Colts wanted to draft both Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson in

knownone

Reaction score
It seems like every team was planning to take Russ after the fact.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anybody could say that ..Irsay is a drunk.

HawkGA

Reaction score
In the 90s Cowboys rebuild, they drafted Aikman first overall and then Steve Walsh with the first supplemental pick, if i recall. The idea is to get some competition at QB and make sure you get it right in the rebuild. It's not a bad idea. It's a position that you definitely want to get right. Having a decent backup is good too, but mostly just to throw some talent at the wall and see what sticks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
knownone":av3i14u5 said:

Who beyond the Eagles and now the Colts?

Agreed with HawkGA right above too about this being a good strategy.

I mean heck, this is essentially what the Seahawks did with signing Flynn and then drafting Wilson.

(Flynn got 3 year 26 million dollar deal; for comparison sake Alex Smith was coming off a 13-3 season and NFCCG game as the starter and that same summer signed a 3 year 24 million dollar deal).

Maulbert

Reaction score

knownone

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1d2qmoi1 said:
knownone":1d2qmoi1 said:

I mean heck, this is essentially what the Seahawks did with signing Flynn and then drafting Wilson.

(Flynn got 3 year 26 million dollar deal; for comparison sake Alex Smith was coming off a 13-3 season and NFCCG game as the starter and that same summer signed a 3 year 24 million dollar deal).
The Redskins, Jets, and Panthers all had former executives or coaches come out and say they were planning to draft Wilson. There are even more who've said they liked everything about Wilson but ultimately didn't draft him because of his height.

Maulbert

Reaction score
knownone":1prhbz2v said:
Popeyejones":1prhbz2v said:
knownone":1prhbz2v said:

The Redskins, Jets, and Panthers all had former executives or coaches come out and say they were planning to draft Wilson. There are even more who've said they liked everything about Wilson but ultimately didn't draft him because of his height.

In other words, no one was willing to admit he might've been a generational talent because he wasn't 2-4" taller. Except John Schneider, who, coincidently, is one of the only people who LITERALLY looks up to Wilson.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
HawkGA":37at107i said:
In the 90s Cowboys rebuild, they drafted Aikman first overall and then Steve Walsh with the first supplemental pick, if i recall. The idea is to get some competition at QB and make sure you get it right in the rebuild. It's not a bad idea. It's a position that you definitely want to get right. Having a decent backup is good too, but mostly just to throw some talent at the wall and see what sticks.

Yeah it's a good strategy. The Redskins took RG3 and Kirk Cousins in the same draft. And while it looked like RG3 would be a good QB for a short time, Cousins ended up having the better career. With the importance of QB, it's worth it to take 2 to give you a higher chance of hitting, and if you got on both, you have some nice trade bait. If the Colts had taken both, they could have traded either one for multiple first round picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's odd how this fascination with how tall a guy is will never seem to go away. Russ and Brees should have changed that narrative by now. Oh well, the "experts" have a hard time ever admitting how wrong they were. It's hilarious. Though plenty have owned up to it over the years. You either get it done or you don't. Period.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Maulbert":1mxsqoj3 said:
knownone":1mxsqoj3 said:
Popeyejones":1mxsqoj3 said:
knownone":1mxsqoj3 said:

In other words, no one was willing to admit he might've been a generational talent because he wasn't 2-4" taller. Except John Schneider, who, coincidently, is one of the only people who LITERALLY looks up to Wilson.

Generational talent? Don't get me wrong - Wilson is great and tracking to be a HoF - but if he's a generational talent, what is Mahomes?

And don't forget - the Seahawks also passed on Wilson twice. If they *knew* he'd be this good, they wouldn't have risked waiting until the 3rd round playing the draft board.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ak740to said:
It's odd how this fascination with how tall a guy is will never seem to go away. Russ and Brees should have changed that narrative by now. Oh well, the "experts" have a hard time ever admitting how wrong they were. It's hilarious. Though plenty have owned up to it over the years. You either get it done or you don't. Period.
I do think it's finally changing because of Brees and mostly Russ.
Kyler Murray as the #1 overall shows to me that it's less an issue now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1ocizt5s said:
Maulbert":1ocizt5s said:
knownone":1ocizt5s said:
Popeyejones":1ocizt5s said:

Generational talent? Don't get me wrong - Wilson is great and tracking to be a HoF - but if he's a generational talent, what is Mahomes?

And don't forget - the Seahawks also passed on Wilson twice. If they *knew* he'd be this good, they wouldn't have risked waiting until the 3rd round playing the draft board.
First of all you're flat out wrong about Russ not being generational. All the numbers back me up (tied for most wins first 8 years, 2nd highest QB rating of all-time, etc. etc.). Secondly, Mahomes certainly is as well. You can have 2 at the same time.
As for passing on Wilson twice, that's called doing the draft right. Grabbed another possible HOFer in Wagner and still got their HOF QB knowing the height issue would scare other teams off any earlier.

Me thinks you're jealousy over our 3rd rounder being a near lock for the HOF while your first overall pick continues to have some struggles has made you frustrated.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1xln7v1v said:
Maulbert":1xln7v1v said:
knownone":1xln7v1v said:
Popeyejones":1xln7v1v said:

Schneider wanted to take Wilson early. Pete wouldn't let him, because EVERYONE underestimated Wilson except Schneider and maybe Gruden.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seems people are forgetting the fact that the Hawks signed Flynn right before that draft. There isn’t too many people that expected Wilson to be the starter when he was drafted. You’re probably a liar if you say you knew.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37y2221h said:
Exactly. Like most, as soon as I saw that pre season game, THEN I knew he would be the starter.
It was against the Chiefs. Kellen Winslow and Terrell Owens both played in that game and caught passes from Russell.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3lpzyjt6 said:
SoulfishHawk":3lpzyjt6 said:
Exactly. Like most, as soon as I saw that pre season game, THEN I knew he would be the starter.
It was against the Chiefs. Kellen Winslow and Terrell Owens both played in that game and caught passes from Russell.
Yep, I knew when he looked off a safety and threw a touchdown pass that he was different and special. Rookies don't look off safeties in their first extensive action in the NFL. I literally posted about it the next day here on these forums. I remember I posted about it here on.net The next day while sitting in a Starbucks in Bend while on a motorcycle vacation.