49ers' Raheem Mostert cancels appearance due to coronavirus

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Name one reason why him or anyone else should be attending a large indoor-only event right now here or in Seattle.

There's one good reason not to do it: The less spread, the more time people have to prepare, and the more likely it is for fans and players to be able to attend games without worrying about contagion.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Just a joke..dont blame him I guess. This is just the beginning of this crap...Guessing many sporting events may be cancelled in the upcoming months.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t blame the guy. I wouldn’t fly until this thing is under control.
In Our area this virus seems to be prevalent, or they are just reporting it more than other places.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I've gotta fly - my orders to upstate NY are over at the end of the month and I'm heading home! Then flying once again, to San Diego for a week and then back... Guess I'll buy some rubber gloves for my external threats, and some alcohol-based blood disinfectants for my internal threats. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'd probably elect to wear a mask if I had to fly due to the risk of people coughing on me directly in a recycled-air environment. That and employ some Xanax or pot gummies--your choice--for the flight over to get some ZZZs rather than try to eat anything on it.

The average age of a Levi's season ticket holder is mid-40s. I know many older than that. It makes no sense to have vanity celebrity events when an outbreak is in containment stage when it could theoretically still be contained.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3qtm8hnf said:
I've gotta fly - my orders to upstate NY are over at the end of the percamonth and I'm heading home! Then flying once again, to San Diego for a week and then back... Guess I'll buy hsome rubber gloves for my external threats, and some alcohol-based blood disinfectants for my internal threats. :mrgreen:
Try the full body condom. 8)
Seriously though, stay safe, take whatever precautions you need to.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
PFT posts more details:

The NFL has its first known cancellation due to the coronavirus.

49ers running back Raheem Mostert announced Wednesday afternoon on Twitter that he won’t attend a scheduled appearance at Santa Clara 2020, a sports convention. Mostert is among dozens of current and former NFL players listed on the website with autograph sessions there this weekend.

Terry Bradshaw, Christian McCaffrey, Troy Aikman, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Bo Jackson and Tim Brown are among the other listed participants at the three-day event.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rus-fears/

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I work in downtown Seattle. We've already had one conference and another class cancelled because of it.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Think of how many people ages 60+ or others with immune deficiencies might attend this and put themselves at risk?

Smart move

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, nothing wrong with being safe. Shoot, the jury room w/100+ people waiting to be selected etc. is going to likely be shut down for the next few weeks. That's a lot of people in one room. Regardless if people think that others are being too cautious, it's the way it is going to be for a while.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
2_0_6":1yyucfsu said:
Think of how many people ages 60+ or others with immune deficiencies might attend this and put themselves at risk?

Smart move

People who remember Bradshaw or even Montana games live aren't exactly spring chickens. So yeah.

Hopefully a current player's stance will shake some sense into people. All logic points to the Bay/Sac being in the same position as Seattle.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":vd1as5el said:
Name one reason why him or anyone else should be attending a large indoor-only event right now here or in Seattle.

There's one good reason not to do it: The less spread, the more time people have to prepare, and the more likely it is for fans and players to be able to attend games without worrying about contagion.

I have no issue with someone making that choice.

But we have no idea how long this is going to drag on, so I'll be interested to see how many people start with "not gonna go anywhere with a bunch of people" and then back off because it keeps on through the fall.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":nn74sbbj said:
People who remember Bradshaw or even Montana games live aren't exactly spring chickens......
SIGH. Good Lord I'm getting old I not only remember Bradshaw's games I remember Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Bart Starr etc games and have seen every Super Bowl ever played.

On a serious note CJ McCollum of the Blazers has announced he won't be saying any more autographs for the near future and the team has asked fans to not slap hands with the players as they come off and on the court.

Also Chicago State canceled their trip to Seattle to play Seattle U in a WAC conference game this weekend men's and women's teams.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1mr3hgvo said:
But we have no idea how long this is going to drag on, so I'll be interested to see how many people start with "not gonna go anywhere with a bunch of people" and then back off because it keeps on through the fall.

I'm gonna just ask the "elephant in the room" question:

Let's say it's August, September. Would you go to Hawks games (or 49ers games for the 49ers fans here)?

I'll answer.

I can only afford to watch the Seahawks play SF. For me, having tons of Hawks fans on the VTA all close in yelling Sea...HAWKS and high-fiving was a big part of the experience as was screaming at them on third down. I have no idea how you get through a stadium without close indoor contact, nor how it'd feel to be considered rude for yelling and screaming.

If this was September and I had game tickets, I'd probably eat it. Not put them on Stubhub or here either. Not worth the risk to public health.