Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sherman blames 49ers D, not Jimmy G

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Thu May 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Sherman blames 49ers D, not Jimmy G
Thu May 07, 2020 8:27 pm
  • Little column A, little column B...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 pm
  • Honestly, if the the 49ers don't break down on ONE PLAY, they win the SB.

3rd and 15. Game flipped on that play.

No excuses. Chiefs deserve the win. Just goes to show how small the difference is between winning and losing.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu May 07, 2020 9:50 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113032/article/sherman-blames-49ers-d-not-jimmy-g-for-sb-liv-loss

Where was this Sherman after SB49?

Combination of a more mature Sherman plus better environment, at least with regards to how the QB is treated (i.e. not babied).
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 am
  • I take it as supply and demand. While he was on the Seahawks, he was on the top spot. After his Achilles injury, he became more loyal to whoever gave him a chance, and in stepped the 49ers which is poetic considering he ruined their playoff run the year the Seahawks won the Superbowl and they weren't the same before he joined them. Time and demand changes people.

Also, of course it's not Jimmy G's fault because the 49ers didn't trust him to win the game. In the words of Frank Clark: "They paid you all that money to run the ball"
    jmahon316
    NET Veteran

Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113032/article/sherman-blames-49ers-d-not-jimmy-g-for-sb-liv-loss

Combination of a more mature Sherman plus better environment, at least with regards to how the QB is treated (i.e. not babied).

The dude was literally baby sat by his head coach the entire 2nd half.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri May 08, 2020 2:37 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113032/article/sherman-blames-49ers-d-not-jimmy-g-for-sb-liv-loss

Do explain how Russ is more "babied" than Jimmy?
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 pm
  • Well.. you don't want to throw your QB under the bus too soon.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri May 08, 2020 8:41 pm
  • Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.
    BubbaGump
    NET Starter

Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 am
  • Not surprised at all. HIS defense gave up a 10 point lead in 49 and last year. But somehow it's Russ' fault I'm sure :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 pm
  • BubbaGump wrote:Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.

Let me clarify something for the ignorant. Shanahan did put it in The QB’s hands. Jimmy missed Sanders and threw picks. If Shanahan continues to run the ball we win. The Chiefs has no answer for the run game. Shannan got cute and Jimmy failed. The D faltered on a wide open receiver. Game over. So your ignorant uneducated statement has no meaning nor substance.

Oh “Second Coming of Christ”, wow please continue with you hyperbole.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm
  • I'm sure emotions used to ride higher during those times with the hawks. One cause he was younger and 2 that team really grew up together.

They respect each other tremendously, which is quite known. It's poetic justice that Sherm has twice ended the Niners. Once with the tip and the second time when he got burned by Sammy Watkins in a 49ers jersey.

All in all, Sherm is a dope guy.
    ApnaHawk
    NET Starter

Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 pm
  • rlkats wrote:
    BubbaGump wrote:Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.

Let me clarify something for the ignorant. Shanahan did put it in The QB’s hands. Jimmy missed Sanders and threw picks. If Shanahan continues to run the ball we win. The Chiefs has no answer for the run game. Shannan got cute and Jimmy failed. The D faltered on a wide open receiver. Game over. So your ignorant uneducated statement has no meaning nor substance.

Second coming.

Jimmy Grappalo second cumming

She said no.

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 14, 2020 11:39 am
  • I don’t know what game you were watching on SB Sunday but late in the game it was evident that the 49ers did not place the ball in Their QB’s hand. Maybe because he missed the receivers and played like crap like you suggest. Ignorant I think not.
    BubbaGump
    NET Starter

Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 pm
  • 49ers were up by 10 with 7 minutes left.

They lost by 11.

Sherman is right.

Garoppolo is only guilty of not pulling the game out DESPITE a defensive collapse. If the defense holds on 3rd and 15, the 49ers have a 6th ring.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu May 14, 2020 7:00 pm
  • rlkats wrote:
    BubbaGump wrote:Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.

Let me clarify something for the ignorant. Shanahan did put it in The QB’s hands. Jimmy missed Sanders and threw picks. If Shanahan continues to run the ball we win. The Chiefs has no answer for the run game. Shannan got Bevellitis and Jimmy failed. The D faltered on a wide open receiver. Game over. So your ignorant uneducated statement has no meaning nor substance.

Sorry man....had to fix the problem. I am not sure if there is a cure tho. Again Sorry. :2thumbs:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu May 14, 2020 10:51 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:49ers were up by 10 with 7 minutes left.

They lost by 11.

Sherman is right.

Garoppolo is only guilty of not pulling the game out DESPITE a defensive collapse. If the defense holds on 3rd and 15, the 49ers have a 6th ring.

No doubt your defense collapsed.

.... but Why can’t it be both?

Crappollo’s 2.8 QBR in the 4th qtr tells a different story than you are trying to spin for the Golden Boy.
    He didn’t just only miss the wide open pass to Sanders that led to the worst 4th quarter QBR in Super Bowl history.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:49ers were up by 10 with 7 minutes left.

They lost by 11.

Sherman is right.

Crappollo’s 2.8 QBR in the 4th qtr tells a different story than you are trying to spin for the Golden Boy.
    He didn’t just only miss the wide open pass to Sanders that led to the worst 4th quarter QBR in Super Bowl history.

I'm not trying to spin anything. I'm agreeing with a player who was in the game.

As for Garoppolo, he didn't play well at the end. No question. the ENTIRE TEAM effectively collapsed. The D allowed 3 straight TDs. The offense couldn't get anything going. The O-Line couldn't protect to save their lives. We now know that Staley was pretty badly hampered with a Neck issue.

Garoppolo threw an INT on a desperation throw and he missed Emmanuel Sanders. You won't see many Niner fans arguing that Jimmy played well at the end.

Here's the thing tho....if they stop 3rd and 15, they likely win the game, Jimmy doesn't throw that second INT, and he is likely the MVP of the game.

Thats how games swing on one play.

This isn't trolling, I'm just making a point. Was it entirely WIlsons fault he threw that INT vs NE? No. The play call was sketchy to begin with and the D just made a damn good play.

Its never the fault of one person. So for all of the "It was Jimmys fault" or "Jimmy can't win the big one", its all BS. He had won it. If the #2 ranked D and #1 ranked Pass D just does its job at the end, Niners have that 6th ring and Jimmy is a SB MVP.

Thats not blaming anyone either. That's just a fact. That's what happened. I'm not looking to put anyone's head on a platter. As big as the SB is, its one game. Things happen. Now, if we actually get a season, you start over. Simple as that.

Jimmy got his team to the SB in his first and only season as a starter in a year when he was coming back from a torn ACL, he lost both Tackles for stretches of the season, and lost several of his top pass targets. Yes, they got the on the strength of a great D and a monstrous run game, but they aren't the first NFL team to do so....like say the Seahawks.

Year 1 with Jimmy as a full time starter was pretty damn good and I ain't complaining.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:49ers were up by 10 with 7 minutes left.

They lost by 11.

Sherman is right.

I'm not trying to spin anything. I'm agreeing with a player who was in the game.

As for Garoppolo, he didn't play well at the end. No question. the ENTIRE TEAM effectively collapsed. The D allowed 3 straight TDs. The offense couldn't get anything going. The O-Line couldn't protect to save their lives. We now know that Staley was pretty badly hampered with a Neck issue.

Garoppolo threw an INT on a desperation throw and he missed Emmanuel Sanders. You won't see many Niner fans arguing that Jimmy played well at the end.

Here's the thing tho....if they stop 3rd and 15, they likely win the game, Jimmy doesn't throw that second INT, and he is likely the MVP of the game.

Thats how games swing on one play.

This isn't trolling, I'm just making a point. Was it entirely WIlsons fault he threw that INT vs NE? No. The play call was sketchy to begin with and the D just made a damn good play.

Its never the fault of one person. So for all of the "It was Jimmys fault" or "Jimmy can't win the big one", its all BS. He had won it. If the #2 ranked D and #1 ranked Pass D just does its job at the end, Niners have that 6th ring and Jimmy is a SB MVP.

Thats not blaming anyone either. That's just a fact. That's what happened. I'm not looking to put anyone's head on a platter. As big as the SB is, its one game. Things happen. Now, if we actually get a season, you start over. Simple as that.

Jimmy got his team to the SB in his first and only season as a starter in a year when he was coming back from a torn ACL, he lost both Tackles for stretches of the season, and lost several of his top pass targets. Yes, they got the on the strength of a great D and a monstrous run game, but they aren't the first NFL team to do so....like say the Seahawks.

Year 1 with Jimmy as a full time starter was pretty damn good and I ain't complaining.

It was somewhat entertaining. A staunch niner friend of mine did not watch any of our games with me as I am the elephant in the room that just smiles when we win. I think he will prolly stay away again this year as that may be a jinx that he may consider works. I dont mind. It is just a game....entertaining, too.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat May 16, 2020 8:03 am
  • rlkats wrote:

We all watched the game, fella.

Its not the number of passes, it's the play calls. The chiefs put 10 in the box at the start of the 4th. They were going to sell out to stop the run and short psssing game. The 9ers tried to stretch the D one time on 11 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Everything was short hitches and crossing patterns. The run game was getting stuffed.

That's for a reason. It's s reflection of the trust in the QB, and a reflection of coach who did something similar in a very similar situation with another team.

They may get it worked out. They have the players. But JG was nothing more than Trent Dilfer for most of that game. And even Dilfer went deep a few times in his super bowl.

Shanahan has now blown two sizeable leads in a super bowl.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 16, 2020 4:06 pm
  • Sherm’s smart. Any blame he puts on the O will probably be met by a gif of the Watkins catch.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 5:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    rlkats wrote:

Its not the number of passes, it's the play calls. The chiefs put 10 in the box at the start of the 4th. They were going to sell out to stop the run and short psssing game. The 9ers tried to stretch the D one time on 11 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Everything was short hitches and crossing patterns. The run game was getting stuffed.

That's for a reason. It's s reflection of the trust in the QB, and a reflection of coach who did something similar in a very similar situation with another team.

They may get it worked out. They have the players. But JG was nothing more than Trent Dilfer for most of that game. And even Dilfer went deep a few times in his super bowl.

I always find it interesting that somehow Shanahan is blamed for the Altlanta-NE game when it was Dan Quinn as the HC and his D that couldn't stop anything. If you put up 28 pts ina Super Bowl, that should be enough to win if the D doesn't implode.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    rlkats wrote:

I always find it interesting that somehow Shanahan is blamed for the Altlanta-NE game when it was Dan Quinn as the HC and his D that couldn't stop anything. If you put up 28 pts ina Super Bowl, that should be enough to win if the D doesn't implode.

When you have a 25 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr in the SB, you run the ball..... EVERY PLAY!
    I know in your world Shanny is the perfect coach and perfect play caller, but he got too cute with the pass in Atlanta’s SB, and this last one for your team. The moment has gotten too big for him twice in the Super Bowl. Just like the moment got too big for Darrell Bevell in SB 49 with the “2nd and wrong” playcall. Chokes happened in all 3 situations.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    rlkats wrote:

When you have a 25 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr in the SB, you run the ball..... EVERY PLAY!
    I know in your world Shanny is the perfect coach and perfect play caller, but he got too cute with the pass in Atlanta’s SB, and this last one for your team. The moment has gotten too big for him twice in the Super Bowl. Just like the moment got too big for Darrell Bevell in SB 49 with the “2nd and wrong” playcall. Chokes happened in all 3 situations.

You misunderstand me. Shanahan certainly had a hand in the collapse.

I just don't understand why when people talk about that game it seems to rest 100% on HIS shoulders and not the HC of the team who was hired on his strength as a DC. I mean Shanahan GOT them that 25 point lead and led one of the best offenses in NFL history that year.

Seems odd to me that Quinn seems to get a pass on that one.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I just don't understand why when people talk about that game it seems to rest 100% on HIS shoulders and not the HC of the team who was hired on his strength as a DC. I mean Shanahan GOT them that 25 point lead and led one of the best offenses in NFL history that year.

Most head coaches delegate responsibilities.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Most head coaches delegate responsibilities.

Of course they do. The Falcons Offense ran into a brick wall and stopped producing. Shanahan rightfully has been criticized. WHat I don't get is how Quinn skates on his D going from allowing 3 pts to 34 points in the same timeframe.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 pm
  • They didn't run into a brick wall... much like the chiefs game, the falcon ran into a coach willing to change things up.

Shanahan takes the blame for the lack of production in that falcons game. I don't really care if Quinn gets blame for the D. He's the head coach.. he gets the one on the losing end of the box score forever.

I'm talking about shanahan. Will be interesting to see if he ever gets there again, how he reacts. Not many coaches get multiple chances.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 am
  • Mahomes gave me trouble in Madden 2020, but I sucked it up and beat his ass. If I can do it, SF's D should be able to.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Of course they do. The Falcons Offense ran into a brick wall and stopped producing. Shanahan rightfully has been criticized. WHat I don't get is how Quinn skates on his D going from allowing 3 pts to 34 points in the same timeframe.

The defense was playing their guts out but the offense couldn't stay on the field to save their lives. Even a LITTLE bit of ball control offense in the second half burns some time off the clock and probably wins the game. Even with that, the offense was in a position to put a FG on the board near the end of the game to probably put the game out of reach, and managed to turn the ball over. A safe run play keeps them in FG range and burns the clock, instead they ran a pass play from the shotgun and gave the ball to Brady with time to score.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-the-falcons-defense-was-so-tired-at-the-end-of-super-bowl-li/

By the end of the game, New England had run 93 plays from scrimmage -- 99 if you include penalties. Whichever number you take is the most a team has ever run in the Super Bowl, per Pro-Football-Reference. Even if you removed the eight plays the Pats ran in overtime, that would still be true.

By way of perspective, the greatest number of plays an Atlanta opponent had run in any game this season was 81. The defense being on the field for 99 plays Sunday night was the equivalent of them playing almost another entire quarter beyond that game. Combine the sheer number of plays they faced with the style of defense they were playing for most of the game, and it's no surprise New England saw its yards per play skyrocket from 5.1 to 6.8 after halftime.

The offense and defense are supposed to put each other in position to win. The offense didn't help the D, and that's why shanahan gets the criticism.
    Torc
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information