Dallas All Pro Center Travis Frederick Retires

ivotuk

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 64/photo/1

I'd never heard of Gillian-Barre Syndrome

Symptoms

Guillain-Barre syndrome strikes quickly. You usually feel it first in your arms and legs. You may notice muscle weakness or a “pins and needles” tingling in your hands and feet, which later moves toward your midsection. You may also feel unusually tired. Your reflexes may slow.

Some people feel only a mild weakness. Others become almost entirely paralyzed and struggle to swallow or breathe. If you feel anything more than mild weakness, you should call 911. Your symptoms can get worse quickly.

Most people are at their weakest 3 weeks after symptoms appear

https://www.webmd.com/brain/what-is-guillain-barre#1

xray

Reaction score
They don't know if it's germ or a virus disease ...been around awhile though . Better party now :irishdrinkers: :0190l:

chrispy

Reaction score
My daughter had GBS and is rehabbing now. We actually missed the SuperBowl this year because we were back in the ER for the third time trying to get it correctly diagnosed. It's actually the same as process as what happens in MS, but GBS affects nerves outside the brain and MS is within. Not a lot is understood, but somehow a person's Immune system recognizes certain of their own cells as an infection and destroys them. So your own protective immune system is causing the damage. It usually results in loss of use and feeling in lower extremities and, depending on how far it goes, other areas. Wtih my daughter, it also affected her face/head/throat. GBS can cause permanent damage if it goes undiagnosed, but is usually expected to be fully recoverable - at least in developed areas of the world. However, it usually takes about a year for the nervous system to adjust to the damage and to re-build the strength that was lost from atrophy during loss of use.

Good news it that it usually gets better. It definitely does cause a reassessment of what's important though. As a person goes from "I feel tingling in my toes" to complete paralysis in about 12 hours, a lot of things that seemed important the day before kind of disappear. I read about Frederick this morning and it sounds like he wants to put family first. Admirable. I hope my 16 yr old's recovery is as successful as his and she can get back to her Water Polo in a year. The upside of CoronaVirus is that, after missing a lot of school, she's almost all caught back up....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chrispy":1r8jc3nv said:
My daughter had GBS and is rehabbing now. We actually missed the SuperBowl this year because we were back in the ER for the third time trying to get it correctly diagnosed. It's actually the same as process as what happens in MS, but GBS affects nerves outside the brain and MS is within. Not a lot is understood, but somehow a person's Immune system recognizes certain of their own cells as an infection and destroys them. So your own protective immune system is causing the damage. It usually results in loss of use and feeling in lower extremities and, depending on how far it goes, other areas. Wtih my daughter, it also affected her face/head/throat. GBS can cause permanent damage if it goes undiagnosed, but is usually expected to be fully recoverable - at least in developed areas of the world. However, it usually takes about a year for the nervous system to adjust to the damage and to re-build the strength that was lost from atrophy during loss of use.

Good news it that it usually gets better. It definitely does cause a reassessment of what's important though. As a person goes from "I feel tingling in my toes" to complete paralysis in about 12 hours, a lot of things that seemed important the day before kind of disappear. I read about Frederick this morning and it sounds like he wants to put family first. Admirable. I hope my 16 yr old's recovery is as successful as his and she can get back to her Water Polo in a year. The upside of CoronaVirus is that, after missing a lot of school, she's almost all caught back up....
Thanks for the info, sounds scary. Wishing the best for your daughters full recovery.

chris98251

Reaction score
chrispy":32yp3fsm said:

Wishing you and her well and a full recovery.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Back in the 80s my across-the-street neighbor got that. He was completely paralyzed after a month or so, and stayed that way for a good six months. Got over it almost a year later, but his muscles were wrecked from atrophy. I wouldn't wish that crap on anybody.