Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LT Trent Williams to the 49ers

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
LT Trent Williams to the 49ers
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:16 am

Re: LT Trent Williams to the 49ers
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:57 am
  • John Lynch is very good at this.

But I do think there is a ceiling until they get an upper echelon qb and have to start paying upper echelon qb money.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:24 am
  • Can we trade the 49ers and Cardinals for the Chargers and Raiders? This is insane why can't the NFC West have three dumb teams like the AFC East?
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:33 am
  • KinesProf wrote:John Lynch is very good at this.

But I do think there is a ceiling until they get an upper echelon qb and have to start paying upper echelon qb money.

They're already paying upper echelon QB money, and already have such a QB according to some of us.

It's nice that Seattle had Wilson making Kurt Warner grocery shelve stocking money for a few years.....two SBs in, and then when he made high 8 figures he hasn't been to the NFC Championship since.

By this logic, Garoppolo is already better than Wilson. Or the 2019 49ers were better than all configurations of the Seahawks going back to 2015.

Or maybe none of those last two statements are true. But yours sure af aren't.....
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:42 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:Can we trade the 49ers and Cardinals for the Chargers and Raiders? This is insane why can't the NFC West have three dumb teams like the AFC East?

During our 2013 SB run, the NFCWest was the toughest division in the league. Iron sharpens iron, and I expect we'll be better for it.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:47 am
  • If iron sharpens iron, why have the Patriots made it to so many championships?

Iron can ding up iron pretty good too.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:11 pm
  • Should be fun having him and Sherman in the same locker room.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm
  • I'm I hearing right? He hasn't actually played since the end of the 2018 season?
    Last edited by TAB420 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:57 pm
  • You're hearing right. He refused to play in 2019-20 because he was upset over the medical staff mishandling his cancerous condition.

The Redskins wouldn't trade him in the fall even though they could have gotten a first for him. Maybe even two. The day before the trade deadline, they tried to reach out to the Browns--who they blew off--but the Browns were no longer interested.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:51 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:John Lynch is very good at this.

They're already paying upper echelon QB money, and already have such a QB according to some of us.

It's nice that Seattle had Wilson making Kurt Warner grocery shelve stocking money for a few years.....two SBs in, and then when he made high 8 figures he hasn't been to the NFC Championship since.

By this logic, Garoppolo is already better than Wilson. Or the 2019 49ers were better than all configurations of the Seahawks going back to 2015.

Or maybe none of those last two statements are true. But yours sure af aren't.....

LOL. Nice pretzel logic. Crappollo has won exactly ZERO Super Bowls in which he started, he choked bad in the most recent Super Bowl.

I dont count the 2 when he was holding the clipboard and not playing in the game. Madge from the Pats accounting department has 2 Super Bowl rings, and she played as many snaps as Crappollo did in those games.

Your teams weakness is at QB, like it or not.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:56 pm
  • NINEster wrote:

I feel it's very accurate statement. Jimmy is not the QB you want when the game is on the line, period. i'm not saying he won't get there, But he's not there, not yet.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:58 am
  • What Ninester is saying is accurate. 9ers made it to a super bowl paying their QB top 10 money.

Seattle has not since paying Wilson.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 am
  • TAB420 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

I feel it's very accurate statement. Jimmy is not the QB you want when the game is on the line, period. i'm not saying he won't get there, But he's not there, not yet.

You obviously dont watch Niner games. At least he didnt throw a pick at the goal line losing the Super Bowl. What a choke artist. <——thats your illogical, uninformed reasoning right there
    Stanley
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 pm
  • Stanley wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

You obviously dont watch Niner games. At least he didnt throw a pick at the goal line losing the Super Bowl. What a choke artist. <——thats your illogical, uninformed reasoning right there

I watch Jimmy enough to see that he gets rattled. Some players get better when the game in on their shoulders and rise to the challenge. Jimmy is not that player, not yet. This is not new news. DK himself told Clowney that they need him back because Jimmy makes bad throws under pressure (not quoting). Jimmy Garoppolo had 2.8 rating in 4th quarter. The only player w/ lower rating in 4th quarter of playoff loss since 2000 season (min 5 attempts) was Vince Young at 0.0 (1 for 5, 6 yards INT) vs in 4th quarter vs Chargers 1/6/08.

Last night in #SuperBowlLIV

Jimmy G with *NO Pressure:
    86% comp
    199 yards
    1 TD
    119.5 passer rating

Jimmy G when *UNDER PRESSURE:
    11% comp
    20 yards
    2 INT, 1 SK
    2.8 passer rating.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm
  • After the Redskins' wild card playoff loss against the Seattle Seahawks on January 6, 2013, Williams struck Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman in the face. He was fined $7,875 for the incident.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Williams
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm
  • You here to troll, or chat?

Provide some logical, informed reasoning instead...

Stanley wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:After the Redskins' wild card playoff loss against the Seattle Seahawks on January 6, 2013, Williams struck Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman in the face. He was fined $7,875 for the incident.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Williams

I doubt it matters at all.. Was 7 years ago, they're millionaires, teammates, and getting on in years.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:You here to troll, or chat?

Provide some logical, informed reasoning instead...

Stanley wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

On which part?
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am
  • ...so set aside the Garoppolo bickering....

I love the move for Trent Williams. Losing Staley could have been a huge loss. I feel bad for Joe because his last game was the Super Bowl, but good to see they've identified a replacement.

IF (and its a big if) Williams is the same guy he was or close, he is a PERFECT fit for Shanahans offense, and likely even an upgrade from the 35 year old, injured Staley last year. I couldn't be happier with that move given Joes retirement.

This offseason has been interesting.

Buckner: I HATE losing him. Love that guy...but 21 mill per year is pretty steep. I personally wanted CeeDee Lamb at that spot, but getting Kinlaw AND a draft pick in the move down that was used later in the move up was about as good as I could have asked for.

I have no expectation that Kinlaw will be as good as Buckner, but I think he'll be very good. 15-20 mil over the next 4 years is also much beter than 84 mil.

Sanders: Kinda sucked to see him go after giving up the draft capitol, but again, I didn't like that price tag. Good but aging player and great locker room presence. In this case, I MUCH prefer Aiyuk. Far less $$$, much bigger upside and fits what they do perfectly. As I said, I'd have preferred Lamb, but Aiyuk is a good consolation prize and I greatly prefer him to Sanders. The slight move down to 14 also netted them the pick to help them move up on Aiyuk. So, Buck for Kinlaw isn't straight up. Its Kinlaw and a part of Aiyuk.

Staley: As I stated before, Ideal replacement for Staley, assuming he's healthy.

So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:04 am
  • "Marvin49"

"So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad."

Maybe...but that was one of the main points being made above. You had three holds, that were held by proven NFL players being filled by rookies and a player that hasn't played since 2018. Yes the positions are filled, but only time will tell if it's "not bad" or not.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:13 am
  • TAB420 wrote:"Marvin49"

"So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad."

Maybe...but that was one of the main points being made above. You had three holds, that were held by proven NFL players being filled by rookies and a player that hasn't played since 2018. Yes the positions are filled, but only time will tell if it's "not bad" or not.

Well, by "not bad" I don't mean "problem solved".

I mean they've done a good job of addressing concerns. Nothing is a sure thing. Given the circumstances I don't think they could have managed it much better. Time will tell if those moves pay off.

I mean they came into this with no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick, a DT who wanted 21 mil per and not a ton of cap space and parlayed that into Kinlaw, Aiyuk and Williams. I'm not complainin'.

Additionally, not paying Buck that money gave them the space to resign Jimmie Ward, Arik Armstead, and Ronald Blair, IE they didn't have to create additional holes.

Next year, should they actually play the season, should be interesting. Yes, Niners made the SB, but they were HAMMERED with injuries all year and in particular at 2 positions, OT and WR.

That's what made the Emmanuel Sanders trade necessary to begin with. Now they'll have an experienced Deebo, they get Jalen Hurd and Trent Tayler back, AND they add Aiyuk. Should be fun.

...and BTW, hope everyone is safe. Trying times. Getting serious cabin fever.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:"Marvin49"

Not bad."

I mean they've done a good job of addressing concerns. Nothing is a sure thing. Given the circumstances I don't think they could have managed it much better. Time will tell if those moves pay off.

I mean they came into this with no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick, a DT who wanted 21 mil per and not a ton of cap space and parlayed that into Kinlaw, Aiyuk and Williams. I'm not complainin'.

Additionally, not paying Buck that money gave them the space to resign Jimmie Ward, Arik Armstead, and Ronald Blair, IE they didn't have to create additional holes.

Next year, should they actually play the season, should be interesting. Yes, Niners made the SB, but they were HAMMERED with injuries all year and in particular at 2 positions, OT and WR.

That's what made the Emmanuel Sanders trade necessary to begin with. Now they'll have an experienced Deebo, they get Jalen Hurd and Trent Tayler back, AND they add Aiyuk. Should be fun.

Agreed. The positions are filled and I'm sure the best attempts were made (why wouldn't they be?) but at this point, it's a crap shoot. That's all I was saying about this. Anytime a pro bowl player is traded or released its a huge risk. I get that you save money but best case is you find someone as good, and that's best case.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am
  • John shoulda sign him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:11 am
  • TAB420 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    TAB420 wrote:"Marvin49"

Not bad."

Agreed. The positions are filled and I'm sure the best attempts were made (why wouldn't they be?) but at this point, it's a crap shoot. That's all I was saying about this. Anytime a pro bowl player is traded or released its a huge risk. I get that you save money but best case is you find someone as good, and that's best case.

Right. Why wouldn't they be? The difference is instead of losing Buck for nothing but a possible comp pick, they got the 13th pick and a promising player in the draft, plus the ammunition to move up from 31 to get the WR they wanted. Shanahan said post draft that Aiyuk was his favorite WR to watch, but did admit he really liked Lamb. Not a shock tho. At this point its really easy to spot WRs that Shanahan will gravitate to.

All of them have either been RBs or PRs at some point in their careers. Given that Garoppolo isn't a great deep ball thrower, it makes sense that the offense is centered on quick pass, RAC plays so loading up on RAC players makes a ton of sense.

Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, Hurd....hell even their 7th rounder Jauan Jennings.....all fit that mold.

...also notable, they did NOT pick up the 5th year option on Solomon Thomas. They needed to get a guy to fill Buckners spot.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:37 am
  • 2 rookies and a former All Pro. If Williams returns to form he is actually better than Staley. Especially Staley last year, he was really beat up
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information