LOL ex-49er Aldon Smith signs with Cowboys

ivotuk

Reaction score
That dude has some serious drinking problems. He's barely been sober a year. After my first year, my brain was still smoked. Takes a long time to recover from years of pickling.

Not to be cruel, or crude, but I don't see him making it another 12 months sober. He's jumping back in to it too quickly. My guess, he needs money to buy alcohol, over a longer period of time. That's what got me sober, I went broke, and went to jail. Except I didn't have an NFL contract waiting for me. Manual labor, 60 hours a week welding and grinding. Shit job. but, part of my recovery.

I feel bad for the guy because people like Jerry Jones don't consider the guys future, or what he might need to stay sober.

But, the WORST thing, on which Jack Del Rio and I agree, is that the NFL won't allow a team to work with a player after they've been suspended! Pete bemoaned this in Josh Gordon's case. NFL teams have a ton of (local) resources that no one else has, and can be instrumental in a player's recovery.

Changes need to be made.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I've known a few who've been able to dial it back enough to get off LE radar and work radar and such but IDK if that's Aldon's situation.

But in any case, dude now hasn't played since 2015. Last time he did, he was teamed with Justin Smith, which boosted his stats. Who knows who the Cowboys have in that position or if he regresses into the behavioral stuff. I mean,with teams now mindful not only of the cap but of not being able to physical their signings into potentially June, this didn't make a lot of sense to me...

Until....

Jim Tomsula is Dallas' defensive line coach now. He was seen as a positive in SF until he was handed HC way too early (if ever) and tanked the team. The year was 2015.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3ox4ob8g said:
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-source-cowboys-sign-de-aldon-smith-suspended-69929526
Jerruh likes his criminals.
Edit: They got JimTom too? LOL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2n2worbp said:
SantaClaraHawk":2n2worbp said:
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-source-cowboys-sign-de-aldon-smith-suspended-69929526
Jerruh likes his criminals.
He does!
People talk crap of Seattle players getting suspended but every single
year there is a repeat offender in Dallas.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ivotuk":49s8uggl said:
That dude has some serious drinking problems. He's barely been sober a year. After my first year, my brain was still smoked. Takes a long time to recover from years of pickling.

Not to be cruel, or crude, but I don't see him making it another 12 months sober. He's jumping back in to it too quickly. My guess, he needs money to buy alcohol, over a longer period of time. That's what got me sober, I went broke, and went to jail. Except I didn't have an NFL contract waiting for me. Manual labor, 60 hours a week welding and grinding. $h!t job. but, part of my recovery.

I feel bad for the guy because people like Jerry Jones don't consider the guys future, or what he might need to stay sober.

Yeah, it's honestly hard to watch this stuff in public. I haven't had any serious issues myself, but watching people who are in the public eye clearly having substance abuse and/or mental health issues is really uncomfortable. A lot of people like to get in on the making fun or deriding them, but I don't fund it entertaining.

Boohman14

Reaction score
ivotuk":1n18pniy said:

Not to be cruel, or crude, but I don't see him making it another 12 months sober. He's jumping back in to it too quickly. My guess, he needs money to buy alcohol, over a longer period of time. That's what got me sober, I went broke, and went to jail. Except I didn't have an NFL contract waiting for me. Manual labor, 60 hours a week welding and grinding. $h!t job. but, part of my recovery.

But, the WORST thing, on which Jack Del Rio and I agree, is that the NFL won't allow a team to work with a player after they've been suspended! Pete bemoaned this in Josh Gordon's case. NFL teams have a ton of (local) resources that no one else has, and can be instrumental in a player's recovery.

Changes need to be made.

First of all congrats and wishing you continued success in your recovery.

You made an excellent point about the NFL's attitude toward addiction. By treating it like a character flaw they miss the chance to change/help a man and enhance the league at the same time. Josh Gordon has never been accused of being a bad human being but has the disease of addiction to overcome. My God! The NFL and many in society need to reconsider how we can work with addicts to help them overcome the grip of addiction. He risk of helping a soul out does surely outweigh the societal risk of allowing one to wallow and fall into the depths of crime and self destruction.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If AS has overcome any issues enough to work, that's important.

But not the only thing. Who knows how much of the DV, weapons etc. were tied to SA and to other issues having to do with his personality or other factors. It usually is a mix in these cases, but he's gonna face big stressors coming back since 2015.

The other thing: .it's been five years since he played and even if completely healthy, that's an issue in itself. Ppl were clowning Marshawn for being out for 18 months.

The Cowboys took a flier on him so we'll see.