hurt/not playing well.

Chris Carson rushed for over 1,200 yards. He was fifth in the league. There's enough opportunity to hit on mid to late round (or even UDFA) RBs that you don't have to pay gobs of money to one player this position.

The Rams got themselves into cap hell with Gurley and Goff and their other decisions. Some team may be desperate enough to trade for Gurley, or have enough cap space for a couple of years that they don't care, but the Seahawks shouldn't be one of them, especially since it lets the Rams of the hook on Gurley.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:08 am
  • Huh ?...Nope The Hawks should hopefully be flush @ RB . Fingers crossed on that .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:34 am
  • Side note, McCaffrey is getting absolutely screwed. Carolina should pay him like a QB, since he is their entire offense, and they should negotiate an extension this year, before he hits free agency.

Now that is a guy I would love to pick up.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:06 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:He is at best a 5th round trade value if even that due to his contract.

The Rams are eating $h!t on this one.

Not the only one they're eating $h!t on.

On a side note, how the hell they gonna afford Ramsey?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:54 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Seems like there's more to Gurley's downfall that were not hearing about. If the Rams ate all the guaranteed money i might throw them a 4th.

I don't doubt the knee thing but his usage doesn't make sense to me. It could just be a combo of Mcvey out thinking himself and the knee injury though.

An arthritic knee is not an injury. It's a degenerative condition that will NEVER heal. They were barely using him because every time they do, it will get worse. He's a time bomb.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm
  • No.
    Keyhawk
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

An arthritic knee is not an injury. It's a degenerative condition that will NEVER heal. They were barely using him because every time they do, it will get worse. He's a time bomb.

Ya....his usage was down because they wanted him healthy late in the year for possible run.

That knee is done. Its only a matter of time...and it won't be long.

Feel bad for the guy. Only way I go after Gurley is if its for very little $$$ and no draft compensation...IE, very little to no risk.

RBs are disposable these days. Niners have three. How much you wanna bet three years from now they have three new guys back there performing similarly to these guys.

Rams were way too reliant on a guy without a long career ahead of him.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:12 am
  • Gurley had multiple knee injuries at Georgia.

And then his age...

Why did they give him so much money? Did the think he was Marshawn? :204070:
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:31 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Ya....his usage was down because they wanted him healthy late in the year for possible run.

Feel bad for the guy. Only way I go after Gurley is if its for very little $$$ and no draft compensation...IE, very little to no risk.

RBs are disposable these days. Niners have three. How much you wanna bet three years from now they have three new guys back there performing similarly to these guys.

It was so frustrating when we handed him that contract.

Because 8 games into the McVay era, you could see:

Kupp would cost $10+ million

John Johnson would cost $10+ million

Goff would get "franchise QB" money

Donald would get a record contract

That's just four guys. Over the course of the next two/three years, we've extended Havenstein, Higbee, and acquired/extended Cooks, with Ramsey soon to follow.

All of those in a vacuum are fine - and after 8 games I said "do NOT re-sign Todd Gurley". It was the easiest decision to make and we messed it up.

As a result, this season we may lose either Littleton or Fowler, and if the Rams could snap their fingers and give Gurley's contract to either of them, they'd do it without thinking twice. So frustrating to see something clearly two years ago and have it be flubbed.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:47 pm
  • Gurley would be an interesting player to sign if the Rams cut him. He’s probably only worth $3m/year, and he provides a decent option in the passing game.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    getnasty wrote:

That's just four guys. Over the course of the next two/three years, we've extended Havenstein, Higbee, and acquired/extended Cooks, with Ramsey soon to follow.

All of those in a vacuum are fine - and after 8 games I said "do NOT re-sign Todd Gurley". It was the easiest decision to make and we messed it up.

As a result, this season we may lose either Littleton or Fowler, and if the Rams could snap their fingers and give Gurley's contract to either of them, they'd do it without thinking twice. So frustrating to see something clearly two years ago and have it be flubbed.

I’m not to keen on the cap so I’m wondering if you guys can even afford to tag Fowler at this point, would his cap hold be around 17-19 mil until he’s traded or extended?
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:18 pm
  • knownone wrote:Gurley would be an interesting player to sign if the Rams cut him. He’s probably only worth $3m/year, and he provides a decent option in the passing game.

He's a $17.25 million cap hit next season, with $12.6 million dead cap. I doubt they're just going to cut him and eat it. They better hope they can find a Cleveland or Washington type franchise that sucks enough to trade for him.

The Rams got into cap hell so fast it's surprising.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    knownone wrote:Gurley would be an interesting player to sign if the Rams cut him. He’s probably only worth $3m/year, and he provides a decent option in the passing game.

He's a $17.25 million cap hit next season, with $12.6 million dead cap. I doubt they're just going to cut him and eat it. They better hope they can find a Cleveland or Washington type franchise that sucks enough to trade for him.

The Rams got into cap hell so fast it's surprising.

Well, Gurley's contract was terrible even if he didn't have a bad knee. No running back is worth that money.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:17 pm
  • hburn21 wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I’m not to keen on the cap so I’m wondering if you guys can even afford to tag Fowler at this point, would his cap hold be around 17-19 mil until he’s traded or extended?

Yes. Once the cap increases and if we cut some dead weight, we'll have $25 million in cap space.

If we restructure Goff and push some of his bonus into the next few years, we'll have about $40 million.

But the problem with franchising any player is that he's probably not going to settle for less than that amount going forward - and as much as I like Fowler, he's not worth $17 mil per year.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:04 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information