Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dak Prescott wants +$45 mil per year, rejects $175 mil

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13

• Is he even in the top 10?
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Not only is he not top 10, is he ok? How in the world does an above average, NOT great QB turn down the highest contract in history??? wow
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I seriously hope Jerry gives him what he wants :0190l:
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• The Dalton signing is looking better by the day.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Dang, was hoping they'd be stuck with monster contract for years.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• The Cowboys know they blew it. Spending high draft picks and big money on Oline/running back was a dream to bring back 1992.

They are going to attempt the reverse Rams/Seahawks. Get a cheap Vet QB with a loaded team and see if you can get to a Superbowl that way.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:The Cowboys know they blew it. Spending high draft picks and big money on Oline/running back was a dream to bring back 1992.

They are going to attempt the reverse Rams/Seahawks. Get a cheap Vet QB with a loaded team and see if you can get to a Superbowl that way.

Dilfer and Flacco style..It has worked.
    One SB just like you know who.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• DO IT, JERRY!!!!!
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:DO IT, JERRY!!!!!

:laugh:

I know why you're saying that, but it would set another high bar for the market going forward. The cap didn't go up that much this year IIRC. Have to wait and see how that rises going forward. This season represents a lost one for profits and ultimately the salary cap is based on profits. There may not be much of an increase next year.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I'd definitely say Prescott is top 10, I'd probably take him over everyone except Wilson, Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers.
    Brady and Brees are obviously great QBs but have 1-2 years in them at most. Still that puts him in 5-10 range at most.
    Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Daniel Jones, Josh Allen all could overtake him in next few years but aren't there yet.

I mean, he's not 45 million worth, but he's definitely worth more than Wentz (32m), Ryan (30m), Cousins (28m)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    I mean, he's not 45 million worth, but he's definitely worth more than Wentz (32m), Ryan (30m), Cousins (28m)

He is more like Matt Ryan than Wentz and Cousins.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Chris Simms, the same guy who reported Wilson was almost traded to the Browns...

Yeah can we stop listening to this guy?
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Really hope they pay him more...guy is money in the bank...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Chris Simms, the same guy who reported Wilson was almost traded to the Browns...

Yeah can we stop listening to this guy?

Yep.
    Simms used to be semi-credible, lately he’s just be creating fiction. Sad.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I read Dak in last 3 yrs has a higher QBR than RW?
    I find that hard to understand and Dak was 3rd not sure where RW was.
    At some point you have to develop a system to plug in QB's to avoid
    monster contracts..Unless they cap off the positions.
    Dak isn't worth anywhere near $30mil and this is why things need to
    change.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Prescott believes he desrves Russell Wilson money. This dude hasn't sniffed a Superbowl much less won one yet he wants top QB $$. What a joke. The dude is closer to RG3 level than he is to Russell WIlson. Just imagine what Wilson would've done behind that Dallas OL (when they were healthy). If Dak played behind the Seahawk OL of the past 4-5 years, he probably would've had to retire from football.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• People are just feeding Simms crap and seeing if he is dumb enough to report it.

He may be going for the Skip and Stephen A garbage route rather than real reporting.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:I read Dak in last 3 yrs has a higher QBR than RW?
    I find that hard to understand and Dak was 3rd not sure where RW was.
    At some point you have to develop a system to plug in QB's to avoid
    monster contracts..Unless they cap off the positions.
    Dak isn't worth anywhere near $30mil and this is why things need to
    change.

QBR is a garbage stat. It is way too subjective. That's how.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• O-Line play has a big impact on ESPN's QBR from my research and study.

It's not really worth using as a metric. Passer Rating is flawed as well but at least we know the formula, so we can account for its flaws. With the rule changes making it hard to compare ratings between older QB's and new QB's especially. Marino, Montana, and Young in today's game would be something else.

Dak piled up his numbers last year against the Redskins and the Giants. And was something like 0-8 against winning teams.

He is a good QB that has gotten a little better each year, but he is not transcendent. So making him the highest paid player would not be wise.

The problem though is QBs like Derek Carr have been made the highest paid, so the way it has gone the last 10 years is the next merely good QB up for a new contract becomes the highest paid. So Dak is justified in his negotiation.

If I were the Cowboys, I would remove the franchise tag and let him out onto the open market. I don't see a team out there that would be willing to give him anywhere close to what he is looking for. It's why Cam still remains unsigned as well, as all 32 teams are already decided on their guy at QB for the 2020 season.

The Cowboys have all the leverage currently.

This is a very interesting negotiation as it could begin a new precedent that teams are going to start wising up when paying QBs that are not future HoFers. Like the the Flacco's and the Carr's.

Dak's best bet is to go the Kirk Cousins route. Play on the Franchise Tag, and continue to bet on himself.

I hope the Cowboys break the bank for him btw.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:O-Line play has a big impact on ESPN's QBR from my research and study.

It's not really worth using as a metric. Passer Rating is flawed as well but at least we know the formula, so we can account for its flaws. With the rule changes making it hard to compare ratings between older QB's and new QB's especially. Marino, Montana, and Young in today's game would be something else.

Dak piled up his numbers last year against the Redskins and the Giants. And was something like 0-8 against winning teams.

He is a good QB that has gotten a little better each year, but he is not transcendent. So making him the highest paid player would not be wise.

The problem though is QBs like Derek Carr have been made the highest paid, so the way it has gone the last 10 years is the next merely good QB up for a new contract becomes the highest paid. So Dak is justified in his negotiation.

If I were the Cowboys, I would remove the franchise tag and let him out onto the open market. I don't see a team out there that would be willing to give him anywhere close to what he is looking for. It's why Cam still remains unsigned as well, as all 32 teams are already decided on their guy at QB for the 2020 season.

The Cowboys have all the leverage currently.

This is a very interesting negotiation as it could begin a new precedent that teams are going to start wising up when paying QBs that are not future HoFers. Like the the Flacco's and the Carr's.

Dak's best bet is to go the Kirk Cousins route. Play on the Franchise Tag, and continue to bet on himself.

I hope the Cowboys break the bank for him btw.

Agreed! Money post Fade!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Fade wrote:If I were the Cowboys, I would remove the franchise tag and let him out onto the open market. I don't see a team out there that would be willing to give him anywhere close to what he is looking for. It's why Cam still remains unsigned as well, as all 32 teams are already decided on their guy at QB for the 2020 season.

They really are essentially negotiating with themselves. I would tend to doubt the story because I can't see the 'Boys being dumb enough to offer that much. On the open market, there's no way he breaks 30.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Pay the man Jerry! And we'll rejoice as you royally screw your team even more.
    Elemas
    NET Starter

• From my work computer I can't get to YouTube, but google "Samuel Gold Dak" where he makes the argument that Dak is worth 35 mil. The vid is a bunch of Dak throwing from a pristine pocket to wide open receivers against the Giants and Redskins. Then, Gold goes on to discuss drops, and proceeds to show Dak rifling the ball a yard behind his receivers. Gold talks about how Dak excels at tight, on-time throws to his #1 read when they are wide open (when he's not throwing behind guys). Ummmm. And about how when Dak has to progress to read 2 and 3 he struggles. Congratulations Sam, you just described the same NFL QB skillset any journeyman possesses.

I've been on the fence about Gold; he's angling to be a Brett Kollman type, but this vid isn't going to help any quest to gain a larger following, and honestly makes me question everything else he's ever done.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Gold is putting waaayy too much stock into the first 3 games when Dak was beating on tomato cans, with teams not having film on the new scheme and OC yet.

After that Dak leveled off tremendously.

Gold made a business decision. More people will click on the video by going against the grain. Or maybe he genuinely believes he's worth it despite having him ranked in his tier 3 grouping of QBs?

**Nevermind** He's a Redskin's fan. LOL :D He wants the Cowboys to crash and burn.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Dak is in that Alex Smith category of QBs that are good enough to get you a #1 seed when everything around them is perfect, but don't have the ability to win games consistently on their own. If I was Dallas, I'd rather have Dalton on a reasonable contract, then Dak on anything higher than $33M.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Here's some fun numbers:

On the full season, Dak's statline read:

388/596/4902/30/11/99.7, 8-8 record.

His line vs. just the Giants and Redskins:

96/130/1234/14/2/132.7, 4-0 record.

His line vs. everyone else:

292/466/3668/16/9/90.5, 4-8 record.

:sarcasm_on: Yeah, really top 10 material, there. :sarcasm_off:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Here's some fun numbers:

On the full season, Dak's statline read:

388/596/4902/30/11/99.7, 8-8 record.

His line vs. just the Giants and Redskins:

96/130/1234/14/2/132.7, 4-0 record.

His line vs. everyone else:

292/466/3668/16/9/90.5, 4-8 record.

:sarcasm_on: Yeah, really top 10 material, there. :sarcasm_off:

Thanks for posting these numbers. It really rams home what I posted earlier.

Dak also has been placed into one the most optimal situations in football.

Great O-Line, Very good WRs, TEs, & RBs. I also thought Kellen Moore was impressive in his first year calling plays.

Andy Dalton was pretty good in Cincy before his O-Line went to crap and AJ Green & his TE started getting hurt. The Bengals failed him.

I don't know where Dalton is at after getting David Carr'd for several seasons, but he may be closer to Dak than some might think, now that he has a better supporting cast around him in Dallas.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :D :o ;)

Dude is mediocre on his best days.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information